Ad Break During This Morning Yesterday

2»

Comments

• Options
    Randomguy83Randomguy83 Posts: 16,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrbouffant wrote: »
    Does anyone teach their kids about the need to "mirror-signal-manoeuvre" 5 or 6 years before they learn to drive?

I would have thought teaching kids about Sex Ed 5 or 6 years before they hit puberty is a bit daft. At least wait a while until nearer the time they need this information. What's the rush?

Where did you work out 5 or 6 years from? Children can start puberty from 8 years old. How near should you wait precisely? What's the rush you say, when 12 and 13 year olds are not only having sex but are having children, parents cannot afford to wait and bury their heads in the sand.
  • Options
    Lamb ChopsLamb Chops Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »

Loose Women, which follows, could also be described as being quite explicit in its conversation at times!!

I think Loose Women goes too far though, because their talk is just mindless smut. This Morning I wil defend as the way they tackle sexual and body issues will help people, but the way they speak on Loose Women is absolutely vulgar and they only get away with it pre-watershed because usually no kids are around to be watching.
  • Options
    hardylanehardylane Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's up to the parent whether or not to educate them . This advert should not have been on at half term at that time. I feel sorry for the OP with you lot. As far as that goes, the pregnancy rate for schoolgirls does seem to have gone up coincidentally with the rise in sex education in schools.

What drivel.

The pregnancy rate has risen because the level of teenage common sense has dropped.

WITHOUT sex education , the rate would be FAR, FAR higher...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone teach their kids about the need to "mirror-signal-manoeuvre" 5 or 6 years before they learn to drive?

I would have thought teaching kids about Sex Ed 5 or 6 years before they hit puberty is a bit daft. At least wait a while until nearer the time they need this information. What's the rush?

Did you see the reports about the 12-year-old father??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    micksea241 wrote: »
    I was watching This Morning yesterday and a NHS advert for the Chlamydia Diease free pack appeared. My two sons as it is half term where I live was watching TV at the time, saw the advert and started asking the awkard questions about what the man and girl were during and how they got the diease.

Surely this shouldn't have been shown at 12 noon especially as the kids are off school. I have put a complain to the ASA and see what happens. I shouldn't have been explaining this to a six year old and an eight year old.

Mmm... nice paranoid, Conservative, Daily Mail post.

The "kids" off school go up to 16.

Your 6 and 8 year olds shouldn't be watching This Morning. Your responsibility.
  • Options
    mrbouffantmrbouffant Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    hardylane wrote: »
    Did you see the reports about the 12-year-old father??

Err yes. If he is the father then, ergo, he has reached puberty. If you read my original message properly you will see that I would be advocating sex ed _before_ puberty but not so far in advance (e.g. 5 or 6 years) for it to be nonsensical.

As for the other poster who talked about kids hitting puberty at 8 - if this is so, then that is the time to teach them sex ed - you don't freak them out at the age of 6 "just in case". What kind of parenting is that?

Let kids be kids for god's sake. Why complicate and confuse their lives before it is necessary?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Err yes. If he is the father then, ergo, he has reached puberty. If you read my original message properly you will see that I would be advocating sex ed _before_ puberty but not so far in advance (e.g. 5 or 6 years) for it to be nonsensical.

As for the other poster who talked about kids hitting puberty at 8 - if this is so, then that is the time to teach them sex ed - you don't freak them out at the age of 6 "just in case". What kind of parenting is that?

Let kids be kids for god's sake. Why complicate and confuse their lives before it is necessary?

So you are saying when a kid hits puberty teach them then? Well how exactly would you know precisely when a boy has started puberty? Children start at different ages and they certainly don't announce it to their parents.

Kids can still be kids even when aware of sex. Speaking from my own experience i had older siblings so i found out from them but i must have only been about 8 or 9 and it didn't do me any harm being aware.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you are saying when a kid hits puberty teach them then? Well how exactly would you know precisely when a boy has started puberty? Children start at different ages and they certainly don't announce it to their parents.

Kids can still be kids even when aware of sex. Speaking from my own experience i had older siblings so i found out from them but i must have only been about 8 or 9 and it didn't do me any harm being aware.

Did you read my post? I even emphasised the word BEFORE in the phrase BEFORE PUBERTY. Does that answer your question?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you read my post? I even emphasised the word BEFORE in the phrase BEFORE PUBERTY. Does that answer your question?

Yes and clearly you cannot read my posts either. If a child starts puberty at 8 then by your own comments before 8 would be 7 then. So how is it wrong for the OP 6 and 8 years old children to see this advert? As i said, you cannot forsee when a child will begin puberty so just simply saying BEFORE is not really reliable enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What if a child hits puberty at 12, what good is it telling them about sex at the age of 6?

The schools round here think 10 is the time to be telling them, and I am comfortable with that, personally...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if a child hits puberty at 12, what good is it telling them about sex at the age of 6?

The schools round here think 10 is the time to be telling them, and I am comfortable with that, personally...

Might not do them any good but what harm can it do either?

They did it about 10 when i was at school as well and as i said i was already aware. After listening to the talk again at school it didn't change my perceptions from what i'd heard before. So my own experience learning it early did me no harm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

10 is about right.

Mind you, if parents had the balls to drop it into conversations earlier then it wouldn't become a BIG issue at all.

I had "Human Body" book when I was about 7, and by the time sex ed came along, it was no biggie. Some kids were horrified because their stupid parents had never mentioned it.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Fangster wrote: »
    Ah yes coincidence, the basis for all rational debate!

So why is it the Netherlands had the lowest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe and the most progressive sex education?

Not sure excatly why, although I do know the SE in Holland presents a very negative view of teen pregnancy and Dutch kids are told it can be a barrier to success in adulthood.
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I was happy when my daughter asked what it was all about.She's 12 and I think she's about the right age for information like that.I'm also glad that we as parents informed her without any scare stories or hysteria.Especially after she came home a couple of months ago saying how in Citizenship they'd learnt that Ecstasy was perfectly safe if YOU DRANK LOADS OF WATER.Now after those kids dying of drinking too much water I'm not even sure if schools a good thing for kids ffs.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    I was happy when my daughter asked what it was all about.She's 12 and I think she's about the right age for information like that.I'm also glad that we as parents informed her without any scare stories or hysteria.Especially after she came home a couple of months ago saying how in Citizenship they'd learnt that Ecstasy was perfectly safe if YOU DRANK LOADS OF WATER.Now after those kids dying of drinking too much water I'm not even sure if schools a good thing for kids ffs.

You've identified a major issue there. There seems to be an ideology underlying the curriculum that you can't tell kids to not do it, only give them 'the facts', leading to responses like your daughter's. We seem scared of explicitly telling kids that it's dangerous and illegal. This where they get it right in Holland - they actually dare to say to kids that teen pregnancy might not be a good thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    You've identified a major issue there. There seems to be an ideology underlying the curriculum that you can't tell kids to not do it, only give them 'the facts', leading to responses like your daughter's. We seem scared of explicitly telling kids that it's dangerous and illegal. This where they get it right in Holland - they actually dare to say to kids that teen pregnancy might not be a good thing.

They should be telling them that getting pregnant at 14 makes you look fat and stupid.

That getting completely pi**ed and throwing up over your new dress will make boys find you unattractive and cheap.

But you're not allowed to say anything that might "impact their self esteem", now are you?

Citizenship... what a fooking joke... we are not citizens, we are, sadly, subjects.
    A bankrupt school subject for a bankrupt Britain where parents are too stupid to hand down common sense advice and rules, and would rather let the schools deal with it.

Such a shame the UK reached its intellectual peak in the 60's.

We're in negative equity now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    the pregnancy rate for schoolgirls does seem to have gone up coincidentally with the rise in sex education in schools.

That's utter drivel and not borne out by any of the long-term studies across the world. Where did you read that? The Daily Mail?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    hardylane wrote: »
    What drivel.

The pregnancy rate has risen because the level of teenage common sense has dropped.

WITHOUT sex education , the rate would be FAR, FAR higher...

lol. jinx post! Great minds think alike eh? Drivel is clearly the right word if we both thought of it :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    Not sure excatly why, although I do know the SE in Holland presents a very negative view of teen pregnancy and Dutch kids are told it can be a barrier to success in adulthood.

Do you disagree? I think that's exactly the sort of realistic warning that kids need. Having a kid changes your life, it shouldn't be undertaken lightly, nor at a time (in your teens) when you're not really mature enough to make that decision.
  • Options
    ClientFanClientFan Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps you should have been doing constructive things with them then instead of relying on the television as a babysitter.