Odd police behaviour?

2»

Comments

• SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    That's a fair point.

For all we know, I suppose somebody could have told them that the guy in question had a gang of armed thugs at his house and he was planning an armed coup or summat.

It still seems weird that the cops would show up in such force and then go away again simply after talking to him through the letter-box.
    I mean, basically they showed up to take him into custody after he skipped his court appearance but then he somehow talked them out of it by refusing to let them into his house for 2 hours and then discussing it through the letter-box.

Is that definitely why they turned up though, due to his failure to appear at court?
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Somner wrote: »
    Is that definitely why they turned up though, due to his failure to appear at court?

That's what he told my doggy-sitter afterwards. He said that he told them he'll go to the local cop-shop later today (when it's open).

Course, he might be fibbing but my doggy-sitter is enjoying being a source of info' and I think she would have been happy to speculate if she knew of any other reason why they might have been there.

FWIW, I was wondering why he didn't actually go to the court but he reckons he just thought it was one of those "if you don't plan to contest it you can stay at home" things, like a speeding ticket or something.

But, erm, yeah. Apparently they told him that they were there to arrest him after his failure to appear in court and he just drew the curtains and ignored them for 2 hours. :blush:
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what he told my doggy-sitter afterwards. He said that he told them he'll go to the local cop-shop later today (when it's open).

Course, he might be fibbing but my doggy-sitter is enjoying being a source of info' and I think she would have been happy to speculate if she knew of any other reason why they might have been there.

FWIW, I was wondering why he didn't actually go to the court but he reckons he just thought it was one of those "if you don't plan to contest it you can stay at home" things, like a speeding ticket or something.

But, erm, yeah. Apparently they told him that they were there to arrest him after his failure to appear in court and he just drew the curtains and ignored them for 2 hours. :blush:

It's either not in the public interests to arrest him, put him in custody overnight, etc, etc for the level of crime he's alleged to have committed.

Or, possibly the police were called away to deal with a more serious incident. You did say there were a lot of them there.

If it was that serious, they'd have broken in and arrested him.
  • SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    It's either not in the public interests to arrest him, put him in custody overnight, etc, etc for the level of crime he's alleged to have committed.

Then why go to all the effort that they did?
    Or, possibly the police were called away to deal with a more serious incident. You did say there were a lot of them there.

That's a possibility.
    If it was that serious, they'd have broken in and arrested him.

True but based on the numbers of officers present and the kit used, for one reason or another it clearly wasn't expected to be a straight forward entry and arrest.

Maybe it was just operation overkill, who knows?
  • Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There really must have been some other information that led them to go the way they did. A couple of Officers is all that's needed for such an arrest, and we often used to do them on our own in the past.