Options

Maths/Makeup size question ASAP

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
Forum Member
Hi everyone,
Needing a bit of help before buying one of my mums birthday present (spoiling her this year as been tough year for her) so she isn't just getting this.

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_121070002599_-1

Anyway I see this serum that she loves comes in 2 sizes 30ml and 50ml

30ml - £48.00

50ml - £68.00

Was just wondering what is better value? would I be better buying another one at Christmas

thank you

Comments

• Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    If you multiply the first figure by 3 and the second figure by 2 then that will be an easy way to work it out.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    The 50ml is better value as the other one works out at £16 for 10 ml
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you both :)
    50ml it is :)
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    If you multiply the first figure by 3 and the second figure by 2 then that will be an easy way to work it out.

:confused:

Or if you divide the first by 3 and the second by 5 you will get an exact cost per 10ml - rather than two values which are for 90ml and 100ml.
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    The larger one works out cheaper at £13.60 per 10ml. The smaller one works out at £16 per 10ml. So if you buy the larger one it will save you £2.40 per 10ml.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    delete
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The larger one works out cheaper at £13.60 per 10ml. The smaller one works out at £16 per 10ml. So if you buy the larger one it will save you £2.40 per 10ml.

Thank you very much 50ml it is! cheers for doing the maths for me :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    two values which are for 90ml and 100ml.
    And which show that you pay more for less. Multiplication is easier than divison for many people.
  • Options
    John259John259 Posts: 28,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Multiplication is easier than divison for many people.
    True, but to get a more accurate comparison it would have better to have used the LCM which is 150ml.

30ml, £48.00
    So for 150ml that would mean buying five bottles which would cost 5 x £48 = £240

50ml, £68.00
    So for 150ml that would mean buying three bottles which would cost 3 x £68 = £204
    So this is the better value for money, even if you only buy one bottle.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is one very expensive product. I'm in the wrong business.
    Snake oil is cheaper. Actually, solid silver is cheaper!
    http://beautifinous.blogspot.gr/2014/07/clinique-smart-custom-repair-serum.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    John259 wrote: »
    True, but to get a more accurate comparison it would have better to have used the LCM which is 150ml..
    True. It is a trade off between the time spent spotting an easy way of do it and time spent doing it. Only needed to be accurate enough, not bang on.
  • Options
    Miss C. DeVilleMiss C. DeVille Posts: 6,042
    Forum Member
    claire77 wrote: »
    Thank you very much 50ml it is! cheers for doing the maths for me :)

I cheated and used a calculator ;-):D
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have education standards now got so low that this question even needs to be asked?
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could be. Or the OP is not so good at maths anyway.

But at least they asked, which is what we should all do when stuck on something.

Personally I went off Debenhams stuff years ago when I found out that shopping around could provide better value.
  • Options
    oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Hi

In France and Spain every product sold shows the price per litre/kilo next to the products price Saffron makes your eyes water
    oldcrakpot
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Have education standards now got so low that this question even needs to be asked?

I thought that.

The other point though is that the larger pack may be too expensive for the present, or may be a bigger bottle than is really needed. Smaller packs are more expensive because it isn't just about the amount of product.

Eg stores still sell loads of single packs of crisps even though multi packs work out cheaper.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

I thought that.

The other point though is that the larger pack may be too expensive for the present, or may be a bigger bottle than is really needed. Smaller packs are more expensive because it isn't just about the amount of product.

Eg stores still sell loads of single packs of crisps even though multi packs work out cheaper.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    A simple way is that places like Debenhams and John Lewis actually list what the cost would be per 100ml. So if you click on 30ml it is £160 per 100ml and 50ml is £136 per 100ml. You don't need to worry about Maths or working it out as they do it all for you.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or you could just divide the price by the respective ml quantity and get your price per ml. It's that simple... I do teach maths, but surely it's not that hard a sum?!
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    Or you could just divide the price by the respective ml quantity and get your price per ml. It's that simple... I do teach maths, but surely it's not that hard a sum?!

Some people just have a phobia about maths. I blame the teachers :-)

They freak out on anything maths related.

I've just done a Level 1 Introduction to accountancy. Some of the class had difficulty adding and subtracting, even with calculators.

Percentages, ratios, averages proved very difficult for some others too.

I don't know how they were on the course, they should have had a Maths Foundation course first. I don't condemn though, I have trouble with lots of subjects that I haven't studied or wasn't given the support I needed.

Edit: We should condemn the system
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    claire77 wrote: »

30ml - £48.00

50ml - £68.00

The 30ml one is £20 cheaper.

(The 50ml bottle might be less per unit volume, but so what? It might be even cheaper to buy it by the gallon, but it would be pointless buying that much. Use the spare £20 to buy an extra present if you need to spend more.)
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    It's a gift.. My mum uses the same serum, I got her the same one in 50ml last year for 45 quid..but with a free make up with tester gubbins inside (yeah I am not the most 'make up wise', but mum is!) Wait till xmas time bargains..however..

For a pressie now the boots no7 range is fantastic, my mum loved the over 50's eye, moisturiser and lip care that I got her, i tried some on myself, very glossy feel, then some powder on, make up doesnt slip for 6 hours :)