BT Sports 1 & 2 to close on June 30th 2014.Leaving Space for two new 24/7 channels.

tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BT Vision to close this summer.

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/04/bt-vision-to-close-this-summer.html

Sony movie & Sony movie +1 could get the hours as the LCN are next to each other.

What do members think?

Comments

• RaymondthebestRaymondthebest Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I think itv be or chartshow tv or itv3+1 to get slots
  • tomeetomee Posts: 2,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think itv be or chartshow tv or itv3+1 to get slots

ITV already have holding LCN further up the EPG.Can't see them dropping down the EPG ITVbe will get one of the higher LCN i would guess.

Chart show tv might get one of the slots if it don't take the BONANZABONANZA Local TV slot.
  • RaymondthebestRaymondthebest Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I mean itvbe would have 24 hrs a day slots ex bt sport one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean itvbe would have 24 hrs a day slots ex bt sport one

Oh sorry Raymondthebest about that yea you might be right.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I think a516 has got it slightly wrong here. Try this link http://www.seenit.co.uk/bt-to-switch-off-original-bt-vision-service/ this is more accurate.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I want different channels, ITVbe can replace ITV2+1. Also don't want Sony Movie+1 as that is pointless. BT Sport bit rates are higher because it was a pay channel so lets have four channels instead.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how BT Sports are going to offer 'free' viewing to the Champions League and Europa League games without any actual channels on Freeview?

Still annoyed that they've been allowed to literally buy the whole lot up. Shame on you UEFA. >:(
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Via their website I'm guessing or sub letting them to another channel. Website will be the most probably way with people having to enter an email address / contact details before viewing?
  • Rambler80Rambler80 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    I wonder how BT Sports are going to offer 'free' viewing to the Champions League and Europa League games without any actual channels on Freeview?

Still annoyed that they've been allowed to literally buy the whole lot up. Shame on you UEFA. >:(

I wondered that. Also, they are advertising a new BT Youview box on their website. If the vision box is being phased out how will they offer Sky Sports?
    Forum Member
    See post # 6
  • clewsyclewsy Posts: 4,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Out of interest is this why they seem to have enabled copper ADSL multicast in a fair number of exchanges now? Am I right in thinking this enables them to deliver the TV offering over ADSL providing the line is fast enough?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I want football to die. It doesn't deserve all of the support.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chart show tv would be good, although im sure older viewers like my parents would prefer itv3 + 1
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I want different channels, ITVbe can replace ITV2+1. Also don't want Sony Movie+1 as that is pointless. BT Sport bit rates are higher because it was a pay channel so lets have four channels instead.

The bit rates arent higher BT got better quality by making the channels AVC/MPEG 4 as they could only be decoded via BT Vision boxes.
    The bit rates average about 1.9Mbps so BT get a better quality out of it as AVC/MPEG 4 roughly halves what bit rate you need for the same quality, its like having double at MPEG 2 quality!
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They'll probably put it on the BT Sport app. That would be crap IMO but I bet it fulfils the FTA requirement.

The only other option I can see is making the BT Sport channels FTA on satellite when appropriate...but even then, they wouldn't be on the Freesat EPG so that would only help those with enough know-how to add the channels manually. They could also make the channels FTA for any BT/TalkTalk YouView customers who don't have BT Sport but there can't be many of those.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any 2 of Horror TV, Sony TV, Vintage TV, Scuzz, CBS Action would do me.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    They'll probably put it on the BT Sport app. That would be crap IMO but I bet it fulfils the FTA requirement.

The only other option I can see is making the BT Sport channels FTA on satellite when appropriate...but even then, they wouldn't be on the Freesat EPG so that would only help those with enough know-how to add the channels manually. They could also make the channels FTA for any BT/TalkTalk YouView customers who don't have BT Sport but there can't be many of those.
    As indicated earlier, BT Sport on DTT is not ending yet. The thread title is misleading. BT offers BT Vision in silver boxes running on Windows and black boxes running on Linux. It is ending the silver Windows boxes and swapping those users to YouView. The black boxes will continue as will its DTT channels. More info see here http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-vision-total-closure-silver-tv-boxes-shutting-down-in-june_M13054.html
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    clewsy wrote: »
    Via their website I'm guessing or sub letting them to another channel. Website will be the most probably way with people having to enter an email address / contact details before viewing?

BT cannot sublet them.
    They will make the channels on satellite and VM free to view like they do some rugby games..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    As indicated earlier, BT Sport on DTT is not ending yet. The thread title is misleading. BT offers BT Vision in silver boxes running on Windows and black boxes running on Linux. It is ending the silver Windows boxes and swapping those users to YouView. The black boxes will continue as will its DTT channels. More info see here http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-vision-total-closure-silver-tv-boxes-shutting-down-in-june_M13054.html

http://www.a516digital.com/2014/04/bt-vision-to-close-this-summer.html
    It appears to be a further signal indicating the end of BT Sport on the digital terrestrial TV platform, where BT broadcasts BT Sport 1 and 2 solely for the benefit of BT Vision - and not YouView- users.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    1andrew1 wrote: »

This is bizarre. Why get rid of the silver boxes and not the black ones? I assume functionally they are identical? So if the BT Sport streams need to continue for the black boxes, this move doesn't seem to be benefitting anyone. :confused:
    Forum Member
    The BT Vision service was originally launched using Windows software. The software was then changed to Linux. All the Black Vision Box have been upgraded but the older silver boxes were unable to be upgraded. Many of these silver boxes were being used as a PAYG basis as any addition i.e. Sky Sports, IPTV channels require the new Linux software. Hence the "old"/classic/windows version is now to close and owners are being offered a BT Youview Box.
    It was wrongly reported yesterday morning that the whole BT Vision service is closing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So the BT Sports channel will be on the black boxes but IPTV only.Is that right?

The main point is that two 24/7 slots will become available from 1/7/14.

This might also be when the contract expires.As BT stop taking new customer in January this year for the DTT services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-vision-total-closure-silver-tv-boxes-shutting-down-in-june_M13054.html
    The original silver-coloured BT Vision boxes, which provide access to on-demand content and digital terrestrial TV, will not be supported by BT after June 30.
    Forum Member
    No. BT Sports for the majority of customers will be IPTV over Infinity. There are still customers receiving BT Sports over DTT, but BT stopped adding further customers in January this year. I am not aware that these slots are being given up, so they won't be available in the short term.

Stew
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    stewM wrote: »
    Many of these silver boxes were being used as a PAYG basis as any addition i.e. Sky Sports, IPTV channels require the new Linux software.

So the newer BT Vision boxes support live IPTV, but the older ones don't? So the newer ones potentially could take BT Sport over IP?