V+ Box Very Fast?

davetechdavetech Posts: 286
Forum Member
Dear all,

Now I am one of those that has seen this time and time again the sluggish speed of the SA HD V+ box,

But an odd thing happened last night It was around 2 Am I had just finished watching a programme and was going to have a flick through and was so shocked to notice the speed of the box,

I was flicking though the EPG with no slow down - Channel switching was fast and BBC news 24 Red button was near instant,

I notice now that the box is much slower now,

I'm Just considering the fact that it may not be the box that is slow, but just capacity of the system at busy times,

Just wondered if any of you out there had noticed a very fast box in the early hours?

I;m in the Wolverhampton area

Comments

• Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might be partially right but the Samsung is much speedier at all times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    as well as a poorer SD picture.
  • timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WellyTest wrote: »

Really? well i have the SA box and my pq on sd is really good, and HD is excellent, not heard many ppl say that the sd pq is better..
  • davetechdavetech Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    Just wondered with virgin media pushing for faster and faster internet speeds, will this mean that the tv side will suffer with speed no matter which box people have?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I disagree, I have one of each. The Samsung is the superior box in my opinion.
  • boyzieboyzie Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely agree,I was offered the choice of the SA or new Samsung stb when my old SA gave up the ghost and picked the Samsung,I'd swap the Samsungs speed for the SA better pq anytime.More vibrant and sharper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree, I have one of each. The Samsung is the superior box in my opinion.

I agree. I have both boxes and the Samsung is the superior of the two.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cbcdesign wrote: »
    I agree. I have both boxes and the Samsung is the superior of the two.

Not for pq.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,389
    Forum Member
    boyzie wrote: »
    Not for pq.

I see no difference, it's the same feed.

What can the SA box magically do to make compressed MPEG2 via cable look better?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt-08 wrote: »
    I see no difference, it's the same feed.

What can the SA box magically do to make compressed MPEG2 via cable look better?

Different sources ie dvd recorders stb's etc all upscale differently.You can pay £2000 and more for a good upscaler.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boyzie wrote: »
    Not for pq.

I disagree. The Samsung PQ is far better. I had an SA swapped out for the Samsung and the it beats the SA at everything. I still have another SA that's works fine but the picture isn't as good as that of the new stbs.

PQ from my 4 boxes are:

Samsung> Cisco VHD> SA > Pace Vbox
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Sorry to enter this one so late but just had an Engineer over to install a V HD box upstairs - very nice quick box - By the time I'd headed back down to say goodbye he had removed my SA box from the living room and was busy setting up a Samsung box for me (I'd moaned when he arrived how slow my SA box was). Well firstly what amazing service - in my opinion a very nice looking box and its certainly very quick (no delay in scrolling up and down the EPG) in comparison to the old box - I am one very happy boy! Off topic I've also got 50 Mb broadband now - I am a very happy Virgin customer :)
  • timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Samsung PQ is far better

Is it? i've got the SA box connected to my 46" panny plasma and the pq is outstanding, on both HD and SD, ok i dont have both to see which looks better, but i doubt that the Samsung is far better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timpo wrote: »
    Is it? i've got the SA box connected to my 46" panny plasma and the pq is outstanding, on both HD and SD, ok i dont have both to see which looks better, but i doubt that the Samsung is far better.

Certainly a very noticeable improvement!
  • TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have both as well

here are my vs

SA Box, bright light on stand by
    SAMMY - does not only when on

SA Box Slower
    SAMMY - Much Faster

SA BOX - Menu fuzzy set on 1080i
    SAMMY - not a issue

SA NOISE - Great
    SAMMY - no you can hear the fan that is located at the back

SA - Design ok - does not attract dust
    SAMMY - Great and smaller but loves dust more!

SA - Has more connections ie component, HDMI Scart, optical, phono

SAMMY - HDMI, Optical, Scart, no component

overall i like both, no major faults i love them both i wouldnt be without them:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timpo wrote: »

It may all be down to our tv's,but the SA pq on my panny 42" is sharper and more vibrant ( brighter etc) than the Samsung.My Samsung has started playing up after a couple of weeks and I've reqested a SA stb which should be coming tomorrow.I'l let you know if my eyes were playing tricks on me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    anyone with any nouse would say the sd quality on the SA V+ is far better and like i said look at the major problems the samsung V+ boxes are having now.and the sa box has better sd pq even than the V HD boxes.:D