Options

Watchdog

BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wish other channels did consumer shows where I could whinge about how irredeemably twee, trivial, unfunny and bullying Watchdog is.

Comments

• Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Borsant wrote: »
    I wish other channels did consumer shows where I could whinge about how irredeemably twee, trivial, unfunny and bullying Watchdog is.

You are not far wrong.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not seen it for about a year,

He was deliberately trying to provoke that ariel guy, overtly patronising and with that slow talking nonsense, I wanted to thump him.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually really enjoy it but this series has been dull so far.
  • Options
    sjamessjames Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else noticed how in Rogue Trader segments this series Matt hasn't allowed anyone else to speak so far. When he confronts the rogues, he doesn't seem to listen to them, he just tends to go off on one Jeremy Kyle style and not get anywhere.

I didn't think it was quite as bad as this in previous series. In particular this week with Skyforce TV Aerials, the boss was willing to have a chat and view the footage off camera, but Matt didn't seem to hear that, just continued saying the same question over and over and got no answer until they were told to leave!
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watchdog over its Yeats has done a lot of consumers getting better deals, stopping rip offs, exposing crooks, getting better consumer rights, making products safer, stopping bad salesmen, getting big corporations to think customer first and profits second.

There isn't another show that comes close and everyone respects it.

If for example from showing Claudia Winklemans daughters story about dresses catching fire they can bring a change and stop children getting burnt next Halloween then it's worth its weight in gold.

Think kettle cables shorter saving burns, and electric plugs moulded on stopping us outing them on wrong, think them stopping chemicals on sofas burning people's skin and putting those rouge traders in prison. It's a fantastic show, if people think they are bullies yes they are as you need a bulky to stand up to a bigger bully.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »
    Watchdog over its Yeats has done a lot of consumers getting better deals, stopping rip offs, exposing crooks, getting better consumer rights, making products safer, stopping bad salesmen, getting big corporations to think customer first and profits second.

If for example from showing Claudia Winklemans daughters story about dresses catching fire they can bring a change and stop children getting burnt next Halloween then it's worth its weight in gold.

Think kettle cables shorter saving burns, and electric plugs moulded on stopping us outing them on wrong, think them stopping chemicals on sofas burning people's skin and putting those rouge traders in prison. It's a fantastic show, if people think they are bullies yes they are as you need a bulky to stand up to a bigger bully.

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Your argument is detestable, you do not defeat the enemy by sinking to it's/their level...
  • Options
    BorsantBorsant Posts: 1,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »

I agree with the idea of a consumer rights show and only the Beeb would do one so amen to that... It's just the cheesy puns and awful 'jokes' I can't stand. The fake Adele' thing was just so lame, and the unbalanced hectoring of relatively small businesses, felt demeaning.

I would imagine most of the companies featured have happy customers as well, and when small businesses are the lifeblood of the economy, I think they should excercise a bit more balance.