Options

Athletics 2014

Comments

• Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Jo is what Brendan Foster could have been if only he'd have been able to give birth ;-)

Bren has won more than Jo, although less than the great Kip Keino.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off to an early start on Eurosport with the 20k walk before I have to go to work. They have put ropes made of banana leaves down into the tram lines to prevent the athletes from turning their ankles, seemingly.
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    British mens middle distance seems to be in a bit of a state

It has been for years sadly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    baroquepop wrote: »
    I was looking at going, but seat prices were rather steep, and for the full 6 days it was quite a sizable total. I think that would put off some travelling fans.

(Last time I went to the Euros was Munich 2002 and the tickets cost very little.)

Oh, and well done to Jo Pavey. Despite watching a recording when I got home I was still yelling at the TV!

The cheapest ticket for an adult for the two sessions in a day is £65. That also includes public transport. I paid £30 for my morning ticket only at the Commonwealth games athletics at Hampden and would have paid £40 for the evening session I think making it £70. So not much difference. I think it's the cost of accommodation in Switzerland that's an issue plus given the Swiss have very few athletes of note it's not getting much in the way of crowds.
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's really horrible to see a hurdler on the track.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Net wrote: »
    The cheapest ticket for an adult for the two sessions in a day is £65. That also includes public transport. I paid £30 for my morning ticket only at the Commonwealth games athletics at Hampden and would have paid £40 for the evening session I think making it £70. So not much difference. I think it's the cost of accommodation in Switzerland that's an issue plus given the Swiss have very few athletes of note it's not getting much in the way of crowds.

The Diamond League Weltklasse always sells out - I did expect larger crowds. Will be interesting to see if the rest of this week the crowds are better with more finals in the evening sessions.

Not really that surprised about empty seats at morning sessions though - I really think Britain is unusual in that the morning sessions at major champs are always rammed (Manchester, Glasgow & London all the same). The only other time I remember morning sessions being packed was in Sydney.

One other thing about the crowds - the selfie craze clearly hasn't reached Switzerland. When Pavey was doing her lap of honour there was plenty of high fives and autograph requests but didn't see a single selfie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    The Diamond League Weltklasse always sells out - I did expect larger crowds. Will be interesting to see if the rest of this week the crowds are better with more finals in the evening sessions.

Not really that surprised about empty seats at morning sessions though - I really think Britain is unusual in that the morning sessions at major champs are always rammed (Manchester, Glasgow & London all the same). The only other time I remember morning sessions being packed was in Sydney.

One other thing about the crowds - the selfie craze clearly hasn't reached Switzerland. When Pavey was doing her lap of honour there was plenty of high fives and autograph requests but didn't see a single selfie.

They were in Beijing too. Very hot tickets! As for the Weltklasse selling out - not surprising given the personalities all over the world that it attracts. We have to admit that over half the worlds talent at not at these Games.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am at work so missing the evening sessions.
    However looking at the sparse crowds I would like Euro Athletics to take a gamble in 2019.

The gamble being involved in the 2019 European Games either by moving the Team Championship event to the Games or the u23's Championship to the Games. I wonder if people would attend, knowing it is part of a bigger event, and being a year before The Olympics, seeing young athletes at a multi sport event for the first time before the BIG event.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Am at work so missing the evening sessions.
    However looking at the sparse crowds I would like Euro Athletics to take a gamble in 2019.

The gamble being involved in the 2019 European Games either by moving the Team Championship event to the Games or the u23's Championship to the Games. I wonder if people would attend, knowing it is part of a bigger event, and being a year before The Olympics, seeing young athletes at a multi sport event for the first time before the BIG event.
    I think the best way to attract crowds is to hold nearly all the events in Britain!! It can't have escaped the notice of the organising bodies how well British crowds support athletics and multi-sport events.
  • Options
    Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    I think the best way to attract crowds is to hold nearly all the events in Britain!! It can't have escaped the notice of the organising bodies how well British crowds support athletics and multi-sport events.

Exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Net wrote: »
    They were in Beijing too. Very hot tickets! As for the Weltklasse selling out - not surprising given the personalities all over the world that it attracts. We have to admit that over half the worlds talent at not at these Games.
    The Olympics were a national celebration for China. Wonder if morning sessions of world athletics championships would be so well supported there today though.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    The Olympics were a national celebration for China. Wonder if morning sessions of world athletics championships would be so well supported there today though.

find out next year
  • Options
    smudesmude Posts: 17,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish Jess Judd would tie her hair back. As an ex PE teacher it's driving me mad.
  • Options
    alexjonesalexjones Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well our female 800m runners are a lot more impressive than our male ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lynsey Sharp looked great there - impressed with both her & Eilidh that they seem to look fresh and not carrying over any physical and/or emotional baggage from Glasgow. I would love Lynsey to win here & get her big moment on the podium which she was robbed of in 2012.

And imagine how annoyed Andy Vermin will be if she has another medal to talk about. :p
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,034
    Forum Member
    Well Jo Pavey has shown the youngsters how it can be done.

No excuses about tiredness and age now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    find out next year
    True. Forgot they will be in Beijing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vicaut out of the 100m according to Eurosport. Just Lemaitre vs the Brits now
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

harry has no excuse not to be top 2 now! i hope he makes it.
    semi final 2 compared to semi final 3 is strange. how have the organisers got away with arranging the semis like that?
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes also reported in the french press that it is the end of his season

Good for the Brits but not for the neutrals. dents the French relay team too
  • Options
    ali1234ali1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes also reported in the french press that it is the end of his season

Good for the Brits but not for the neutrals. dents the French relay team too

french relay have had bad luck in recent times. lemaitre had to pull out after the 100m final in moscow and remy pulled out at the start line of the 4x100m in the bahamas! however if the USA relay team lose their medals, they do move up to bronze in london. every cloud.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The start of the evening session has been delayed until 5.35pm UK time due to strong winds affecting the stadium at present.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Evo102 wrote: »
    The start of the evening session has been delayed until 5.35pm UK time due to strong winds affecting the stadium at present.
    That's good for us 9-5 office workers!!
  • Options
    Lunatic DreyfusLunatic Dreyfus Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't aware Switzerland had weather!

What with tents being blown around the warm up track and Gabby's hairdo struggling to stay "just so", it almost looks exciting.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware Switzerland had weather!

What with tents being blown around the warm up track and Gabby's hairdo struggling to stay "just so", it almost looks exciting.
    Not a problem for Denise though as she's gelled up to high heaven