Options

SunTrap

Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,751
Forum Member
✭✭
When the BBC debuts a new 'comedy' series at the prime time location of 10:45pm on a Wednesday in May I should have known what to expect.

Needless to say I've not been disappointed its absolutely dire! It's that lowbrow I think the Chuckle Brothers would have turned the material down as being childish!

Comments

• Options
    prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,098
    Forum Member
    Dreadful stuff. I managed to last about 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Tony_BurkeTony_Burke Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    One of the worst 'comedy' shows I have ever seen.
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I left when he turned up at the Vet. It almost seems written and acted for CBBC or something.
  • Options
    PR.PR. Posts: 2,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to wonder how long it went through the BBC comedy mangle to end up with that. Still a nice holiday out in the sun for the actors...
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the acting purposely bad or something? They seem to be saying their lines really fast to me especially the phone jacker guy
  • Options
    Tarriq IbrahimTarriq Ibrahim Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    When I first heard about this show being commissioned and that Bradley Walsh and Kayvan Novak were in it I was really optimistic as I like them both. Sad to say that it's absolutely dire.
  • Options
    BushmillsBushmills Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It rivals The Wright Way as the worst sitcom of modern times. How that was ever commissioned is beyond me. Dire.
  • Options
    EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how many will tune in next week?? For BBC 1 this was a poor show in my opinion. As comedy goes in the sun Benidorm shines miles ahead on ITV.
  • Options
    HorizonHorizon Posts: 1,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lasted 7 minutes into this rubbish and that was plenty.

The last time the BBC made decent comedies was during the Keeping Up Appearances/One Foot In The Grave era.

To think that the BBC used to have comedies on most days like Steptoe & Son, Dad's Army, Butterflies, Allo, Allo and who can forget Only Fools and Horses etc to name a few.

By the time it got to things like Outnumbered and My Family, comedy was wafer thin and now its non existent.

What has gone wrong at the beeb and for that matter, the other broadcasters too? ITV also used to have strong comedies like Rising Damp, On The Buses, Never The Twain etc But hey, we have celebrity chefs and programmes following people down the sewers instead. It's called progress...
  • Options
    Steven88Steven88 Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Horizon wrote: »
    I lasted 7 minutes into this rubbish and that was plenty.

The last time the BBC made decent comedies was during the Keeping Up Appearances/One Foot In The Grave era.

To think that the BBC used to have comedies on most days like Steptoe & Son, Dad's Army, Butterflies, Allo, Allo and who can forget Only Fools and Horses etc to name a few.

By the time it got to things like Outnumbered and My Family, comedy was wafer thin and now its non existent.

What has gone wrong at the beeb and for that matter, the other broadcasters too? ITV also used to have strong comedies like Rising Damp, On The Buses, Never The Twain etc But hey, we have celebrity chefs and programmes following people down the sewers instead. It's called progress...

There is plenty of decent relatively new BBC sitcoms, Rev, The Thick Of It, Ideal, Car Share and going back a few years Early Doors and The Smoking Room being a few examples. The BBC along with Channel 4 have always produced the best sitcoms and ITV has always been dire, I think the only series i've enjoyed on there was Rising Damp and the first couple of series of Benidorm were OK.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This looked like utter garbage from the trailer.

Sheik rattle and roll, dear oh dear.
  • Options
    scoobiesnacksscoobiesnacks Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it a chance , comedies aren't made in one episode.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do feel sorry for Kayvan and Bradley, but what attracted them to it?
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give it a chance , comedies aren't made in one episode.
    What? Of course they are. If you can write humour and get (funny) people to present it in a humourous way ... you've got a comedy. It doesn't take time to develop a joke (well, not past a couple of seconds). And all this rubbish about "slow burners" is just absurd - programmes are either good from the start or they're not.
    As for "comedy", if the writers can't manage to drop in a laugh in the first minute then they've failed. This one was a turkey even before the titles came up.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    petely wrote: »
    What? Of course they are. If you can write humour and get (funny) people to present it in a humourous way ... you've got a comedy. It doesn't take time to develop a joke (well, not past a couple of seconds). And all this rubbish about "slow burners" is just absurd - programmes are either good from the start or they're not.
    As for "comedy", if the writers can't manage to drop in a laugh in the first minute then they've failed. This one was a turkey even before the titles came up.

I believe 'Only Fools and Horses' was a slow burner. So much so, I read it was going to be axed after the 2nd series due to poor ratings. However, in those days the BBC persevered with comedies so they got some kind of fan base and momentum. I'm not that keen on it myself, but a lot of people think it's one of the best sitcoms the BBC has made and it definitely pulled in the ratings during its later runs.

Didn't see 'Suntrap', but I agree that the trailers looked abysmal.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Came across it by accident. Truly awful, jaw droppingly bad. How the hell could something like this get commissioned ?
  • Options
    Trappedin80'sTrappedin80's Posts: 6,270
    Forum Member
    Novak's dialogue was really terrible.

The rest of the show was just poor.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Love Kayvan Novak in most things but this was god awful.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I do feel sorry for Kayvan and Bradley, but what attracted them to it?

Being paid to go on holiday basically.
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    When the BBC debuts a new 'comedy' series at the prime time location of 10:45pm on a Wednesday in May I should have known what to expect.

10.45 is hardly prime time! Or were you being facetious? From reading the posts here, it seems I didn't miss much.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like I will delete it unwatched, based on these comments!
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    10.45 is hardly prime time! Or were you being facetious?
    I would have suspected the latter.

Anyway, one viewing of the trailer was enough to convince me of the quality of the comedy and to persuade me that I need not bother the PVR with this one.

At a time when the BBC is crying out for more adventurous and distinctive programming, when various people are questioning the BBC's position and income, somehow the commissioners hand this turkey to them - words fail me.
  • Options
    timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I read all the comments on here,before I got round to actually watching it.
    I expected it to be as bad as described,and was pleasantly surprised to find I liked it!
    Mindless,harmless tosh,certainly. But the infectious good time that Bradley Walsh and Kayvan Novak had filming it, came across ,to me.
    Yes, I am probably in a vast minority here, but as someone who thought that some of
    the 'highly acclaimed' comedy shows mentioned, were rubbish,I liked it.Live and let
    live folks,it's just a little show that's otherwise buried in a graveyard slot in the schedules
    And yes, I will be watching next week. It's mindless basic stuff, but it passes half an hour!
  • Options
    George7George7 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always been quite happy to pay for my TV licence, but after last night's Suntrap I feel like I want a partial refund. We managed 15 minutes and that was a real struggle. The series recording has now been deleted.
  • Options
    timboytimboy Posts: 30,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "That is a vulture and his name is John Terry."

The only line that made me laugh.