Radio trent 301

papadontpreachpapadontpreach Posts: 303
Forum Member
I thought i would start a thread on the Radio station resposible for me getting into the business, for anyone in a 30 mile radious of Nottingham in the Mid 70's will remember this great station, Slick and Professionally run it was the bees knees, so what are your memories and thoughts, it would be great if any staff would share there memories here.

On the station John Peters, Dale Winton, Peter Tait, Steve Mericke, David Lloyd, Colin Bower, Kenny Haige, Lee peck,
Len Groat, Kid Jenson, All based just off Slab Square at Castle Gate.

It was a life time dream for me to work at the station and after a couple of Interviews I got a letter asking me to contact them, Sadly a station in Devon pipped them to the post, and that was that, but for me it will remain the greatest station of its time, most of the crew including the loveable Ron Coles now reside close by at Saga, and any one that remembers the 301 days can still hear the musical influence of those days in Saga's music now.

Sadly Peter Tait passed away a few years ago, he was a real original personality especially off air, and a really nice Guy.

Dale Winton was doing 9-12 and was a massive personality
and had a lot of time for his listeners, I worked with him on the club circuit once and 6 months later he drove passed me
pipped and said hello, I thought how on earth did he remember me, I felt brilliant, he deserves his current fame.

I regret never being part of this station, but it has set me up for life in the Radio industry, so I have to salute the people on and off air from 1975 to 1994 just before GWR got it.

This is not a criticism of the people there after this time and today, I still believe the station is great, but lets not forget the great original sounds like you wanna hear jingle package, the Midnight Line, Chalky White, Guy Morris, Dave Maurice, Franklin Hughes, Tony Lynam........

well over to you what have i missed what can you share?.

Comments

• snossissnossis Posts: 1,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pestering Rob Wagstaff at Trent was what really got me seriously into radio - what a top bloke he was to put up with a group of anorakky 13 year olds coming in to watch him work!

Still got my 'I'm in Rob's Nightlife Gang' badge somewhere!
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Used to listen to Trent on 301m in Birmingham, not a strong signal but always worth the listen. For me Trent and Beacon were excellent. Never forget the first time I came across this weakish signal on Med wave and thought it was a sproggy of Radio 1 because the '301' jingle sounded similar.

Wasn't there also ....'The Sun Shines Brighter on Radio Trent'

Now wheres that blue Trent T-shirt of mine with the music notes on it....might be a bad fit these days.
  • SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up in Leicester and listened to Radio trent on 301 from the start, didn't listen on VHF as it was known then until later cos I didn't have a radio with FM on it !

It was great, and some of that transferred onto Leicester Sound when it started after the collapse of Centre Radio.

Steve Merrike, Guy Morris, David Lloyd, Andy marriott, tony Lynam, Dale Winton, yes, I remember them all and others.
    As i said on other threads, all from the days' when local radio had personality, and presenters' sounded individual and different, and yes great Jingles too! :rolleyes:
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trent was the station I wanted to listed to when I was a kid growing up in North Nottinghamshire :) It got a little hilly between our village and Nottingham, so the signal used to suffer badly from Hallam's Rotherham relay on 96.1 (since taken off air), so I got my dad to put up an aerial so we could listen better at home :D Trent in perfect stereo!

Great sound, great presenters, great music... I'll never forget the day things changed forever in the spring of 1994 :mad:
  • papadontpreachpapadontpreach Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    How could i forget Rob Wagstaff... always thought he sounded different to the usual Trent family on air, I am trying to remember the name of the guy who did a few weekend shifts , He was heavily involved with the Hospital Radio Scene, and he may have been on of their Broadcast engineers. but my minds gone blank.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The line up I remember would include Rob Wagstaff, Tim Disney, Jenny Costello and Craig Strong :) All early 90s
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Peters doing the breakfast show; Music Jam (similar to Gem Am's Goldmine - an hour of non-stop music with no DJ talking inbetween); David Llloyd (took over from Mr Winton); Gary Burton in the afternoons etc... This was when the station graducated to playing nothing but Stock Aitken and Waterman hits.

Does anyone remember Andy Miller and then Rob Wagstaff doing the Nightlife programme "The Penthouse Suite" springs to mind. (7.00 pm to 9.00 pm) circa 1986-1988, and then Talkback with presenters like John "Saga" Shaw, Anne-Marie "Classic FM" Minhall, Steve Merrike and others.

I have got one side of a TDK C90 tape that had the 11.00 pm Talkback hour (well 45 minutes actually), but it was recorded just before Christmas 1987 (nearly 19 years ago) that had a Christmas short story on it (read by Des Caffrey), some interesting local ads including ones for a local car company sung by children to the tune of Robin Hood, Maxwell House, P&O Ferries etc, the extended music that was used to play the short stories in full; John Shaw doing the phone-in part of the programme as well.

I used to think back then that Trent was the 1980s answer to what we would call now as a "chav" radio station but in hindsight my memories of it have mellowed a lot. Miller is now at Ram FM, isn't he?

Around the same time we had David "Kid" Jensen doing the Network Chart sponsored by Nescafe (you may remember that Jensen was Britain's most famous Nescafe drinker in 1986 in those ads back then). Ironically Jensen originally had an afternoon show there when Trent launched back in 1975 - they poached him from Radio Luxembourg. However BBC Radio 1 poached him from Trent instead.

Jeremy Beadle had his Brainbusters show on Sunday nights around the same time. Various radio stations also relayed the show, but some only took one or two hours of the show. Cue Beadle saying at the end of the first hour "Radio Broadland will leave us at the end of this hour". Luckily we got the full three hours just like LBC.

The ads back then were always for either window companies or brands of coffee. I remember the Heatseal windows one sung to the tune of "I Hear Thunder".

If you tuned into Saga 106.6 FM you will get a good majority of 1970s and 1980s Trent presenters there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "We've got the sounds
    The sounds of this town
    Spreading around sweet music
    Trent is the place
    301 is the space
    Sounds like you want to hear
    Sounds like you want to hear
    Sounds like you want to hear (or was it just twice?)
    3 Oh 1"

No - I dont remember it at all!!
  • krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...listen I'm gonna tell you a secret, the magic of Radio Trent....

First station listened to in Derby in 1985 on 96.2 from Nottingham - we didn't get our own Trent until 1987. A fine station it was too - from the East Midlands 24 hours a day so could react to local events. Networking from Nottingham was much more acceptable than the situation today.
    Does anyone else remember interesting shows like the Television show with Andy Marriott on Sundays after the local Top 30 and before the Network Chart. Then there was also Richard Murdoch's Kick up the 80s on a Sunday night which was an essential listen in the early 90s. The sultry tones of Jenny Costello on Weekend brekkie. Happy Days eh!!

Sad it all went BADLY wrong when RAM came on in 94.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMH wrote:
    John Peters doing the breakfast show; Music Jam (similar to Gem Am's Goldmine - an hour of non-stop music with no DJ talking inbetween); David Llloyd (took over from Mr Winton); Gary Burton in the afternoons etc... This was when the station graducated to playing nothing but Stock Aitken and Waterman hits.

Does anyone remember Andy Miller and then Rob Wagstaff doing the Nightlife programme "The Penthouse Suite" springs to mind. (7.00 pm to 9.00 pm) circa 1986-1988, and then Talkback with presenters like John "Saga" Shaw, Anne-Marie "Classic FM" Minhall, Steve Merrike and others.

I have got one side of a TDK C90 tape that had the 11.00 pm Talkback hour (well 45 minutes actually), but it was recorded just before Christmas 1987 (nearly 19 years ago) that had a Christmas short story on it (read by Des Caffrey), some interesting local ads including ones for a local car company sung by children to the tune of Robin Hood, Maxwell House, P&O Ferries etc, the extended music that was used to play the short stories in full; John Shaw doing the phone-in part of the programme as well.

I used to think back then that Trent was the 1980s answer to what we would call now as a "chav" radio station but in hindsight my memories of it have mellowed a lot. Miller is now at Ram FM, isn't he?

Around the same time we had David "Kid" Jensen doing the Network Chart sponsored by Nescafe (you may remember that Jensen was Britain's most famous Nescafe drinker in 1986 in those ads back then). Ironically Jensen originally had an afternoon show there when Trent launched back in 1975 - they poached him from Radio Luxembourg. However BBC Radio 1 poached him from Trent instead.

Jeremy Beadle had his Brainbusters show on Sunday nights around the same time. Various radio stations also relayed the show, but some only took one or two hours of the show. Cue Beadle saying at the end of the first hour "Radio Broadland will leave us at the end of this hour". Luckily we got the full three hours just like LBC.

The ads back then were always for either window companies or brands of coffee. I remember the Heatseal windows one sung to the tune of "I Hear Thunder".

If you tuned into Saga 106.6 FM you will get a good majority of 1970s and 1980s Trent presenters there.

I remember Viking taking Brainbusters but-from memory-it didnt last long
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Trent and the others in the Trent Group probably kept Alfasound in business in the 1980's with the amount of jingle packs they had.

I thought Andy Miller on 96.2 was excellent, also the American guy later on IIRC Franklyn Hughes (sp?). The 1980's was the era that I started listening to Radio Trent. Also the excellent GEM AM from 1988, by then on 945khz and that signal gets out over much of the East Midlands and into the north during daylight. Currenlty on number 5 on my car radio AM presets, well Classic Gold GEM is.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't let the name SAGA put you off. If you haven't listened give it a try. I'm well under 50 but love it.
    It takes me back to the early days of Radio Trent and its great to hear all those presenters again.
    On Sunday mornings it is great to hear Steve Mericke on the Breakfast Show followed by David Lloyd. Also Jon Peters and Tony Lynham during the week, John Shaw late night at weekends. Even Andy Marriott and Len Groat have been know to turn up on occasions.
    Ron Coles certainly knew what he was doing in Nottingham when SAGA was set up with all those ex Radio Trent presenters. Those of us who grew up with them can now enjoy them in our middle age.

I did read in the Sunday Times that SAGA were thinking of selling their radio stations. That could be a good thing if they continue the good work but ditch the SAGA name. I think its the name SAGA that puts lots of younger people off listening.
  • krob2krob2 Posts: 1,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cookie wrote:
    I did read in the Sunday Times that SAGA were thinking of selling their radio stations. That could be a good thing if they continue the good work but ditch the SAGA name. I think its the name SAGA that puts lots of younger people off listening.

I think you're right Cookie - the Saga format is sufficiently loose for a new owner to rename the station and tweek the output so that it appeals more to the 30 plus set ie make it distinctive from the Heart and GCAP clone relays. The format says 2/3 of the music must be 20 years old or more which would mean the music from when Trent was great!!!

Having the old Trent lot on there certainly helps as they really know the area.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Another name not mentioned from Trent's glorious past is Danny Cox. A great presenter who communicated wonderfully with his audience... and was as slick as you like on the old chart countdown.

Never heard Danny myself when he was on Trent. Our paths crossed when he moved to head up SGR Colchester. As fate would have it, I was later to leave SGR and move to Trent myself. Danny's enduring passion and enthusiasm for Trent lives with me to this day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krob2 wrote:
    ...listen I'm gonna tell you a secret, the magic of Radio Trent....

First station listened to in Derby in 1985 on 96.2 from Nottingham - we didn't get our own Trent until 1987. A fine station it was too - from the East Midlands 24 hours a day so could react to local events. Networking from Nottingham was much more acceptable than the situation today.
    Does anyone else remember interesting shows like the Television show with Andy Marriott on Sundays after the local Top 30 and before the Network Chart. Then there was also Richard Murdoch's Kick up the 80s on a Sunday night which was an essential listen in the early 90s. The sultry tones of Jenny Costello on Weekend brekkie. Happy Days eh!!

Sad it all went BADLY wrong when RAM came on in 94.

Yes. Andy Marriott continued to be on Gem-Am doing programmes like Timewarp on Saturday nights in Autumn 1994 where he played various hits from a certain year in the 1960s and 1970s along with television themes and even ads, left over from his Television [sic] Show. Got three tapes of those - six different years. He also did Mellow Marrow (Marrow was his nickname of course). And he did Pure Nostalgia that was also done on BBC Radio Nottingham, music from the 1940s and 1950s, until Amanda Bowman took it over. I have to say that Marriott stood out from the other presenters like Lyman, Peters and Merrike who just played the music and talked inbetween tracks.

Marriott continued to do his Television Show on what used to be Century 106 on Sunday nights between 7.00 pm and 10.00 pm in early to mid 1999. Now I am not sure whether he still does, but he did the same programmes for Saga 106.6 on Bank Holiday Moindays until recently.

He used to have a website that had ads with his voiceover on, usually East Midlands based ads, as well as him reading out that lovely Clement Clarke Moore Christmas poem, "Twas the Night Before Christmas..." that Gem-Am usually put on air at 11.55 pm on Christmas Eve in the 1990s.

Following on from Hullboy's comment, I seem to remember that Jeremy Beadle did his Brainbusters in about 1987 and then for some reason he was sacked and some unknown called Dave West was on instead of him. It wasn't long before local programming on each radio station returned by 1988. As Beadle doesn't do much these days (he's not About as he was in the 1980s and 1990s) he would have made great radio if he came back to do that slot now. I know that he did the same slot for Talk Radio UK when it opened in 1995. His radio show always reminds me of that 1980s Sunday evening, watching Spitting Image, That's Life or Hale and Pace end, switching off the television and turning on the radio, almost forgetting that I had school the following day! We never had it so good in the 1980s!
    Jim Nasium wrote:
    Another name not mentioned from Trent's glorious past is Danny Cox. A great presenter who communicated wonderfully with his audience... and was as slick as you like on the old chart countdown.

Never heard Danny myself when he was on Trent. Our paths crossed when he moved to head up SGR Colchester. As fate would have it, I was later to leave SGR and move to Trent myself. Danny's enduring passion and enthusiasm for Trent lives with me to this day.

Danny Cox is now at BBC Radio Oxford.
  • SimonjharrissonSimonjharrisson Posts: 1,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with what you say about Andy Marriott. He was very funny at times, one of his favourite ways of slating a record he didn't like was to call it "a load of old tripe!"

I remember him getting his teeth into Diana Ross once,in her song "Chain Reaction" there is a line that says "you made me tremble when your hands moved lower", and Andy played this few seconds repeatedly once saying it sounds like "you made me tremble when you had a motor mower" I thought this was hilarious at the time.... :D

Where is he now??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    I am trying to remember the name of the guy who did a few weekend shifts , He was heavily involved with the Hospital Radio Scene, and he may have been on of their Broadcast engineers. but my minds gone blank.

Maybe Dave West?

Also worked at Capital in Euston tower.

Steve
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    Can anyone remember the butlins ad around 93-94, it was a re-sing from jam's too-cool package.

It went something like: "it's fun fun fun at butlins and you get a discount with Trent FM".

Great station up until GWR murdered it, just like Beacon.

Steve
  • JG1970JG1970 Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When i lived in Stafford and had a 6 element fm aerial on a rotator and i used to listened to Trent 102.8 (Derby) and i could even pick up Trent 96.2 Nottingham.
    I listened to Andy Miller, The Music Jam, Colin Woolley, Danny Cox and Gary Terrza (he's a continuity announcer on Channel 4 now)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Grew up in Long Eaton listening to it circa 75-77.

Bob Snyder? What a chap! The PC, IIRC, and did the odd swing shift.

I mailed Chris Baird recently to say thanks for his excellent work 30 years ago!

Geoff Cooper. Jon Peters (who still sounds the same!), Graham Knight. I thought Dale Winton sounded Australian! he was only three years older than me!

r
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.radiotrent.co.uk/

Jeff Cooper's tribute site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with what you say about Andy Marriott. He was very funny at times, one of his favourite ways of slating a record he didn't like was to call it "a load of old tripe!"

I remember him getting his teeth into Diana Ross once,in her song "Chain Reaction" there is a line that says "you made me tremble when your hands moved lower", and Andy played this few seconds repeatedly once saying it sounds like "you made me tremble when you had a motor mower" I thought this was hilarious at the time.... :D

Where is he now??

He's still at Saga 106.6 in the East Midlands, I think, along with Jeff Cooper, one of the original Trent presenters.

Dave West, as I have said above, took over the Jeremy Beadle slot on Sunday evenings, I think.
  • R300R300 Posts: 2,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well this thread certainly says it all, over 20 replies so far and not a single one is saying anything negative about Radio Trent.

Jusy goes to show the respect people have for the station. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And were the studios really haunted..?
    I've heard from a friend of broadcasting friend stories that they were, as the HQ was built on the former Nottingham Childrens Hospital.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Spoke to Craig Strong a couple of weeks ago. He is currently working at the Nottingham Ice Arena.

Andy Jackson
    Boundary Sound