Choking on vomit? has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• XassyXassy Posts: 9,365
    Forum Member
    Hannah, have you spoken to your GP about your anxiety? Health anxiety is more common than most people realise. I think it would be a very good idea to address this issue with a medical professional. One piece of advice though, do not google your symptoms. It's a recipe for disaster!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xassy wrote: »
    One piece of advice though, do not google your symptoms. It's a recipe for disaster!
    I concur with that - if I believed everything I read online I'd be diabetic, have had several heart attacks ('oh no, a pain in my chest, it must be a heart attack!'), have RSI or Carpel Tunnel Syndrome, kidney infections, and probably more besides - and if this thread is anything to go by, should've choked to death on my own vomit by now too.

But nope, I don't believe it all, and have not bothered my doc or A&E with anything either, and guess what - I'm still alive! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to call it being sick in my throat and it happened occasionally. No big deal.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xassy wrote: »
    Hannah, have you spoken to your GP about your anxiety? Health anxiety is more common than most people realise. I think it would be a very good idea to address this issue with a medical professional. One piece of advice though, do not google your symptoms. It's a recipe for disaster!

Too right, you can scare yourself to death! but have those of you who criticise hannah, had panic/anxiety attacks?
    They are bloody awful, particularly when they are over health issues. I am a cancer phobic and lucky enough to have a very understanding GP and OH, I lost two sisters both in their fifties to cancer, and my fears are very real to me.
    So when people like Hannah ask for advice maybe its because she wants some reassurance and kindness, and coming onto the forums and expressing her fears might help her.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    So when people like Hannah ask for advice maybe its because she wants some reassurance and kindness, and coming onto the forums and expressing her fears might help her.

To be fair, fredster, a LOT of people have already tried to help Hannah, on many occasions, but after about the 25th thread on yet another innocuous symptom, I think they might be getting a bit tired.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We lost my daughter when she was 4. She had a heart virus. The second before she was sick her heart had stopped. Even if we had been in hospital there was nothing anyone could do. That what choking on vomit is in real life
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    To be fair, fredster, a LOT of people have already tried to help Hannah, on many occasions, but after about the 25th thread on yet another innocuous symptom, I think they might be getting a bit tired.

Ok susie, I have to say its the first time I have seen any of hannah's threads. but it sounds to me like a "cry for help", and maybe those close to her don't listen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,742
    Forum Member
    cariad450 wrote: »
    Angina is actually a serious medical condition which can have a huge impact on a persons life. A person who suffered chest pain and called an ambulance would not be chastised if it turned out to be angina. They would have been doing exactly the right thing. You would have been a timewaster for calling an ambulance for a "sick burp", something not life-threatening or an emergency in any way. Please don't insult those living with angina by comparing the two.
    I meant mild angina, sorry. I didn't mean to insult anybody. I was going to write indigestion instead of angina.
    Spot on. You really do need a massive dose of perspective OP.
    and you need to read what I wrote in response to you because I believe it's true.
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    We lost my daughter when she was 4. She had a heart virus. The second before she was sick her heart had stopped. Even if we had been in hospital there was nothing anyone could do. That what choking on vomit is in real life
    I'm sorry. :(
    I'm not sure what you mean, I have been given advice in the past but not for this particular issue. I have actually taken the advice given to me in the past.:confused:
  • whackyracerwhackyracer Posts: 15,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ': wrote:
    Hannah;45549138']I meant mild angina, sorry. I didn't mean to insult anybody. I was going to write indigestion instead of angina.
    and you need to read what I wrote in response to you because I believe it's true.

I'm sorry. :(

I'm not sure what you mean, I have been given advice in the past but not for this particular issue. I have actually taken the advice given to me in the past.:confused:

I'm sure you to believe it's true....but like I said....perspective my dear, perspective...
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    Ok susie, I have to say its the first time I have seen any of hannah's threads. but it sounds to me like a "cry for help", and maybe those close to her don't listen.

Fred, I have every sympathy with people suffering form anxiety disorders, but Hannah does post an excessive amount about various innocuous ailments, it does get tiresome.

Oh and Hannah, there's no such thing as "mild" angina - it's caused by atherosclerosis, which is a condition where the arteries become hardened and narrower, restricting the supply of blood to the heart. It is a serious warning sign that there is a increased risk of experiencing more serious conditions, such as a heart attack or stroke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and Hannah, there's no such thing as "mild" angina - it's caused by atherosclerosis, which is a condition where the arteries become hardened and narrower, restricting the supply of blood to the heart. It is a serious warning sign that there is a increased risk of experiencing more serious conditions, such as a heart attack or stroke.

Was it entirely wise to mention that, alfie? :cool:
  • MookleMookle Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People die of choking on vomit in their sleep - not if you are awake.

Acid reflux is pretty painful and I very much doubt it is that either.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was it entirely wise to mention that, alfie? :cool:
    Ooops:o Never mind, unless Hannah is a heavy smoker and grossly overweight, she shouldn't be a candidate for angina at her age. Please don't tell me she's a 60 roll-ups a day girl who weighs 30 stone?:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mookle wrote: »
    People die of choking on vomit in their sleep - not if you are awake.

Hannah is already rather afraid to go to sleep in case it happens then. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooops:o Never mind, unless Hannah is a heavy smoker and grossly overweight, she shouldn't be a candidate for angina at her age. Please don't tell me she's a 60 roll-ups a day girl who weighs 30 stone?:eek:

Hopefully not, but I just thought you might be giving out ideas!! :D
    Forum Member
    I'm sure you to believe it's true....but like I said....perspective my dear, perspective...
    It is true I'm sure it is. Why would you click on a thread when you know you have no advice to provide unless it was to insult the person.
    I want this thread to be closed now as people are being unhelpful and rude.
  • The GeekThe Geek Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah;45551240']It is true I'm sure it is. Why would you click on a thread when you know you have no advice to provide unless it was to insult the person.

Did you tell your dad about it? What does he think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hannah;45551240']It is true I'm sure it is. Why would you click on a thread when you know you have no advice to provide unless it was to insult the person.

It's always everyone else.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hannah, I don't think whacky was being rude or unkind.

I do get the impression from your threads that perhaps your perception of events is a bit skewed. Most people who experience a sicky burp for the first time would brush it off - honestly! You panic about it. That is not the usual response. On other threads your natural reaction wouldn't be natural to many other people.

It is this unusual response that people are reacting to.

I'm not at all qualified to suggest you have any kind of mental issue, but it does seem that you almost cause yourself distress. It is this that you might want to talk through with your GP. You could end up a happier, less stressed person if you do so.

I don't mind your threads at all, but you do seem unhappy and that saddens me.
    Forum Member
    It's always everyone else.
    That doesn't make sense. :confused: You haven't given me any advice throughout this thread so it makes sense that you were only posting on the thread to insult me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannah;45553185']That doesn't make sense. :confused: You haven't given me any advice throughout this thread so it makes sense that you were only posting on the thread to insult me.

Why do you ignore the one person on this thread who's offered you fresh and sympathetic advice, i.e. StressMonkey? You always go for the people who you feel are insulting you, and you ignore the ones who offer you something constructive. StressMonkey talks a lot of sense, you should take their advice.
    Forum Member
    Hannah, I don't think whacky was being rude or unkind.

I do get the impression from your threads that perhaps your perception of events is a bit skewed. Most people who experience a sicky burp for the first time would brush it off - honestly!
    I've experienced them in the past, it wasn't one of them.
    I'm not at all qualified to suggest you have any kind of mental issue, but it does seem that you almost cause yourself distress. It is this that you might want to talk through with your GP. You could end up a happier, less stressed person if you do so.

I don't mind your threads at all, but you do seem unhappy and that saddens me.
    That's the point though, if I didn't ask on here I'd be at the doctor's. People criticise me and say that it would be awful if I did call an ambulance, or on other threads, if I went to the doctor. So what do they expect me to do? I don't get it. I called NHS Direct because my bro swalowed chewing gum and could still feel it in his throat and it was bothering him and they criticised me for that as well. And then people tell me not to google. So I literally have nowhere to turn. :confused: I give up.
    I'm sorry if I appear rude. I don't mean to. I just don't understand. Thanks for offering me advice.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can't choke on a sick burps, as quickly as it happens it quickly disappears as we tend to swallow it back quickly!

Course your throat will burn, it's the acid from your stomach, no biggie.

You survived!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hannah;45553185']That doesn't make sense. :confused: You haven't given me any advice throughout this thread so it makes sense that you were only posting on the thread to insult me.

Here's some advice, listen to stress monkey!!
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hannah;45553326']I've experienced them in the past, it wasn't one of them.

That's the point though, if I didn't ask on here I'd be at the doctor's. People criticise me and say that it would be awful if I did call an ambulance, or on other threads, if I went to the doctor. So what do they expect me to do? I don't get it. I called NHS Direct because my bro swalowed chewing gum and could still feel it in his throat and it was bothering him and they criticised me for that as well. And then people tell me not to google. So I literally have nowhere to turn. :confused: I give up.
    I'm sorry if I appear rude. I don't mean to. I just don't understand. Thanks for offering me advice.

It's more about what you go to the doctors/call NHS direct/post here for.

You seem to focus on the isolated, individual events and their worst case scenario rather than your reaction to them - and it is your reaction to these events that cause us concern rather than the events themselves. Because your reaction doesn't fit with 'the norm'. Things that most would brush off, you get distressed by.

It can't be a nice way to live. All I'm suggesting is that you talk it over with your GP - have a read back through some of the threads you have posted, make a list of what happened, your reaction and the consensus of posters opinions. And show it to your GP.

I think you can get through life as you are. But to really enjoy life might take a bit of help. You are so young - I was 32 before I got my life in order and really started loving life. I suppose I am on a bit of a mission to encourage anyone who seems to be suffering to seek help as I hate to see years wasted.

I don't think you are rude. I do think you don't understand there is another way - but you need to seek help to find it.