Options

DWTS Season 20: confirmation, speculation and news

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    Well done to Rumer, as much as I wanted Riker to win, she was a fantastic competitor :)
  • Options
    Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    YES!!!

...Rumer & Val, Season 20 Champions!
  • Options
    DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a let down. If you can predict the winner in week 1 not on dancing ability then either I have hidden mystical powers or the DWTS producers need to get more subtle. Ah well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Derek has been overscored again and again and he has never been given a terrible partner. Please at least be civil when giving your opinion.

I feel like putting the Gordon Ramsey idiot sandwich meme...

Joanna Krupa, model who had the rhythm of a bin rolling down the stairs
    Jennifer Grey, once a dancer, granted, but not ballroom and at the time of the show 50 years old who nearly pulled out mid season because of age related injuries exacerbated by dance.
    Amber Riley, self confessed "big girl" up against trained dancers.
    Amy Purdy HAD NO LEGS!!!
    Even Kellie wasn't the early favourite, she was up against Zendaya ffs.

If you take out Nastia and Nicole (the latter CHOSE Derek as her partner) Derek has never had the pre season favourite. As for over scoring, if you think that's something limited to Derek's partners you haven't been paying much attention to the rest of the competition...
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damahepa wrote: »

Jennifer Grey, once a dancer, granted, but not ballroom and at the time of the show 50 years old who nearly pulled out mid season because of age related injuries exacerbated by dance.
    Amy Purdy HAD NO LEGS!!!

If you take out Nastia and Nicole (the latter CHOSE Derek as her partner) Derek has never had the pre season favourite. As for over scoring, if you think that's something limited to Derek's partners you haven't been paying much attention to the rest of the competition...

None of the above was 'terrible' which was what j4Rose said. 'Terrible' is Winona Ryder or that woman Tony got with loads of kids. Other pros being shown favouritism (Val foremost among them) doesn't mean Derek is not favoured. There's an utter lack of imagination in the casting most of the time.

Anyway, congrats to Rumer. She was one of the best three dancers this season (imo, naturally) and the one who captured my imagination most. The whole thing seemed to be a joyous experience for her, which was lovely to see.
  • Options
    BeyonceCastleBeyonceCastle Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed. Derek had to pull out decent and unique choreo for Jennifer eg jive
    because her neck injury just wasn't up to it. Amber's knees were knacked and given she had a larger figure, could not do the athletic american smooth type lifts and Amy had difficulties with the waltz, plus she surprised everybody with the progress she made.

I assume you mean he has never had a complete and utter duffer from the get go.
    But that's because they give them all to Tony.
    Tony is the US equivalent of Anton bless him.
    Derek is like Pasha or Artem (in the UK Artem only ever had one mid par partner Fern and even then she was Strictly Mum Dancing as opposed to bloody hopeless).

The only thing I would say is thatit would have been nice had Derek taken Nene in the switch up and taught a relative non-hoper a ballroom or latin instead of opting for jazz.
    That would have been fantastic, to see what he could pull out of someone with no ability, like poor Tony had to week on week...because a jazz/hip hop/african number meant she didn't have to have sway or frame, she just needed attitude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have not seen the finals in all their entirety but was there really no thank you to Len for the last decade, or a montage or a bunch of flowers? Yes, he can be a grumpy arse, but if it was definitively his last show ever you'd have thought they would have done something?
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First the final Glad Rumer and Val won. I really liked their freestyle the only one that focus on their journey and had any kind of ballroom in it

River did well Allison did a good job but had a great dancer who was easy to teach. As for their freestyle song reminds me to much of step up 3 and seriously tap and hip hop Riker could do this before the programme hence why he was hired in glee as a dancer

Noah saved his best dance for last his freestyle was great would have liked to see more of him and Sharna tho. Sharna done a great job throughout this season.

As for Derek he is a brilliant choreographer, teacher and dancer but i believe he should have sat this season out he spread himself to thin and it cost Nastia as she only started to connect when he was injured as she said herself his injury was a blessing in disguise for them
    Agreed. Derek had to pull out decent and unique choreo for Jennifer eg jive
    because her neck injury just wasn't up to it. Amber's knees were knacked and given she had a larger figure, could not do the athletic american smooth type lifts and Amy had difficulties with the waltz, plus she surprised everybody with the progress she made.

I assume you mean he has never had a complete and utter duffer from the get go.
    But that's because they give them all to Tony.
    Tony is the US equivalent of Anton bless him.
    Derek is like Pasha or Artem (in the UK Artem only ever had one mid par partner Fern and even then she was Strictly Mum Dancing as opposed to bloody hopeless).

The only thing I would say is thatit would have been nice had Derek taken Nene in the switch up and taught a relative non-hoper a ballroom or latin instead of opting for jazz.
    That would have been fantastic, to see what he could pull out of someone with no ability, like poor Tony had to week on week...because a jazz/hip hop/african number meant she didn't have to have sway or frame, she just needed attitude.

Don't think you can compare 15 seasons with 4 series? and Fern would be a duffer compared to what Derek has, he has never had anyone over 50 or near 50 other than a partner known for dirty dancing. Tony isn't the only one that get duffer look at Tristan or Keo even Mark, Val and Artem have had more no chance to win contestants than Derek.

I agree about Nene but then again Derek had little time last season either and couldn't leave LA hence why he was paired with Nene in the first place.

As for Amber so what if she couldn't do an athletic american smooth the best american smooth are based on ballroom dancing not lifts.

As for Amy after she had difficulties with the waltz she did one other ballroom dance the whole season which was the quickstep the quickest dance and suited them better than the slower ballroom would have.

Derek and his partners aren't the only one to have injuries either or had to change choreography due to them that the pros job. Each celeb comes with their own challenges some more difficult than others.
    Have not seen the finals in all their entirety but was there really no thank you to Len for the last decade, or a montage or a bunch of flowers? Yes, he can be a grumpy arse, but if it was definitively his last show ever you'd have thought they would have done something?

They should have done something but they are hoping he isn't leaving

Amy Purdy HAD NO LEGS!!!

Derek could hardly have partner Corbin and second favourite was Amber with her musicality and fan base. Derek always get one of the favourite . don't know who you though was favourite in Jennifer Grey's season? Amy was one of the favourite after Meryl and Charlie, Kellie was 2nd fav after Zendaya His worst partner was Shannon Elizabeth and that was in his 2nd season.

As for overscoring he sometimes gets overscored but he is not alone on dwts with that most couples are overscored there are only individual incidents that annoy me like the rumba last season
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kp2ni wrote: »

Derek could hardly have partner Corbin and second favourite was Amber with her musicality and fan base. Derek always get one of the favourite . don't know who you though was favourite in Jennifer Grey's season? Amy was one of the favourite after Meryl and Charlie, Kellie was 2nd fav after Zendaya His worst partner was Shannon Elizabeth and that was in his 2nd season.

As for overscoring he sometimes gets overscored but he is not alone on dwts with that most couples are overscored there are only individual incidents that annoy me like the rumba last season

The difficulty with over scoring is, if you give someone like Noah an 8, not for his dancing, but for his bravery etc, then when Nastia/Rumer/Riker come out and do a technically better dance, the judges HAVE to give them 9s and 10s even though they know they're not worth 10s, but it's better than a dance they've scored an 8!

And as for Derek's partners, ignoring the male celebs (and the all stars in which most of them were competitors) the following were all more favoured in pre season expectations...

05) Sabrina & Mel > Jennie
    06) Kristi > Shannon (at least)
    07) Kim > Brooke
    08) Shawn > Lil Kym
    09) Kelly & Mya > Joanna
    11) Audrina & Brandy > Jennifer
    13) Hope > Ricki
    14) Katherine > Maria
    16) Zendaya > Kellie
    17) Christina and (for fan base) Leah > Amber
    18) Meryl & Danika > Amy
    19) Janel > Bethany

Yeh, usually in the top 3 of 6/7, but hardly getting the ringer every year!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe Derek is more comparable with Brendan, she says, conveniently forgetting the trainwreck that was Fiona Phillips. He has never had a first week exit though, unlike poor Aliona and many think he is due a complete duffer, just to see him sulk.
    Also unless US does far more rehearsal vetting, it's not always the ones who are good on paper that do well...take Martina Hinglis, Victoria Pendleton and Lolo Jones for example.
    Pendleton was considered a contender until people actually saw her dance.

How are the pros paid, does anyone know? Separate fees+bonuses for how long they stay in? As a producer, if you have paid more for an emmy-winning, vote-popular, great choreographer then you are less likely to want him out first as it is your money, ratings and publicity down the drain, the same as Hinglis going out week one was a bad signing financially.

That said, I would love it if next season Derek had someone truly terrible.

a) to see whether his fanbase is as large as everyone says and how long he gets kept in for (in the UK the underdog/comedy duffer stays in til at least half way through for the shits and giggles but I haven't really seen a comedy contestant of the same ilk in the US, unless we count The Chong for his pimp/perp/john routines).The US needs Anton.

b) to see how he would simplify the choreo without dumbing it down. The trick is for the pro not to dance as well/as fast as they obviously can, according to Tristan anyway, and that must be damned difficult to do. The UK female pros tend to do the opposite though and dance round their pros in the hope noone will notice.

c) to see the scoring and bellyaching going with it. The US don't have a Craig who would go as low as 3 without caring. The mid duffers in the States still tend to get sixes as a minimum and sevens for their age or for trying, so I cannot imagine a DerekDuffer being any different.

d) Can anyone confirm who does the choreo in the States that the pros don't do (UK is usually only charleston/argentine but it isn't heavily advertised). Do the pros help each other or take over a sleb's choreo if they are free/voted out?
  • Options
    RavenRaven Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best season since Donny won and certainly the best finale show .

Any of the top 3 could have won it, we could make a good case for any of them and that includes the inspiring - unbelievable efforts delivered by Noah.

That said, was pleased with the result, got the family in the states to vote for us - well done Miss Willis.

No mention of it being Lens last show . . . . . . maybe he will be there for a few eps at least (cuz the moola is sweet)., :D
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Len didn't want to overshadow the finalists/winner. He did say the last 10 from Len (twice LOL).

Congrats to Rumer and Val. Good to see the traditionalists win.
  • Options
    DingDong08DingDong08 Posts: 8,600
    Forum Member
    And as for Derek's partners, ignoring the male celebs (and the all stars in which most of them were competitors) the following were all more favoured in pre season expectations...

07) Kim > Brooke

Wait... Kim Kardashian was one of the favourites going into season seven? They sure got that one wrong. :p

Very pleased with the result - Rumer (along with Nastia) was one of my favourites from the start, but pretty much every single dance they performed from the Rumba onwards was just fantastic, and unusually traditional for DWTS, too! So well done to both of them. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The difficulty with over scoring is, if you give someone like Noah an 8, not for his dancing, but for his bravery etc, then when Nastia/Rumer/Riker come out and do a technically better dance, the judges HAVE to give them 9s and 10s even though they know they're not worth 10s, but it's better than a dance they've scored an 8!

05) Sabrina & Mel > Jennie
    06) Kristi > Shannon (at least)
    07) Kim > Brooke
    08) Shawn > Lil Kym
    09) Kelly & Mya > Joanna
    11) Audrina & Brandy > Jennifer
    13) Hope > Ricki
    14) Katherine > Maria
    16) Zendaya > Kellie
    17) Christina and (for fan base) Leah > Amber
    18) Meryl & Danika > Amy
    19) Janel > Bethany

Yeh, usually in the top 3 of 6/7, but hardly getting the ringer every year!

In scoring terms I'm definitely team Craig don't always agree with his comments but at least he marks from 1 - 10.

Top 3 each season is a great record.

S5 Jennie Top 3 but no matter how good Sabrina is no disney star has won dots not Kyle, Zendaya, Chelsea, Corbin... since Sabrina's shock exit they have done better and got to the final but it unlikely a disney star will win

S6 no-one was going to win but Kristi this season

S7 Never thought Kym was favourite at all 'models' (for want of a better term to describe Kym) do not do well on dwts, Misty was good until her injury but Brooke was one of the best contender and had experience i believe

S8 Shawn was favourite but Lil Kym was next in the female lineup

S9 I thought Kelly was favourite to go out first on paper Mya was favourite Joanna was a surprise though.

S10 Nicole that's all i have to says ;-)

s11 Jennifer was favourite but picked Derek like Nicole

S13 Well Ricki asked for Derek Maks asked for Hope who was not as good as she though she was

S14 Katherine & Maria were level to me as Katherine was near enough an unknown in the states

S15 all I have to say about the allstars is poor Mark!!

S16 Kellie was most likely to win because of who votes and disney star thing though Zendaya should have

S17 Amber was second to Corbin nice girl big personality huge fan base, Christina had been out of the limelight for some time before DWTS and as for Leah pairing her with Tony tells you what her chances were as Tony has only won once with Melissa who was a last minute replacement

S18 good year for female contestant with Meryl, Danika & Amy always going to be close

S19 Bethany was still in the top 2/3 of females
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe Derek is more comparable with Brendan, she says, conveniently forgetting the trainwreck that was Fiona Phillips. He has never had a first week exit though, unlike poor Aliona and many think he is due a complete duffer, just to see him sulk.
    Also unless US does far more rehearsal vetting, it's not always the ones who are good on paper that do well...take Martina Hinglis, Victoria Pendleton and Lolo Jones for example.
    Pendleton was considered a contender until people actually saw her dance.

How are the pros paid, does anyone know? Separate fees+bonuses for how long they stay in? As a producer, if you have paid more for an emmy-winning, vote-popular, great choreographer then you are less likely to want him out first as it is your money, ratings and publicity down the drain, the same as Hinglis going out week one was a bad signing financially.

That said, I would love it if next season Derek had someone truly terrible.

a) to see whether his fanbase is as large as everyone says and how long he gets kept in for (in the UK the underdog/comedy duffer stays in til at least half way through for the shits and giggles but I haven't really seen a comedy contestant of the same ilk in the US, unless we count The Chong for his pimp/perp/john routines).The US needs Anton.

b) to see how he would simplify the choreo without dumbing it down. The trick is for the pro not to dance as well/as fast as they obviously can, according to Tristan anyway, and that must be damned difficult to do. The UK female pros tend to do the opposite though and dance round their pros in the hope noone will notice.

c) to see the scoring and bellyaching going with it. The US don't have a Craig who would go as low as 3 without caring. The mid duffers in the States still tend to get sixes as a minimum and sevens for their age or for trying, so I cannot imagine a DerekDuffer being any different.

d) Can anyone confirm who does the choreo in the States that the pros don't do (UK is usually only charleston/argentine but it isn't heavily advertised). Do the pros help each other or take over a sleb's choreo if they are free/voted out?

Brendan also had Sarah Manners who didn't want to be there, Victoria Pendleton and Lulu!

I have heard of some people having auditions for DWTS/SCD but not sure what happens at them but the thing you have to remember is that the producers know more than the public and they pick the pairings that why on scd there is the group dance on the launch show so they have a chance to see if how the celebs and pro interact.

No idea about pay other than reports that strictly changed how they pay celebs after Martina Hingis got pay her full fee after staying one week.

Fanbase in DWTS can be fickle but more with the women pros than the male pros for some reason :confused: -look at Emma finally got a partner who could have been good and went week 1 compared to her other less able partner though Redfoo's 'cha cha' was a joke, Derek's fanbase hasn't been tested

i would like to see what Derek can really do with a less able contestant.

As for the choreography Louis Van Amstel says not all the dancers choreograph their own routines even the standard dances.

The US needs a Craig to fix the scoring and only some UK female pro dances around their celebs with Ola and Kristina being the worst offenders others like Natalie ,Iveta, and Aliona try to make their celeb dance even Karen made Dave move and none of the UK pro dance around their partners like Edyta did even when she had good partners.

I know Sharna get help from her boyfriend/ 'her muse'. Some pros and troupe members especially Sasha and Henry have been shown helping out in rehearsal rooms, Derek helped Julianne before and last season Mark helped Alison. When the charleston was introduced they shows Derek looking up youtube to learn it and the same happened with Mark and african jazz (i think), Val is fantastic at Argentine tango and think i remember seeing somewhere that he took lessons before he became a pro. Tony talked about knowing about contemporary before his and Leah awful roar contemporary but nothing was said about if he got help.

There were rumours about Cheryl in her first few season needed a lot of help as she was a dancer not a choreographer but she learnt and by the end you knew she choreographed the routines herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that info kp2ni

I love both shows, I really do.
    I know on Strictly they all dance a bit first so the producers must have some idea but genuinely think Pendleton was falsely deemed a ringah: Brendan was ecstatic to get her as he thought her work ethic would pay dividends. Lulu had done well on the Dance for comic relief, not got through but had shown she could move and memorize a routine. She wanted Pasha, hated the height difference and it was doomed from the start.

Redfoo looked arrogant dancing to his own record, that must have affected the vote surely? Poor Emma. I can only assume Allison got Ryker as he had had training already so she didn't have to teach him the basics.

They don't seem to do the 'You won this year's so you get the outsider next year' in DWTS though or 'You did good with the mid par so you get the ringah having learnt your stripes'. Or I am missing the pattern.

Would love Artemis paired up with someone brilliant.
    Would love Mark to get the 70 year old.
    Would love Sasha to get someone (poor Henry).
    Would love Derek to get complete beginner.
    Keo is due a ringer. Val is due a duffer.

Pasha is due a duffer. As is Kevin. Tristan should get the riskiest ringer from Ringsville.
    Joanne deserves a ringer. As does Natalie. Please not Peter Andre.
    Motsi Mabuse's sister will probably be made to earn her stripes first.
  • Options
    Monsieur23Monsieur23 Posts: 6,916
    Forum Member
    I was a huge Rumer/Willow fanatic throughout the season, and was a bit cold towards Riker, but after rewatching his Contemporary... I could've probably lived with a Rallison win after all; that, Rumer's Fusion and Showdance, and Willow's Contemporary and Jazz are the only dances I'm still watching (with Robert's Waltz popping up occasionally).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Derek, Julianne & Tessandra were nominated together for a Emmy for elastic heart and Witney was nominated for 3 dances with Alonso. congratulations to all but thought Mark or Sharna should have been nominated, I personally thought that some of Mark's routines with Sadie and Willow were some of the most creative pieces I seen on DWTS in ages whereas I find Witney's choreography repetitive.
  • Options
    fridgesoupfridgesoup Posts: 17,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kp2ni wrote: »
    Derek, Julianne & Tessandra were nominated together for a Emmy for elastic heart and Witney was nominated for 3 dances with Alonso.

Well done to them, but I really hated that Elastic Heart routine! :blush: agree about Witney's choreo - it's never stood out to me :confused:

Congrats also to Rumer for landing a role in Chicago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3164309/Rumer-Willis-cast-Roxie-Hart-makes-Broadway-debut-Chicago-eight-week-run.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fridgesoup wrote: »
    Well done to them, but I really hated that Elastic Heart routine! :blush: agree about Witney's choreo - it's never stood out to me :confused:

Congrats also to Rumer for landing a role in Chicago.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3164309/Rumer-Willis-cast-Roxie-Hart-makes-Broadway-debut-Chicago-eight-week-run.html

congrats to Rumer although I think she is better suited to the Velma character than Roxie.

Thought Derek did better routines than the elastic heart routine which i thought was ok but not wow.
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    yeah the right couple won and as it turned out it wasn't Len's last series I bet the producers knew when it was the final that he'd do spring series only hence no fuss or anything made