Antidepressant question

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been on citalopram for about a year now, and I've just lowered my dose to 10mg to try to wean myself off them. I've been taking 10mg for 2 weeks now, and aside from the usual side effects, which I can handle, I've been feeling really emotional, irate and generally depressed. At first I put it down to PMT but that's came and gone and I still feel like this.

I've been wanting to sleep all day and just lock myself in my room, not wanting to talk to anyone. I've also been overreacting and crying over almost anything.

I'm just wondering if this is an indication that I'm not ready to come off the AD's? I'm willing to go back up to my usual dose if it helps get rid of these feelings, I feel terrible.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Cuppa_Tea wrote: »
    I've been on citalopram for about a year now, and I've just lowered my dose to 10mg to try to wean myself off them. I've been taking 10mg for 2 weeks now, and aside from the usual side effects, which I can handle, I've been feeling really emotional, irate and generally depressed. At first I put it down to PMT but that's came and gone and I still feel like this.

I've been wanting to sleep all day and just lock myself in my room, not wanting to talk to anyone. I've also been overreacting and crying over almost anything.

I'm just wondering if this is an indication that I'm not ready to come off the AD's? I'm willing to go back up to my usual dose if it helps get rid of these feelings, I feel terrible.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.
    have you seen your doctor? the slower the better, i think when you`re coming off antid`s.
    you might find some detailed help here:
    http://www.crazymeds.us/CrazyTalk/index.php?showforum=16
  • mathertronmathertron Posts: 30,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say it was anything to do with being 'ready' to come off the meds, more a simple reaction to the reduced dose.

Good luck :)
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    Are you taking yourself off the meds or is the GP taking you off them? Also, what dose where you on before? It might just have been a big jump down. Some people are really sensitive to medication changes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm also curious as to whether you're taking yourself off the meds or whether it's something you've been told to do? It should really be done while being in contact with a GP/mental health practitioner to to make sure it's the right thing to do.

To me it doesn't sound like you're ready to come off them, or at least not go down to that dosage. But you should really get the opinion of your GP/CPN/psych. If the problem is the side-effects then remember Citalopram is not the only AD out there, so please don't think it's that or nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, this has all been done with the advice of my doctor. I was on 20mg before, just tapering off the dose gradually.
  • XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    You're probably going to have to stick with it. It's going to be uncomfortable until your body settles down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you should definitely inform your GP and get their input. If it were me, and the side effects were manageable then I'd go back up to the 20mg. If reducing the dosage is notably affecting your mental health/quality of life then perhaps it's not time yet. A year on an AD is not a long time, and there's no point in being a martyr to your symptoms just for the sake of not being on medication.

If you are 'well' on 20mg, then that's the time to put the work in on other alternative coping strategies, for when you ARE ready to reduce or come off the meds.

But like I said, you should sit down with your GP and get their opinion - mental health and reactions to meds are a very individual thing! Hope you feel better soon, whatever you decide.
  • Edd_1980Edd_1980 Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Do discuss this with your GP. He'll know what to do and if you are ready to be reduced in dosage. The best of luck with it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the replies.