Keepvid.flv and .webm Youtube

I tried 360p .flv and 240p .flv , both were going to take over an hour whereas 360p .webm took a lot less, actually 5 minutes.

I don't do much downloading and I've not noticed webm before, always used .flv without any problems.

Any reason for this slow down with flv ??

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Webm is new.

I don't know why the flv files would take so long. But obviously youtube know how fast you need the file. There is no reason to let you have it any faster than that.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Thanks flagpole, the webm file was the biggest of the three but downloaded quickly. The video was 2 hours 24 mins long so 5 mins was good, I seem to remember .flv used to download as fast .... maybe something wrong on Keepvid.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Webm's a good codec. And if it's a big file it should be good quality.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've noticed YT being a bit slow recently....they've probably cottoned onto people downloading stuff so when you pulled down a .flv file it saw that and said well you only need x bytes/sec to watch it so why waste more bandwidth but the webm file isn't yet seen as a download rather than viewing so is sneaking past the filter
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    Webm's a good codec. And if it's a big file it should be good quality.

Yes the quality is good if not a bit better (if thats possible) on VLC than watching on Youtube.
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    I've noticed YT being a bit slow recently....they've probably cottoned onto people downloading stuff so when you pulled down a .flv file it saw that and said well you only need x bytes/sec to watch it so why waste more bandwidth but the webm file isn't yet seen as a download rather than viewing so is sneaking past the filter

That would explain a lot :).