Worst Ever Place You Have Been To On Holiday.

guttridgeguttridge Posts: 1,884
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Worst ever holiday? Place you wish you never ever went to? Or was not what you throught the place was going to be like. EG rip off too much money. Or weather was really bad.

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    four days in the lake district, in a tent, in torrential rain, normally my idea of bliss but slightly tainted by the water coming in through the groundsheet of the floating [yes, floating] tent.

if it had only ended there.
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Butlins Minehead as a kid in the 70's it was a rat infested prison camp looky likey and we all fell ill from there food for 5 days.

Thanks Billy.
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everywhere which included my Grandfather & Stepfather.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Turkey without a shadow of a doubt.
    "Ve like your vimin"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    No offence to the people who live there now but I went to Weston-super-Mare in the 70's in my late teens with a friend and it was grim.
    It rained constantly, No sunbathing, no boys to chat up and not much to do there.
    We returned to find we were locked out of the B&B at 10.30 pm with all the lights turned off and no one was answering the door.
    Eventually the neighbour came out of his house and told us that the landlady was out for the whole night and had left her son in charge and he was drunk as a skunk.
    The neighbour and his wife allowed us to sleep in their spare bedroom. A huge risk taken by them but we were extremely grateful.
    It took the whole of the next day before the landlady returned to get into the B&B to get our stuff back and leave. We didn't have to pay the bill and she apologised for her son.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Canberra, the most boring place in the world. Only created because Sydney & Melbourne couldn't stop bitching over who should be capital.
  • PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackpool
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paris .
    Dirty place full of rude French people and a large amount of dog poo .
    Eiffel Tower plagued by beggars . Rip off prices .
    Never again will I set foot in that toilet of a place .
    Sacre Bleur :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    klendathu wrote: »
    Paris .
    Dirty place full of rude French people and a large amount of dog poo .
    Eiffel Tower plagued by beggars . Rip off prices .
    Never again will I set foot in that toilet of a place .
    Sacre Bleur :eek:
    Yes yes yes.
    That was exactly my gripe with Paris too. Why don't they do somethiong about those wretched beggars and trash salesmen under the Eiffel tower? As for the dog poo it was everywhere.
    And apart from the escalators the Pompidou Centre once inside it was an expensive dull tacky rip off.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tunisia
  • blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    Kos

People were lovely but the food was awful, I was sick 11 out of the 14 days ( and I have a cast iron constitution!) .
    Place was absolutely filthy, beaches non existent and everywhere looked like an abandoned building site.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Got to agree with pocketrocket
    Blackpool. Its just not a nice place.

Also it wasn't the worst place but we went to Bulgaria in 2011 my husband and 3 of our girls all early teens. It wasn't what I expected. We walked past a few bars a man was standing out side and said pizza for the ladies lap dance for the man. Lol. We were like . . . What lol
    Its a very seedy place not what we were expecting
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Cairo. Dirty, dusty, smelly, mad drivers and felt unsafe when we were walking around non-tourist areas (not helped by coming across a man's corpse slumped in a doorway!)
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Tenerife.

It was actually a pretty good holiday if you like "lying by the pool" sort of holidays but I found it ridiculously expensive and, aside from a couple of tourist towns, the whole place was a barren wasteland so there wasn't much to do.

I guess I was a bit spoiled cos my parents always used to holiday in non-touristy parts of Spain which was dirt-cheap and had superb public beaches so it really hacked me off to go somewhere that I had to pay to get onto a beach and where a meal cost £30-odd and the only thing to do was to attend paid "events".
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rikstan87 wrote: »
    Tunisia

Agreed.

I also hated the South of France but I think that was more to do with the fact I was really ill and stuck in a tent than the place!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    I didn't actually stay in Benidorm but we travelled from our villa for a day out there and it was just tacky beyond words. Little Britain in the sun. Fine if that's what you seek in a foreign land but I just didn't see the appeal in it myself. The beach was huge though and well maintained.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    India. A beautiful place with some amazing scenery, step out of the touristy areas though and you see the absolute squalor and filth the majority of the population live in.

For those on here who complain about the supposed poverty and slavery over here. I suggest you take a trip. I'm pretty sure 99% of them would swap with you and happily pay for an under occupied bedroom, rather than sleep with 9 other people in a tin shack.
  • Mr CynicMr Cynic Posts: 5,435
    Forum Member
    guttridge wrote: »
    Worst ever holiday? Place you wish you never ever went to? Or was not what you throught the place was going to be like. EG rip off too much money. Or weather was really bad.

Austria, fell badly and dislocated my left shoulder on day two, spend day three in my room in plaster and just wanting to go home, day four I was able to go home, and never want to go back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    Kavos!!!! Dirty, smelly, grotty pubs. Mind u that was 10 years ago, it might have changed
  • housegirlhousegirl Posts: 6,017
    Forum Member
    Funchal in Madeira there were beggars everywhere
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackpool. Was so disgusted with the place we left on day 2 and went to Rhyl.
  • mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Absolute worst was Welsh coast, mainly because we were camping and it pissed down for three days, water was getting into the tent and with the strong winds we ended up binning the whole thing by the end because it was trashed (and it started off as a half decent three bedroom tent!).

Morocco because of the incessant people trying to sell you stuff you don't want, also it was not long after 9/11 so there were hardly any tourists there and it felt quite oppressive, barely saw any local women out etc. Got ripped off in the souk buying some mirrors as presents, when they packed them up for me they left out half. Generally hated the food as well and how everyone just wants to sell you things constantly.

Greece wasn't great either, found it mostly half built, the men were all pervy, plumbing awful. Lost half a stone in a week because I didn't like the food.
  • GoobyGooby Posts: 1,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A cheap all inclusive in Hurghada Egypt. You definitely get what you pay for. Air conditioning barely worked and food made us ill the whole time we were there. You had to get up at 6am to put your towel on a sunbed otherwise you had nowhere to go, the place was heaving so not enough to go round.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The isle of Sheppey, my mum had a chalet there :/
  • PopRocketPopRocket Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrsbadger wrote: »
    Got to agree with pocketrocket
    Blackpool. Its just not a nice place.

Also it wasn't the worst place but we went to Bulgaria in 2011 my husband and 3 of our girls all early teens. It wasn't what I expected. We walked past a few bars a man was standing out side and said pizza for the ladies lap dance for the man. Lol. We were like . . . What lol
    Its a very seedy place not what we were expecting

PopRocket :p