Options

Pointless - quiz show on BBC1 (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Thank you all. I thought I had gone mad.

Do the BBC really think we would not have noticed >:(

Thanks... I will have a youtube :)

I think the whole show is there - look for pointless series 7 episode 60
    I've just started on part one:)
  • Options
    chipsauntchipsaunt Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On Twitter there is a link to a message board where one of the jackpot winners explained. Apparently there was an error in one of the questions in the head to head so they decided not to show the repeat.
    I think an explanation would have been better than just missing it completely.
    I'm off to YouTube.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I think the whole show is there - look for pointless series 7 episode 60
    I've just started on part one:)

Found them and I just put both on here :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chipsaunt wrote: »
    On Twitter there is a link to a message board where one of the jackpot winners explained. Apparently there was an error in one of the questions in the head to head so they decided not to show the repeat.
    I'm off to YouTube.

Thanks for that. Yes they should have explained and am shocked it is on youtube.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm off to YouTube.

I suppose it was Fox Talbot inventing the negative? He made the first negative that could produce multiple prints not the first one ever. Though pulling the episode because of that seems pretty silly, especially when its an episode that will stick out like a sore thumb. Mind you the BBC is quite capable of making pretty silly descisions. Be interesting to see if Richard replies to lealeeds' tweet.
  • Options
    mike6265mike6265 Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    What was the error in one of the head to head questions?
  • Options
    snoweyowlsnoweyowl Posts: 1,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike6265 wrote: »
    What was the error in one of the head to head questions?

The description of the answer 'Pixel' is completely wrong. A Pixel is an abbreviation of 'Picture Element' not an electronic device in a camera.
  • Options
    GoCompareThisGoCompareThis Posts: 10,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the hell are the new episodes back? We've been waiting since JULY! >:(
  • Options
    SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even my OH who doesn't really watch Pointless and only vaguely pays attention to it when I'm watching commented on the missing large jackpot winning program.
    Do they think we're all so stupid that we wouldn't notice!? It wouldn't have been as noticeable if they'd put a new episode on today but they're still showing for waking repeats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    snoweyowl wrote: »
    The description of the answer 'Pixel' is completely wrong. A Pixel is an abbreviation of 'Picture Element' not an electronic device in a camera.

Thanks for the answer not that I knew it was the wrong one :blush:
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the hell are the new episodes back? We've been waiting since JULY! >:(

The BBC won't show new episodes while ITV are screening brand new quiz shows. The new quizzes always rate much lower than The Chase resulting in bigger ratings for Pointless, even for repeats.

The Chase returns to new episodes on September 1st so maybe we'll get new Pointless episodes then. The Radio Times website lists the episode on the 1st as a repeat but they also say that day's listings are provisional, so maybe that'll change when the final schedule is confirmed.

Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose it was Fox Talbot inventing the negative? He made the first negative that could produce multiple prints not the first one ever. Though pulling the episode because of that seems pretty silly, especially when its an episode that will stick out like a sore thumb. Mind you the BBC is quite capable of making pretty silly descisions. Be interesting to see if Richard replies to lealeeds' tweet.

I have just seen the You Tube version of episode 60. The two guys go first and say Henry Fox Talbot. The other couple really have no idea and pick qustion one and say sensor. I have always known the answer as William Fox Talbot. Other contestants have had their answers eliminated by getting the first name wrong. The answer put up is William Henry Fox Talbot. One could argue this was an incorrect answer. William Fox Talbot would be OK or William Henry Fox Talbot, but maybe not Henry Fox Talbot. To pull the show seems a silly decision. If they thought it was wrong did the other couple get 20k?
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re - New episodes

There are episodes to be shown from series 11 and then series 12 ( the one we are on ) but I guess it also boils down to how many shows you have in the can. Say they have 60, that is 12 weeks but then maybe they aren't able to film new ones until the new year ?

I guess if they didn't show repeats but showed Flog It or Antiques Roadtrip at that time then people probably wouldn't moan about it because they wouldn't notice so much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there's now an entry in the FAQ section of the BBC
    FAQ

Sadly it explains nothing and simply seems to be a fob off:(

"...We can advise that this episode was not originally scheduled to be broadcast.

However we can confirm that is under investigation and we will update this FAQ if and when we receive further information"

I'm not holding my breath that this FAQ will ever be updated.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Thank you all. I thought I had gone mad.

Do the BBC really think we would not have noticed >:(

Thanks... I will have a youtube :)

Edit: For those who want to watch.

http://youtu.be/uXCG7rQ3-OU

http://youtu.be/Pbha6qJzQI0

Yay! [highlight]:D*THANKS FOR THE LINKS BELLA*:D[/highlight]
    Me too, I thought I'd erased the recording by mistake.
  • Options
    3iff3iff Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Well, that's another stupid decision by the BBC. Had the jackpot not been won in that episode then no-one would have cared...but it was won so they should have shown it, badly worded question or not.
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sense of proportion? Pah, who needs it?
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Osman has just tweeted that he didn't know about the missing episode but will try to find out.
  • Options
    FirespireFirespire Posts: 4,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just seen the You Tube version of episode 60. The two guys go first and say Henry Fox Talbot. The other couple really have no idea and pick qustion one and say sensor. I have always known the answer as William Fox Talbot. Other contestants have had their answers eliminated by getting the first name wrong. The answer put up is William Henry Fox Talbot. One could argue this was an incorrect answer. William Fox Talbot would be OK or William Henry Fox Talbot, but maybe not Henry Fox Talbot. To pull the show seems a silly decision. If they thought it was wrong did the other couple get 20k?

Henry seems to be an acceptable answer
    http://www-history.mcs.st-and.ac.uk/Biographies/Talbot.html
    http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_p/1_photographers_talbot.htm
    http://foxtalbot.dmu.ac.uk/talbot/biography.html
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm off to YouTube.
    Well there's now an entry in the FAQ section of the BBC
    FAQ

Sadly it explains nothing and simply seems to be a fob off:(

"...We can advise that this episode was not originally scheduled to be broadcast.

However we can confirm that is under investigation and we will update this FAQ if and when we receive further information"

I'm not holding my breath that this FAQ will ever be updated.
    I too was puzzled as to what happened.

Surely just an onscreen disclaimer would do.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Osman has just tweeted the following:

"Apparently there was a legal reason they couldn't repeat the big jackpot win last week. But no-one told me so sorry I couldn't warn you."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that makes it even more bizarre as (against my expectation) the above FAQ has been updated to say
    "When episode 60 of series 7 was originally broadcast in 2012, a query was raised around the phrasing of one of the questions. This had no bearing on the outcome of the show, but on balance we decided it was best not to repeat episode 60."
    Not really tallying with Richards' reply.:confused:
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Showaddywaddy. The guy from Slade is so short.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,839
    Forum Member
    Evening all, only shocked they've not repeated the Dr Who edition:o
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,839
    Forum Member
    Noddy doesn't play with Slade any more though does he?
    So it's not Slade is it?
This discussion has been closed.