Options

BBC secrets.

RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Apparently, the BBC have an archive of documents pertaining to artists and programmes that is based in Cavendish, i'd never heard of this until now.

BBC: The secret files shows Penelope Keith delving into secrets of the past:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06455ch

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, the BBC have an archive of documents pertaining to artists and programmes that is based in Cavendish, i'd never heard of this until now.

BBC: The secret files shows Penelope Keith delving into secrets of the past:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06455ch

I think you might mean Caversham. Do they mention the ghost that stalks the corridors of the old part of Broadcasting House ?
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .... And that BBC has to keep an archive as stated in the Agreement..

Fir details of wac http://www.bbc.co.uk/historyofthebbc/research/wac
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,014
    Forum Member
    Someone at the BBC didn't like Enid Blyton or her books. :)

I wonder if they have my exchange of letters with a controller of one or two of the BBC radio channels and music then referred to as being 'left' or 'right'.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "So no change there then," eh?
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,630
    Forum Member
    The Kenny Everett warning letters throw an interesting light on the Jeremy Clarkson case. More plain speaking and less waltzing round the elephant in the room obviously needed.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While obviously not delving too deep the programme was an intriguing glimpse into the attitudes or bias of the kind of people you needed to keep onside as an artist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    While obviously not delving too deep the programme was an intriguing glimpse into the attitudes or bias of the kind of people you needed to keep onside as an artist.

I think they could do a series based on the development of broadcasting and the internal responses, political interference, programme productions, religion, sport.

I'd like to see details of contracts from the 60's - 80's compared to media reported fees paid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The BBC could have turned the 'Talent Audition Panel' into a hit show, instead of marking acts A, B, C the panel would have buzzers which they would TAP, 3 taps and you are through to the next stage. And hold the auditions with the public present, the sort of show ITV would not make. :D
  • Options
    G926G926 Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Do they mention the ghost that stalks the corridors of the old part of Broadcasting House ?

Jangling his chains and shouting "Now Then, Now Then" :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    I think they could do a series based on the development of broadcasting and the internal responses, political interference, programme productions, religion, sport.

I'd like to see details of contracts from the 60's - 80's compared to media reported fees paid.

The recent Jonathan Dimbleby series was all about the development of the BBC during the war, political pressures etc.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many of the adverse comments on future big stars have been published before, it is easy to laugh at the people who wrote the comments but perhaps should be remembered that they must have auditioned many other people as well with the majority disappearing into obscurity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Many of the adverse comments on future big stars have been published before, it is easy to laugh at the people who wrote the comments but perhaps should be remembered that they must have auditioned many other people as well with the majority disappearing into obscurity.

The programme showed there could be diverse opinions within the BBC about the same 'star'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I checked BBC Genome and Enid Blyton children stories were being read on 2LO in 1925 but from 1927 till the 1950's nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The programme showed there could be diverse opinions within the BBC about the same 'star'.

There are certainly diverse opinions about them on DS ! Did they repeat the joke Max Miller was banned from the BBC for telling live ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There are certainly diverse opinions about them on DS ! Did they repeat the joke Max Miller was banned from the BBC for telling live ?

No....

The programme did feature the sacking of Kenny Everett over remarks about the Transport Minister's wife bribing the examiner to pass her driving test.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    "Third rate music hall act, not for us"
    Bruce Forsyth
  • Options
    tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you might mean Caversham. Do they mention the ghost that stalks the corridors of the old part of Broadcasting House ?

Did they mention the Christmas trees?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Third rate music hall act, not for us"
    Bruce Forsyth

Sadly, after a long career entertaining millions of people for decades, that's what he became.
    Some just don't know when to quit.

What it was forbidden for comedians to say was set out in the BBC's "Green Book."

They showed a documentary about that some time ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sadly, after a long career entertaining millions of people for decades, that's what he became.
    Some just don't know when to quit.

What it was forbidden for comedians to say was set out in the BBC's "Green Book."

They showed a documentary about that some time ago.

Blimey, lighten up....go on give us smile. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, lighten up....go on give us smile. :D

What's your problem?

Were you a fan of his?

Ahh!
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone at the BBC didn't like Enid Blyton or her books. :)

I wonder if they have my exchange of letters with a controller of one or two of the BBC radio channels and music then referred to as being 'left' or 'right'.

Odd that Donald Baverstock controller of BBC1 and 2 in the sixties.married Enid Blytons daughter in 1957,just seems curious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    northlad wrote: »
    Odd that Donald Baverstock controller of BBC1 and 2 in the sixties.married Enid Blytons daughter in 1957,just seems curious.

The world is full of coincidences, I wonder what Enid Blyton thought of the marriage.

Donald Baverstock's file could make interesting reading.
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The world is full of coincidences, I wonder what Enid Blyton thought of the marriage.

Donald Baverstock's file could make interesting reading.

From what I have heard about him in more ways than one.He seems to have been brilliant
    in his early broadcasting career(Dr Who,Nationwide,TWTWTW etc),and setting up Yorkshire Television,then just disappearing after 6 years there.Very underated and forgotten about it seems.No autobiography or biography ever written.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the subscribers to this thread might be interested to know that a follow up to this programme- BBC: The Secret Files 2 can be seen on BBC4 tomorrow (Thursday) on BBC4.

A repeat will be shown the following morning at 3am.