Options

Have you ever been fired? and Why

2»

Comments

• Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Only once, from a part-time job at University. I got into a fight with the line-manager. No big deal really, it was only a crappy cash-in-hand job in a frozen food warehouse anyway.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KJ44 wrote: »
    That's better than my attempt. Very good!

To be fair it was your post that gave me the inspiration, so we'll go 50/50 on that one :)
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    I haven't, but I was once told I was psychologically unstable in a performance review. I won't bore DS with why I was a tad stressed at the time. The boss being a coward worked out in my favour. I served revenge cold. :D
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was fired from a job because the till was always down by loads on certain days. Just so happened to be on the days I was working with a particular person but me being me, doubted myself even though I would check things to the point of being ocd. I got fired for gross misconduct and the person I was working with was made manager. They were in prison eighteen months later and featured in our local newspaper for robbing the place blind for years.
  • Options
    Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Once, for throwing a stick into a tree in the car park to knock some cookers down.

It was only an agench job though.

Bit harsh, I thought as it was break time.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Once, for throwing a stick into a tree in the car park to knock some cookers down.

It was only an agench job though.

Bit harsh, I thought as it was break time.

Cookers can cause a fair bit of damage though, especially when falling from a tree:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    I was fired from a job because the till was always down by loads on certain days. Just so happened to be on the days I was working with a particular person but me being me, doubted myself even though I would check things to the point of being ocd. I got fired for gross misconduct and the person I was working with was made manager. They were in prison eighteen months later and featured in our local newspaper for robbing the place blind for years.

Did you get an apology?
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been fired twice. The first time I had to work a night shift on a friday night and my friends had invited me on a night out so I called in sick and pictures of me on my night out were posted on Facebook and I was grassed up by a workmate I forgot I had added on there. The second time I got really annoyed by my line manager who was an absolute prick and I walked out of the factory I worked at.
  • Options
    PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How did they get there:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I haven't. Employers have let me go because I did not make enough sales as a student when I did telesales. It is an unenviable job as if you are like me and you accept no as an answer from someone who genuinely doesn't want something, then you sadly don't last very long. Your supervisor soon gets onto you about counteracting their objections and finding out why. If someone were to call me and sell me a phone, I would refuse. No one could convince me otherwise.
  • Options
    karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    Did you get an apology?

Course I bloody didn't :D put me right off retail though.
  • Options
    Contains NutsContains Nuts Posts: 2,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few times when I was a teenager including getting the boot on Xmas Eve for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    HieronymousHieronymous Posts: 7,290
    Forum Member
    I once had a job in a retail store. One day a rather attractive lady came in and asked me where she could get felt.

It was a mistake anyone could make!!!
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    I was fired from an o2 call centre for making an old lady cry 10 years or so ago. I hated my job and she deserved it, so whatever.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was fired from my first job at the stock exchange. Was so not for me being meek and mild - I hates it and ended up going to Uni
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never fired, but was given a final written warning in a sales job once because I buggered up a big contract by faxing our cost-price to a client without our mark-up on it. I handed my notice in a few weeks later, because the boss was giving me stick, and wouldn't let me forget my mistake. I thought it would be better to just leave.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Accidently boned a yound lady that came to the McDonalds I was working at, unbemonsted to me she was the managers daughter. He had to be held back whilst I quickly sorted myself out and scarpered. (Was fired of course...!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been fired from agency work a few times, mostly because I wasn't working fast enough for them.
    One time many years ago was my fault, I skipped work to go to the pub with a mate I hadn't seen much of lately. Got a call asking me not to go back, think I was taken off the agency's books as well. Wasn't too bothered as it was just before Christmas and I'd already got enough money.
    Ended up in a permanent job pretty much straight after that same Christmas...except the company was dodgy, lost their main contract and I was made redundant after just 4 months.

The move to my current job from my last was a case of jumping before I was pushed too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Accidently boned a yound lady that came to the McDonalds I was working at, unbemonsted to me she was the managers daughter. He had to be held back whilst I quickly sorted myself out and scarpered. (Was fired of course...!)

This deserves the full tale!
  • Options
    riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    No I haven't. Employers have let me go because I did not make enough sales as a student when I did telesales. It is an unenviable job as if you are like me and you accept no as an answer from someone who genuinely doesn't want something, then you sadly don't last very long. Your supervisor soon gets onto you about counteracting their objections and finding out why. If someone were to call me and sell me a phone, I would refuse. No one could convince me otherwise.

I hate the sort of cretinous sales manager who doesn't accept that perhaps some people don't want certain articles, or that certain articles are crap, but instead, it's YOU and your 'lack of hunger' for success.

I was made redundant last year, but I was sacked, many many years ago by London Underground for humiliating my manager in front of Management Team when she slagged me off there. I got offered a sum of money to go quietly. It was during my year off between Uni and Postgrad, and I got a job at the DSS I was signing on at 3 weeks later so swings and roundabouts an' all that
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I've had three jobs and have only voluntarily left one of them. The first time I was 'fired' was after I had been ill for a week and when I went back they had replaced me. :confused: The second time was very hurtful. I had been in the position for over a year and they just came up to me out of the blue one day and told me that they didn't want me to carry on working there but didn't tell me the reason why. I still had to work a 6 week notice period and I was still kept in the dark as to why I was being laid off and was made to feel like I had done something wrong. On my last day no one even aknowledged that I was leaving or said goodbye apart from a couple of parents at the end of the day. It was a horrible way to end what had previously been a job I loved and thought I was good at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A few times when I was a teenager including getting the boot on Xmas Eve for no apparent reason.

I got the boot from my last job the day before mt birthday so that made it doubly horrible so I feel for you. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No I haven't.

I'm guessing by your username that you're only 16/17 so there is plenty of time yet. :p
  • Options
    quiniequinie Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, about 14 years ago.

Had a stupid, drunken one night stand with my boss. He coudln't get rid of me quick enough after that - think he was afraid his pregnant wife was more likely to find out if I was still there.

He was influencial and quite high up at work so he made up a load of rubbish about me. I got one written warning and was then asked to leave.

I work in employment now and only now do I realise how out of order they were - he made sure I got a bad reference too.

On my last day I confessed to the personnel manager that I had slept with him and did she think this was why. She said that "off the record" she would have said yes!!

Not my finest hour - plus how crap in bed must I be to get fired after that!!! :)