anyone going to get up to go to the next sales at 6am

Comments

• LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went once, but only cos I'd just come off nightshift and passed it on my way home. I usually get some bits online but haven't this time. Cutting back and all that.
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    I can think of nothing worse or more pathetic than getting up for 6am to stand and buy stuff that the shop couldn't shift for the last 365 days.

I have worked 2 boxing days in a row and I've never seen people act so Feral. I Witnessed people coming close to blows over stuff that on any other day of the year they would ignore. I had the pleasure of being involved in a full evacuation of a shopping centre on boxing day a few years back (small fire in a food court kitchen). People refused to leave in case someone else took their stuff and some had to be forced out by the firemen. Then they tried to barge in through the doors before the staff and again, had to be held back by the security people until it was time to let customers back into the centre. Absolute madness, people lose all sense of reality at the boxing day sales.

Seriously there is no need for them to start on the 26th, just start them on the 27th and give shop workers some well needed time off.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,789
    Forum Member
    6am is for sleeping!
  • SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend of mine that used to work at Next did last Boxing day. She said that the majority of those there at 6am were Asian, who were probably bored stiff all the previous day. Good on 'em!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    far2cool wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the people who work there who have to get up early on boxing day morning at deal with hundreds of annoying customers who are moaning about the sizes available at 6AM!!!

I once worked the first shift on Boxing Day for a well known clothing store. It was hell on earth. I couldn't believe the people lined up outside before we opened. I wanted to say, "haven't you feckers got better things to do than buy shit that's been marked down by a couple of quid?!"

I've seen more civilised piranha feeding frenzies.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get out of bed at 6am for anything. Well maybe if my bed was on fire.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My auntie goes to every Next sale at ridiculous o'clock.

She also gets an early pass or something to the sale on the website - she told me yesterday that she's so far spent over £300 online alone!!

And she's not even gone to the sale in store yet! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    Yours start at six in the morning?!

The madness across the pond in Canada, well, in our area in Montreal generally starts at about noon or one o'clock.

Am I going? I think not! I'd rather whittle down some bamboo sticks until they are razor-sharp and pointy, and insert them underneath each of my fingernails.

If the late Ol' Mama Bin Laden (ex step MIL) was still on this planet, why I'd rather run to her, give her a bear hug and several kisses than go shopping on Boxing Day.

Mr D didn't like the old bat, either. When we returned from a torturous four day visit to see her in Ontario, when we got home and he saw a framed photo of her on our coffee table he snatched it up and smashed it.

I think that it was shortly after that visit that I found I Hate My In-Laws -- where hating your in-laws is fun! http://www.ihatemyinlaws.com/

I never post(ed) on the site but I love reading the stories; I still visit the site to read. Some of the stories! Some of the MILs' descriptions written by long-suffering wives (and husbands, too!) make Ol' Mama Bin Laden seem like a saint.

For some reason, SILs get a lot of flak as well. I love Mr D's sister, myself, she's a wonderful and kind, gentle woman. I lucked out there.

There are very few FIL stories, though there is one writer who has a FIL she can't stand.

I wonder if he'll be attending the sales tomorrow? Course in the US there are sales that are held right after the American Thanksgiving holiday -- "Black Friday". Same bedlam -- different name.
  • DubDubDubDub Posts: 2,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, shes worth it :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had the sale preview invite and shopped online on Friday. TBH it was a pretty poor selection. They seem to churn out each year now stuff that I've never seen online or in the directory the rest of the year.

I have got up in years gone by (maybe 5 years ago) and queued outside but not any more.

There was an amusing thread on a forum a while back about tactics for the Next sale and it was talking about people being "sorters" where they literally grab as much as they can and then meet in an agreed point with their friends in the store to SIT down and sort through what they want/don't want between them. Now thats a step too far in my opin.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,165
    Forum Member
    I never bother with sales, they're always trying to offload some cheap tat that looks like it's seen better days. I'll have a browse online, but I won't be venturing out!
  • dave81ukdave81uk Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drove past a local retail park this morning, nothing was open, this included Next, even Tesco's was shut.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,961
    Forum Member
    Not until 2pm, though not to shop. To work! :eek: Dreading it.
  • DonScaramangaDonScaramanga Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did :D Got to my local next at 5:30am and still had to wait just over an hour to get inside. Was worth it though.
    My theory is you get ripped off for the vast majority of the year. Today it was pay back time. I took full advantage. Came home with loads of clothes for my niece and got some stuff for me also, all under £130 I'm happy. Going to hit the shops again in about an hour or so... I'm knackered lol.
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Miss Taken wrote: »
    Apart from suits you can always tell when something has been bought from Next. Not a good thing.

How do you mean?
    Forum Member
    Sensible people got an online VIP invite and did all their sales shopping last Thursday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I can say is if people have got up at 5am to go and queue to get in a high street shop, they must have a bloody sad existence.
  • ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather be torn to shreds by the raptors in Jurassic Park.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Anyone who gets up early to go to Boxing Day sales is a sad fcuk, no argument.

Many shops artificially inflate their prices for a couple of weeks before Christmas and drop it down to the normal price 'for the sales'.

Also, like all sales, the sale items are the cheap rubbish the shops want to get rid of. There is absolutely no value in buying sale items in places like Next - if it was decent stuff, it wouldn't be in with the rest of the crap in the sale.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why NEXT though?!

Dont other shops have sales?
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    I popped into Next this afternoon and I've seen better stuff in charity shops. I don't see the appeal of Next at all.
  • BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »

Many shops artificially inflate their prices for a couple of weeks before Christmas and drop it down to the normal price 'for the sales'.

Also, like all sales, the sale items are the cheap rubbish the shops want to get rid of. There is absolutely no value in buying sale items in places like Next - if it was decent stuff, it wouldn't be in with the rest of the crap in the sale.

Agree 100%.

Mainly because I used to work in retail and can definitely confirm that prices do go up before Christmas to make up for money lost in the sales.

It's rare to actually get a proper good deal, even if you think it is, the product is still way overpriced, the shops are always the winners in the end.
  • RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,234
    Forum Member
    I had the sale preview invite and shopped online on Friday. TBH it was a pretty poor selection. They seem to churn out each year now stuff that I've never seen online or in the directory the rest of the year.

I have got up in years gone by (maybe 5 years ago) and queued outside but not any more.

There was an amusing thread on a forum a while back about tactics for the Next sale and it was talking about people being "sorters" where they literally grab as much as they can and then meet in an agreed point with their friends in the store to SIT down and sort through what they want/don't want between them. Now thats a step too far in my opin

if I knew of any freinds or family who took part in such a farce I would disown them!

its the retail staff that have to spoil their xmas by getting up early (or in some cases go in on Xmas day to alter prices/signage) and deal with such morons that I feel most sorry for.
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »

Not always. I've got some Diesel trainers for £40 in the Next sale.
  • SproggSprogg Posts: 16,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I popped into Next this afternoon and I've seen better stuff in charity shops. I don't see the appeal of Next at all.

Agreed. It's cheap looking outdated tat. Anyone who is decked out in Next looks pathetic... Man, woman or child.