Ballroom and Latin American Dance Questions

Comments

• Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JDarcy wrote: »
    Thank you for the heads up! I'll definitely check that out

After the first proper ballroom/latin lesson at the weekend it looks like they are planning to run regular classes which I am over the moon about. I'm loving ballroom especially so far, it just feels so lovely and elegant and natural to me.

RE DSI, its on a break at the moment but will resume at 9.50pm with Amateur Rising Sars - the semi final.
    Glad you are enjoying your dancing, and such good news that they are continuing classes.
  • JdenverJdenver Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the heads up on DSI site, very interesting.

There was a combination of figures danced by some dancers there being what looked like to me a bounce fallaway into a tumble turn. Ive seen Marcus Hilton do this but can't work out what the timing would be in a waltz. Im sure someone on here can help me.

As I understand it, the tumble turn is 1&23 but the bounce fallaway I think has an extra step (unless Im picking it up wrong) so not sure on that timing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jdenver wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up on DSI site, very interesting.

There was a combination of figures danced by some dancers there being what looked like to me a bounce fallaway into a tumble turn. Ive seen Marcus Hilton do this but can't work out what the timing would be in a waltz. Im sure someone on here can help me.

As I understand it, the tumble turn is 1&23 but the bounce fallaway I think has an extra step (unless Im picking it up wrong) so not sure on that timing.

Do you mean a bounce fallaway with a weave ending into TT?
    Bounce fallaway sometimes called lilt fallaway due to the lovely lilting action.
    These variations can be danced to whatever timing you like, but I will advise you of what we would typically dance.
    Bounce fallaway, commencing Mans left foot, coming forward, 1 & 2,3
    we would then dance 1,2 & 3&
    Always easier to demonstrate but hope it makes a little sense. ! By dancing the syncopation at the end of the TT, you create more impact. Just remember to soften then, into the standing leg before you power into the next figure
  • JdenverJdenver Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Thats great Jennifer, thanks for the prompt reply. I was getting confused thinking you don't do the weave ending but after trying it, the first 3 steps of what I was calling the TT are similar to the first 3 steps of the weave ending so I see where your coming from.

Sorry to sound so thick over this, thanks again.
  • Ellie_Ellie_ Posts: 1,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone got a link to a video of riccardo and yulia dancing in a blackpool final where riccardo's wearing plasters on his face bc yulia caught him in the face during their previous dance?

One of my dance teachers told me about it and I kind of love watching videos of people plowing on through adversity so Id love to be able to see it? :)
  • kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ask your dance teacher which year this was, and we might be able to find it. Though to be honest, a plaster would be unlikely to show up on a Blackpool youtube clip as there are very few real close ups, plus it - the plaster - would probably be disguised with a liberal layer of make up!

Given the length of false nails female competitive dancers use, it's small wonder someone hasn't lost an eye by now, never mind a few scratches!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Ask your dance teacher which year this was, and we might be able to find it. Though to be honest, a plaster would be unlikely to show up on a Blackpool youtube clip as there are very few real close ups, plus it - the plaster - would probably be disguised with a liberal layer of make up!

Given the length of false nails female competitive dancers use, it's small wonder someone hasn't lost an eye by now, never mind a few scratches!

I think it was either last year or the year before and I think the injury happened during a paso doble? Apparently it flapped around a bit during the jive, lol! I've had a look on youtube myself and couldnt find it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Riccardo & Yulia dancing jive in Final at Blackpool in 2014 is on youtube, but too far away to see faces clearly let alone something like a plaster!
  • AngelaAngela Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it this year? I remember seeing something on my facebook from DSI with Riccardo having blood on his face.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re peter andre's paso doble this week to the pirates of the caribbean theme: Can Paso Doble be in 6/8 time?

I've listened to the song about a thousand times and its time signature is really bothering me. WHAT IS IT?
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always thought that track as a tango and with tango and paso having same time signature of 2/4 then suppose it will work though much prefer it as a tango
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Ellie_ wrote: »
    Re peter andre's paso doble this week to the pirates of the caribbean theme: Can Paso Doble be in 6/8 time?

I've listened to the song about a thousand times and its time signature is really bothering me. WHAT IS IT?

Blimey Ellie you must have spent ages digging in the basement for this thread. Here's a brush - you have cobwebs in your hair.

I don't think SCD worry too much about time signatures to be honest. If the track fits the theme or the witty juxtaposition they are going for who cares if we have them waltzing in 5/4 time or doing a salsa to a march! :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bendymixer wrote: »
    I have always thought that track as a tango and with tango and paso having same time signature of 2/4 then suppose it will work though much prefer it as a tango

I find it so so hard not to count it as "one two three one two three." I have heard it used for tango but I'm sure they'd changed the time signature in some way.
  • Ann_DancerAnn_Dancer Posts: 2,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should normally be 2/4 for competitions

However from searching the internet it seems that a Paso Doble can more unusually can be written in 6/8 time (news to me!). There is an article explaining how you would step on beats 1 and 4 making it very slow. So I guess if it is in 6/8 time (I haven't listened to the music) we're going to get a slo mo paso!

Here you are: http://dnotp.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/paso-doble-music.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann_Dancer wrote: »
    Should normally be 2/4 for competitions

However from searching the internet it seems that a Paso Doble can more unusually can be written in 6/8 time (news to me!). There is an article explaining how you would step on beats 1 and 4 making it very slow. So I guess if it is in 6/8 time (I haven't listened to the music) we're going to get a slo mo paso!

Here you are: http://dnotp.blogspot.co.uk/2010/01/paso-doble-music.html

Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better. This is the music;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRh-dzrI4Z4

I dunno... I can count six beats... but I can count 2 beats as well... but it just feels wrong to do that. The song has such a lilting feel to me I find it difficult to sustain. The only bit where I can easily is the bit at the very beginning, the first five seconds or so.

Thank god I don't have to dance to it because it would be a mess.
    Forum Member

I dunno... I can count six beats... but I can count 2 beats as well... but it just feels wrong to do that. The song has such a lilting feel to me I find it difficult to sustain. The only bit where I can easily is the bit at the very beginning, the first five seconds or so.

So ideal for someone with just 4 weeks Ballroom training then? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Omg! That's awful for a paso! :(. Counting all 6 beats puts the accents in the wrong place. Counting 2 is reeeeaaaalllly slooooooow.
  • Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    I would genuinely get a migraine dancing a Paso Doble to that. :confused:

I'm not any kind of musical man, but it seems that, while there is a 2/4 and a 6/8, the 6/8 is very clearly picked out, while the 2/4 is often a bit... muddy? It seems like some beats are missing? I'unno, just a layman's view.
  • Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    Omg! That's awful for a paso! :(. Counting all 6 beats puts the accents in the wrong place. Counting 2 is reeeeaaaalllly slooooooow.

That's exactly what my post above was trying (and failing) to say, thank you. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monsieur23 wrote: »
    That's exactly what my post above was trying (and failing) to say, thank you. :D

Lol :D I think we are all agreed it is a rubbish choice of music, and as An Thropologist says, particularly so for a non experienced dancer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So ideal for someone with just 4 weeks Ballroom training then? :)

I think they're just going to do a very very bizarre paso doble to it. They used it on DWTS and I personally found it a bit manic and busy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qU0FLA7Qww

I can count a pacy two now! I still don't think I could sustain a dance to it though because the 6 beat rhythm way is so strong to me.

I'm counting 1 2 3 2 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 (bold shows the two count, obviously.)

Monsieur23 wrote: »
    I would genuinely get a migraine dancing a Paso Doble to that. :confused:

I'm not any kind of musical man, but it seems that, while there is a 2/4 and a 6/8, the 6/8 is very clearly picked out, while the 2/4 is often a bit... muddy? It seems like some beats are missing? I'unno, just a layman's view.

Yes, muddy is how I'd describe it too! I can count it but I have to think about it very carefully.
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Those SCD producers are mad or just don't care or more likely know nothing about dance to be giving this to a newcomer .

Imagine the carnage if they gave that to Daniel, Kirsty or Carol :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Usually paso-sounding music in 6 time is classed as a Spanish Waltz. We once danced a comp where the music was in 6 time - it was car crash, and we were professional. Fortunately the chairman of judges insisted on a "proper" piece of music being played.

However, Dave Arch could easily adapt the tune to the correct paso timing, but I very much doubt that will happen. And as very few of the scd paso dobles are ever particularly authentic I doubt it will matter much what timing the music has!!!!
    Forum Member
    kaycee wrote: »
    Usually paso-sounding music in 6 time is classed as a Spanish Waltz. We once danced a comp where the music was in 6 time - it was car crash, and we were professional. Fortunately the chairman of judges insisted on a "proper" piece of music being played.

However, Dave Arch could easily adapt the tune to the correct paso timing, but I very much doubt that will happen. And as very few of the scd paso dobles are ever particularly authentic I doubt it will matter much what timing the music has!!!!

Kaycee. Its in the wrong thread really but last night some of us were trying to understand some of the technique in the QS ( as inspired by Karen Hardy's comments and Peters knees!) You may be able to enlighten us if you have a moment and the inclination. :)

Its in the Peter plodding Quick Step thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaycee. Its in the wrong thread really but last night some of us were trying to understand some of the technique in the QS ( as inspired by Karen Hardy's comments and Peters knees!) You may be able to enlighten us if you have a moment and the inclination. :)

Its in the Peter plodding Quick Step thread.

I did not see ITT so do not know what Karen said or what she was refering to, but as soon as I see you refer to knees, I assume you mean the awful promenade runs....I nearly spat out my wine in shock, I don;t think I have ever seen them done so badly.