Frasier. Best and worst episodes?

Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know there are a fair few Frasier fans on DS so I am really curious to know which episodes you thought were great, and which you felt did a disservice to the series.

My favourite episode is My Coffee With Niles, while my least favourite is Some Assembly Required.

There are many other great episodes I like too but it would be a bit much to list them all. Overall the show had so many flawless episodes like Moondance or Ham Radio, but every now and then it would let out a stinker like The Friend or The 1000th Show.

Comments

• Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved Moondance. Daphne was gorgeous in that red dress, and THOSE LEGS !!

I can't pinpoint the actual episode I really didn't like, but every episode with Daphnes' family in were atrocious
  • MissDexterMissDexter Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best: The Two Mrs Cranes (even with the awful English accent'd ex-boyfriend)

Worst: Freudian Dream I think it was called, awful.
  • agrainofsandagrainofsand Posts: 8,693
    Forum Member
    Lots of favourites.

Loved the episode where Maris has had an affair and Niles duels the man - I love the line 'he probably performed his own ceasarian!'

The one where Frasier performs an old school radio play is great too - loved Frasier patronizing the pro actor 'perhaps they don't have quite the same standards as me' (he said something like that, forget the exact wording).

The episode where Frasier is composing a new theme song - 'ah yes, but if less is more then imagine how much more more will be'.

As for weak episodes - the episodes with Daphne's family were pretty awful. I can remember one where Daphne's Mum and a little boy were pranking each other which was particularly bad.

I can think of lots more good episodes.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MissDexter wrote: »
    Best: The Two Mrs Cranes (even with the awful English accent'd ex-boyfriend)

Worst: Freudian Dream I think it was called, awful.

It's a shame the actor who played Clive couldn't act for toffee but The Two Mrs Cranes is still hilarious.

Freudian Sleep it was called. :) Yes, it's awful. Horribly self-indulgent and just doesn't work as a Frasier episode. John Mahoney's song and dance sequence is particularly embarrassing but the whole episode is a travesty.
  • KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lots of favourites.

Loved the episode where Maris has had an affair and Niles duels the man - I love the line 'he probably performed his own ceasarian!'

The one where Frasier performs an old school radio play is great too - loved Frasier patronizing the pro actor 'perhaps they don't have quite the same standards as me' (he said something like that, forget the exact wording).

The episode where Frasier is composing a new theme song - 'ah yes, but if less is more then imagine how much more more will be'.As for weak episodes - the episodes with Daphne's family were pretty awful. I can remember one where Daphne's Mum and a little boy were pranking each other which was particularly bad.

I can think of lots more good episodes.

This is my favourite one too :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a coincidence this topic coming up as I've just been rewatching Frasier again. Have only rewatched Series 1-5 so far but out of those I've seen so far, I'd say these were the best (classics)

The Good Son, Oops, And the Whimper Is, Travels with Martin, The Matchmaker, Flour Child, Duke, we Hardly Knew Ye, Seat of Power, Roz in the Doghouse, Someone to watch over me, Breaking the Ice, Kisses Sweeter than Wine, Moon Dancee, A word to the wise guy, Chess Pains, the two Mrs Cranes, Love bites Dog, Head Games, Mixed Doubles, Our Father who Art Ain't Heaven, To Kill a Talking Bird, The Unnatural, Frasier's Imaginery Friend.

I'd say the ones With Bebe and Kate were probably the worst.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daphne's 'brothers from Manchester' (played by a Scot and a South of England/Swazi - neither could do a Manchester accent and worst of all an American from Australia trying to do a Dick Van Dyke Cockney) ruined the end of Frasier for me.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daphne's 'brothers from Manchester' (played by a Scot and a South of England/Swazi - neither could do a Manchester accent and worst of all an American from Australia trying to do a Dick Van Dyke Cockney) ruined the end of Frasier for me.

Totally agree.

One of my favourites was when Martin pretends to be gay and Niles is his boyfriend.
    Also the radio play one
  • aero63aero63 Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    Totally agree.

One of my favourites was when Martin pretends to be gay and Niles is his boyfriend.
    Also the radio play one

Loved the radio play episode - 'multiple murderer.'

And agree re Daphne's family, completely spoiled it.
  • EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the one where it's split into three separate scenes for Valentine's day. Niles is getting ready to go out from Frasier's place and decided his trousers need to be pressed.
    Not a word spoken throughout. :D
    Cracks me up every time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    I love the one where it's split into three separate scenes for Valentine's day. Niles is getting ready to go out from Frasier's place and decided his trousers need to be pressed.
    Not a word spoken throughout. :D
    Cracks me up every time

Genius
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always thought Simon Moon was rather amusing.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're Playing Our Song is one that really captured the Frasier character and one of my favourites

Frasier Grinch for the line 'Yes - the Cranes of Maine have got your Living Brain!'

Worst episode - I didn't really like the 'And the Dish Ran Away With The Spoon' episodes
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, from 1999, here's a list of the cast's favourite episodes

Kelsey Grammer - Our Father Whose Art Ain't Heaven
    David Hyde Pierce - First Date
    Jane Leeves - Moon Dance
    John Mahoney - Travels With Martin
    Peri Gilpin - The Kid
    Dan Butler - Ham Radio
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member

I stopped watching when he was in it :mad: Worse accent I have heard !
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite episode is My Coffee With Niles, while my least favourite is Some Assembly Required.

There are many other great episodes I like too but it would be a bit much to list them all. Overall the show had so many flawless episodes like Moondance or Ham Radio, but every now and then it would let out a stinker like The Friend or The 1000th Show.
    As much as I love Frasier, it would be great if you and some other posters can give a little summary of it for people like me who don't know the title of the episodes! :D I see some posters do, which is great. :)

Love the episodes where:
    Roz meets the prospective grandparents of her baby - love the part when Frasier couldn't hold the laughter anymore and has to run into the kitchen!;
    Frasier begins working with 'Dr Mary';
    Frasier, Niles, Martin, Daphne and Daphne's friend so that log cabin;
    Frasier's boss thinks he's gay when Frasier's trying to set him up with Daphne;
    Martin starts work as a security guard, kisses his two sons before starting his first shift;
    A Jewish woman sets him up with her daughter Faye.

Worst ones... got to think hard about that ... probably the one where Daphne seeks out one of Niles' patients after learning that they may fancy him. The point that annoys me is where she clearly is in the wrong but yet turns the blame on Niles!
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best: Radio Ham and the Ski Lodge one

Worst: Hmmm I agree the Daphne relatives eps were rather rubbish.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Worst episodes are those with Daphne's family and the ones where the actress is pregnant but they pretend the character has put on weight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worst episodes are those with Daphne's family and the ones where the actress is pregnant but they pretend the character has put on weight.

Yes pretending Daphne had merely put on weight was very lame.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really liked the idea of Daphne and Niles getting together but it really ran out of steam after that. I did like the one with the Halloween party where Niles dressed up as Martin and Daphne was Elton John and Martin was telling the neighbour kids that Old Man Crane eats your brain and then they see Frasier trying to dislodge Niles' wig at the end
  • MinnimoMinnimo Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    I didn't like the way the character of Daphne changed after her and Niles got together.

Fav would be the 3 valentines for the first scene with Niles.
    Also, the one with the radio play. I still mimic Roz trying to say multiple murdererer (admittedly goes better when drunk! Lol).
    Another one I like is when they all dress as their heroes and Niles says how he and Frasier have thought Martin felt about them, but Martin's comeback was very thoughtful.
    I have to admit when Frasier is alone with Eddie the dog, some good scenes there. Reminds me of how my dad used to be with our dog when he thought no one was watching.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all for now.

Oh yes! When Roz has to visit her family and they all run her down in the way families do, and Frasier comes up to pretend to be her partner. Some sweet scenes in that.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    I always thought Simon Moon was rather amusing.

I liked Simon, and Daphne's father was okay as well since he only appeared in a couple of episodes and was used well by the writers.

Gertrude was dire and really brought the show down though. She just didn't work - neither the character nor the actress. She just did not "fit in" with the overall tone of Frasier at all and not in any way that made sense for the show...it was just a major fail on the producers part to bring her in like they did. Is Millicent Martin always such an awful actress?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Ham Radio. I love the way Frasier really winds up Niles to the point he sabotages the play.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,569
    Forum Member
    I loved the two parter Shut Out in Seattle where Niles is the only one not part of a couple then starts a fling with the nutty waitress at the Cafe Nervosa :D

I can't think of a specific 'worst' episode, but I couldn't stand Daphne's family either!
  • Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Simon, and Daphne's father was okay as well since he only appeared in a couple of episodes and was used well by the writers.

Gertrude was dire and really brought the show down though. She just didn't work - neither the character nor the actress. She just did not "fit in" with the overall tone of Frasier at all and not in any way that made sense for the show...it was just a major fail on the producers part to bring her in like they did. Is Millicent Martin always such an awful actress?

Yes she is