Options

Soap wormholes

124»

Comments

• Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the latest edition of Coronation Street, Jason, I think, mentioned Big Brother. It would've confused the residents if they'd switched on to the recent Celebrity series and spotted someone who looked remarkably like Bet Lynch talking about her time in...Coronation Street. The world explodes!
  • Options
    KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    In the latest edition of Coronation Street, Jason, I think, mentioned Big Brother. It would've confused the residents if they'd switched on to the recent Celebrity series and spotted someone who looked remarkably like Bet Lynch talking about her time in...Coronation Street. The world explodes!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the biggest wormholes YET! :eek:

*grabs some tins of corned beef and runs for cover*
  • Options
    jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SandyG4u wrote: »
    Best thread ever.

Makes a welcome change from all the sniping and moaning.

I wish I could think of some. I remember the phonecall to HA asking about Neighbours

Non-soap Supernatural had a fantastic episode where their lives turned out to be a TV show and all the cast called them by their real names. It was very funny and very clever.

I loved when the bloke was writing their story, so it looked like they were following a script but unaware! Also loved how they were looking at the fanfic and doing the 'they do know we're brothers right?' thing!!!
    SuperAPJ wrote: »

It could actually be a double catastrophe if at the same time, someone from EE was watching and saw Heather, who they thought was dead, was alive and kicking in the house. That's like a doube wormhole, there's no return from that.:eek::p
  • Options
    tfox6tfox6 Posts: 2,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    felixrex wrote: »
    I've just been reading about Kylie Minogue being mentioned in Neighbours (in which she used to appear, of course), which got me thinking of other instances in soap where they have sort of opened a 'wormhole' between the real world and their soap-world, which could lead to a character discovering their own existence as a character in a soap opera, such as an allusion to popular-culture which may bring a character back to discovering their own life is a 'soap', if you catch my drift. If Kylie Minogue exists in Neighbours-world, for instance, wouldn't the residents of the show be aware of her beginnings as a soap actress, on a soap which runs in an uncanny parallel to their own lives?

Some instances I can recall off the top of my head:

During Southend week last year, several references were made to Spandau Ballet by Heather, with Fatboy and Whitney questioning who Spandau Ballet were. If Spandau Ballet exist in Walford-World, wouldn't people have recognised the remarkable resemblance between Steve Owen and the band's bass player, Martin Kemp? What if Whitney and Fatboy had googled Spandau Ballet and decided to check up on the members later exploits? Wouldn't they have been quite shocked to discover his work in a soap opera called 'Eastenders', which bared an uncanny resemblance to their own lives? :eek:

I saw an episode of Coronation Street a while back when Tracy Barlow had just got out of prison. She described prison as 'nothing like Bad Girls', or something along those lines. If Tracy Barlow and other Coronation Street residents had watched Bad Girls back in the day, wouldn't they have recognised Frankie Baldwin, Cilla Battersby-Brown and Frank Foster as characters from the show?!

There is also the obvious reference Dot made in Eastenders about Coronation Street's anniversary, and the two shows have shared several actors and actresses over the years. Surely Dot has noticed the uncanny resemblance between Stella and Walford's very own Cindy Beale?

Can anybody think of any other instances of this that have taken place?

I can think of two. In Neighbours Ringo Brown sang Donna a song on his wedding day, which Paul said his brother Scott (Jason Donovan) had played at his wedding 20 something years before.But Scott didn't play the music himself - it was the background music on that day !

The other is in Home & Away. Shannon called England and said that all the person on the line wanted was to know what was happening in Neighbours.