3D football?

irvin38Airvin38A Posts: 797
Forum Member
✭✭
Is sky showing premier league games in 3D this season? Can't see any scheduled for this weekend.

Comments

• El GuapoEl Guapo Posts: 4,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irvin38A wrote: »
    Is sky showing premier league games in 3D this season? Can't see any scheduled for this weekend.

Think it died a death? 3D is so 2013! :D
  • Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Gutted if sky are losing interest in 3D!!!!
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Dansky+HD wrote: »

The fact they've scaled back their 3D channel is not sign enough for you?! :confused:
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member

3D is dying!!
    Ian.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THOMO wrote: »
    3D is dying!!
    Ian.

Dead! :o
  • Gordie10Gordie10 Posts: 2,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen Sky promoting anything at all in 3D for many months now. Think we're just about done with it. Can't say I'll miss it (seeing as I've never had it or wanted it).
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3D Ryder Cup in September according to Sky Sports website.

...and 3D films keep coming - Gravity, next week.
    Forum Member
    Gordie10 wrote: »
    I haven't seen Sky promoting anything at all in 3D for many months now. Think we're just about done with it. Can't say I'll miss it (seeing as I've never had it or wanted it).

If you had had it and liked it you may have wanted it to stay
    You don't know whether on not you miss it.
    Like saying "I miss driving that Ferrari I've never had"

Not having a go
    but for us that like 3D we have seen tv companies half commit to 3D
    which has stifled its progression.

If nearly every match or event and all 3D movies were on the 3D channel
    and the catch 22 situation we are in was negated
    I'm confident 3D would have taken off!!!
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    If you had had it and liked it you may have wanted it to stay
    You don't know whether on not you miss it.
    Like saying "I miss driving that Ferrari I've never had"

Not having a go
    but for us that like 3D we have seen tv companies half commit to 3D
    which has stifled its progression.

If nearly every match or event and all 3D movies were on the 3D channel
    and the catch 22 situation we are in was negated
    I'm confident 3D would have taken off!!!

Dan, if you're going to say something, atleast be honest okay!
    Sky invested a huge vat of money in 3D, as did MANY of the worlds biggest broadcasters & movie studios.
    The simple fact is (Regardless if you want to open your eyes and see this or not) 3D has not taken off.
    Its not user friendly, anyone with even a slight eye sight issue that affects one eye cannot use it, it causes headaches, its expensive... Need i go on?!

Great, you like 3D, some do, but the vast majority do not.
    But to say companies half committed.... Please!
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget 3D is a standard feature of around 90% of mid- to high-end TV's and all 4K sets have 3D just in case it takes off again. :)
  • missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    12 per cent of the UK population has a visual impairment that prevents them from seeing 3D images, as well around 10 per cent of the UK population has poor binocular vision, which means it is difficult for them to see 3D effects in movies and video games. Instead, they see a blurry image, and can suffer headaches and eye strain as a result. so easy to see why its not been popular, their could also be a big claim culture caused by the affects of watching 3D.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simon194 wrote: »
    Don't forget 3D is a standard feature of around 90% of mid- to high-end TV's and all 4K sets have 3D just in case it takes off again. :)

It will not take off again in current form i would say. It would only take off I think once you don't require the glasses as that is a pain and not user friendly. I know lots of friends with a 3D TV but they cannot invite anyone round to watch anything as they only have one pair! Great! lol
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Dan, if you're going to say something, atleast be honest okay!
    Sky invested a huge vat of money in 3D, as did MANY of the worlds biggest broadcasters & movie studios.
    The simple fact is (Regardless if you want to open your eyes and see this or not) 3D has not taken off.
    Its not user friendly, anyone with even a slight eye sight issue that affects one eye cannot use it, it causes headaches, its expensive... Need i go on?!

Great, you like 3D, some do, but the vast majority do not.
    But to say companies half committed.... Please!

So there is an abundance of content and quite a few channels.

Have the BBC, ITV Ch4 Ch5 all those satellite stations all produced lots of content NO!!!
    Cricket in 3D more than 3 or 4 entertainment shows in 3D
    Most documentaries in 3D.... NO NO NO

I stand by what I have said and fully respect your views
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So there is an abundance of content and quite a few channels.

Have the BBC, ITV Ch4 Ch5 all those satellite stations all produced lots of content NO!!!
    Cricket in 3D more than 3 or 4 entertainment shows in 3D
    Most documentaries in 3D.... NO NO NO

I stand by what I have said and fully respect your views

Only the BBC ever did anything with 3D (ignoring Channel 4s 3D week) this time around, you can expect companies to invest in 3D simply because it's expensive and not cost effective.

If you like 3D you will need to stick to BluRays, I believe Marvel have committed all their future films to being 3D and you know Disney Animations will likely come in 3D, however the cost of doing this only works with big Multi-million dollar films that will still profit even after the cost or 3D.

Sky have struggled to monotise 3D, it's not clear how many people are with Sky solely for the use of 3D, but id predict it's not that many, and Sky have struggled to find advertisers for the channel due to the lack of adverts in 3D.

Simply, it's dying because it's not cost effective to produce, and isn't a wanted feature by consumers for everyday content, including sport.
  • webbiewebbie Posts: 1,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion it only really works with animations. It just looks false when used for real people/situations.
  • PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky limiting 3D content to only those that had sports and movies was a mistake too. Lots of people who might have watched couldn't.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3D is difficult and thus expensive to produce ...
    Most people do not see depth by stereopsis ...
    Occlusion is the overwhelming cue ... And you don't need two eyes for that ..
    Or relative size or texture etc ....
    And given visual acuity stereopsis cannot work for objects more than about 15 m away.
    ( 1 min of arc and inter ocular 60 to 70 mm) i.e. Both your eyes see the same thing,
    ... And football is ? Metres away...
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3D is difficult and thus expensive to produce ...
    Most people do not see depth by stereopsis ...
    Occlusion is the overwhelming cue ... And you don't need two eyes for that ..
    Or relative size or texture etc ....
    And given visual acuity stereopsis cannot work for objects more than about 15 m away.
    ( 1 min of arc and inter ocular 60 to 70 mm) i.e. Both your eyes see the same thing,
    ... And football is ? Metres away...

Football works very well in 3D, much more like being there a more realistic viewing angle, tennis works well also as did F1 when I saw the practice in Spain, great to see the actual rise and fall of the circuit, golf is good too.
    If 3D football is gone I'll cancel the films, only got them as it was the only way of getting the 3D channel when it launched.
  • whitestripe7whitestripe7 Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Generally, I'm not a big 3D fan but I did watch Gravity in 3D last night and was blown away by how good the PQ was.
    Downloaded the HD movie for comparison and it was nowhere near as impressive, so I think this type of film does lend itself to HD.

I'll need to look out for some more on Sky.