Sports Personality of the Year! Grrrr..

mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
Forum Member
✭✭
Sports "Personality" of the Year

5 Live and the BBC in general have done it to death. Basically promoting their own show for ages and even this morning Rachel was at the aftermath!

It is such a contrived meaningless award I would be happy if they got shut of it altogether. It's not as if we have not celebrated their successes already (and rightly so) ad-nauseum. How can you compare sport success like that? Especially the great sport year we have had in the UK.

::growl:: :mad:

Comments

• LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh calm down. At least they aren't talking about their usual obsessions of I'm A Celebrity, X Factor or Strictly.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was almost as though every single BBC employee had been ordered to talk about SPOTY in every show across all the networks

They were talking about it on TMS from India whilst the Test Match was on...................they were talking about it during commentary on the sunday football match

I did get fed up with it...............
  • PastificioPastificio Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    mychmose wrote: »
    Sports "Personality" of the Year

5 Live and the BBC in general have done it to death. Basically promoting their own show for ages and even this morning Rachel was at the aftermath!

It is such a contrived meaningless award I would be happy if they got shut of it altogether. It's not as if we have not celebrated their successes already (and rightly so) ad-nauseum. How can you compare sport success like that? Especially the great sport year we have had in the UK.

::growl:: :mad:

Agree. Total overkill. The Beeb just loves navel-gazing :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »

They were talking about it on TMS from India whilst the Test Match was on...................they were talking about it during commentary on the sunday football match

Err, that's like saying its ridiculous for film critics to talk about the Oscars!

Sport doesn't have any other major award ceremony as a collective. These people and listeners are sport enthusiasts, ipso facto, they have interest in SPOTY
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Exactly. I'm no huge sports fan but for once, in 2012, there's been lots to celebrate. Last night was a chance to do that, and some of the winners have been doing interviews today.

I'd much rather hear that than constant references to the Jingle Bell Ball.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do like John Inverdale but he did annoy me when he said that SPOTY is much better than it was 15 years ago. Firstly it isn't for him to decide that. Secondly it may be bigger but certainly not better.
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    I do like John Inverdale but he did annoy me when he said that SPOTY is much better than it was 15 years ago. Firstly it isn't for him to decide that. Secondly it may be bigger but certainly not better.

Nor is it for you or I to "decide". It's called having an opinion. My own opinon is that the arena style show was OTT, but justified given the huge Olympic year we've had. I think it's also evolved to appeal to a much wider audience, with a populist agenda- which is exactly what BBC One should be doing on a Sunday evening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nor is it for you or I to "decide". It's called having an opinion. My own opinon is that the arena style show was OTT, but justified given the huge Olympic year we've had. I think it's also evolved to appeal to a much wider audience, with a populist agenda- which is exactly what BBC One should be doing on a Sunday evening.

Sorry, I can't agree on any of that. He is obviously not going to say that it's a worse show live on the BBC. We can have a much more neutral opinion than him. The only reason he gave for it being better is the fact it is 'bigger'. I can give loads of reasons why it has deteriorated...

The hall is too big. You don't get the atmosphere coming through. You can't pick out the sports people in the audience.

The presenters are not as good. Gary Lineker is not in the league of Des Lynam or Steve Ryder.

The humour has gone. We used to get some lovely light touches.

There is no sport shown in the programme. We just get dramatic montages which don't actually show anything.

The show is based too much on the winner rather than this being the end point. Therefore too much time is wasted on going through the candidates and giving out phone numbers.

It is being based on an X Factor type show with pop music blaring out, performers and even smoke on the stage!

All minor sports are totally forgotten. Nothing on sports such as bowls and snooker and a few seconds on cricket/rugby league.

2 people are needed to present awards. Why?

3 hours were needed to get in less than they used to get in 2 hours. Too long.

Fianlly I must say that you are obviously not a sports fan if you are in favour of this type of show over a proper sports programme.
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gary Lineker has about as much charisma as a shoe box. No, in fact that's doing a disservice to shoe boxes. He's the biggest waste of money in the Beeb's accounts.

As for Inverdale, if he was chocolate he'd eat himself.

Great year for sport though and probably right that they had a big arena 'do' to celebrate.
    Forum Member
    Mrs Mills wrote: »

Fianlly I must say that you are obviously not a sports fan if you are in favour of this type of show over a proper sports programme.

Not sure why you "must" say that as I'd already said it pretty clearly in my previous post.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure why you "must" say that as I'd already said it pretty clearly in my previous post.

You said that you were not a huge sports fan.