EE - Anyone here who hasnt warmed to new Lucy?

O-JO-J Posts: 18,807
Forum Member
✭✭
In my opinion, she was Kirkwoods mess, I warmed to new Ben, new Peter by LN, but I just can't warm to her, when ever she talks it feels like she is annoyed, she has no chemisty with her twin anymore, I havent yet seen a bond between these two yet, I'm sure Melissa is the better actress, and I'm sure she would have bonded with Ben Hardy's Peter!
Same as Lauren, Mels Lucy was really close to Lauren!
Mel had better chemestry with Ian!

Comments

• KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been two years and I haven't warmed to her either.

I think New Lucy just isn't working.
  • pumpkinlattes33pumpkinlattes33 Posts: 8,326
    Forum Member
    Yeah I much preferred Melissa as Lucy. The script writers have completely changed Lucy's character since Hetti took over too.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cue "dem legs" in 3...2...1... :D

She isn't working for me. Pretty girl, but she doesn't feel like Lucy Beale to me. Contrast that to the Lauren recast: like her or loathe her, she's took ownership of the role.
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much prefer the ballsier Old Lucy. The New Lucy doesn't seem to really inhabit the role imo.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    J-B wrote: »

She isn't working for me. Pretty girl, but she doesn't feel like Lucy Beale to me. Contrast that to the Lauren recast: like her or loathe her, she's took ownership of the role.

Excatly, with Joshes Ben, he made Ben, and Ben Hardy is Peter Beale,
    Hetti is not Lucy! Mel is!
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer Hetti
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J-B wrote: »

Agreed but the difference with Lauren is that she wasn't really an established character. Therefore Jac Jossa didn't really have to fill anyones boots. It was far easier to own a role when it was pretty much a blank canvas.

Melissa however made that role her own. Love or loath the actress, she put a stamp on the character. Every one knew who Lucy Beale was. However now, as you say, she's has done a complete 180. There was no traits of Lucy Beale there at all. It feels like a new actress has come in and playing a daughter that Ian never knew he had. She just happens to go by the name of Lucy too.
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanMandy wrote: »
    I prefer Hetti

Me too, I know I'm a minority but I think shes much better as Lucy.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer Hetti

The old Lucy just used to smirk all the time.
  • MindbearMindbear Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw the old Lucy, well, the actress, quite recently. She looked really really unhappy, put on quite a bit of weight, not that she looked bad with it. It reminded me how great she was in the role, and how AWFUL this current one is. She just isn't right, she doesn't make sense in the role, her style, and the way she delivers lines, she comes cross as pathetic whereas old Lucy was messed up, but you believed in her energy. Bad choice of casting.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I think the proof is in people still saying new lucy, Lauren was just Lauren by this time after her recast, Not still called new lauren.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I can't take to her, she feels more like a random character than part of Ian's family.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    Agreed but the difference with Lauren is that she wasn't really an established character. Therefore Jac Jossa didn't really have to fill anyones boots. It was far easier to own a role when it was pretty much a blank canvas.

Melissa however made that role her own. Love or loath the actress, she put a stamp on the character. Every one knew who Lucy Beale was. However now, as you say, she's has done a complete 180. There was no traits of Lucy Beale there at all. It feels like a new actress has come in and playing a daughter that Ian never knew he had. She just happens to go by the name of Lucy too.

she still has that bitchy mean streak to her but she also has a soft nicer side to her too, she a much more 3 dimensional character than the old one, and a better actress too.

bib new Lauren, New Ben were absolutely nothing like thier original counterparts either. ESPECIALLY BEN:confused:
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she needs to go off to Devon for a while for a change of heads.

Let Cindy Jr. fill the 'young female Beale(ish)' role whilst she's gone - I think Mimi Keene has an awful lot of potential.
  • superstar111superstar111 Posts: 18,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Melissa had the advantage in that she had decent material to work with! Unfortunately for Hetti the writing has been dire. She's a perfectly capable actress and I prefer her to the wooden Melissa.
  • SalomeSalome Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Much prefer the ballsier Old Lucy. The New Lucy doesn't seem to really inhabit the role imo.

Same for me.
    New Lucy comes across as vacant and makes me switch off (I call it the Keira Knightley effect because the actress never fails to induce a kind of indifference in me)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hetty100 wrote: »
    she still has that bitchy mean streak to her but she also has a soft nicer side to her too, she a much more 3 dimensional character than the old one, and a better actress too.
    The problem is that she doesn't do it with any conviction. It's just not convincing. I thought she behaved awfully towards Ian when he was sick and I think it's fair to say old Lucy would have behaved this way too. I can get behind that but I am convinced Mel Lucy would have done it SO much better. We have to disagree that she's the better actress. She constantly looks like she's scared out of her wits.

She may be more 3D than Mel Lucy but the actress lacks the ability to make the audience empathise with her. She has no screen presence while Melissa did, even if she wasn't particularly a strong actress.

You're right new Ben was nothing like old Ben but Charlie Jones never made much impact in the role. It was easier to accept his change in persona.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melissa had the advantage in that she had decent material to work with! Unfortunately for Hetti the writing has been dire. She's a perfectly capable actress and I prefer her to the wooden Melissa.

you do kind of have a point there, everyones got to bear in mind that they have had 2 of the most god awful EP during the time Hetti took over.
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 79,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. Especially your final point, in bold. She was distinctly average, at best.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Old Lucy was better. More catty, more fiesty -- believable panto bitch.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant take to her either much preferred old Lucy
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KatrinaK wrote: »
    The problem is that she doesn't do it with any conviction. It's just not convincing. I thought she behaved awfully towards Ian when he was sick and I think it's fair to say old Lucy would have behaved this way too. I can get behind that but I am convinced Mel Lucy would have done it SO much better. We have to disagree that she's the better actress. She constantly looks like she's scared out of her wits.

She may be more 3D than Mel Lucy but the actress lacks the ability to make the audience empathise with her. She has no screen presence while Melissa did, even if she wasn't particularly a strong actress.

You're right new Ben was nothing like old Ben but Charlie Jones never made much impact in the role. It was easier to accept his change in persona.

I suppose we do have to agree to disagree( witch ids kinda sad we have never disagreed on anything before Katrina:() tbh out of all the recasts she probably had the most difficult shoes to fill, It was never gonna be easy.

bib thats not true, he the funniest thing in the show (you need slappin down:D) classic:cool:
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hetty100 wrote: »
    I suppose we do have to agree to disagree( witch ids kinda sad we have never disagreed on anything before Katrina:() tbh out of all the recasts she probably had the most difficult shoes to fill, It was never gonna be easy.

bib thats not true, he the funniest thing in the show (you need slappin down:D) classic:cool:

Ben had a tough life though, bound to be messed up!

Watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1jjJ7C4foc
  • Cosmic GiftedCosmic Gifted Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think Melissa played the character better. The current actress plays her too cold and distant.
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I prefer Hetti's Lucy to Melissa Suffield's.