Options

The Left's War on English Patriotism

Comments

• Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that the same "top British columnist" who actually lives in Florida?;-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Does living in Florida mean that he's no longer British then? who knew....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Does living in Florida mean that he's no longer British then? who knew....

How can the fat, racist windbag possibly know what's really going on in the UK when he lives on the other side of the Atlantic?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a drunken rant
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    How can the fat, racist windbag possibly know what's really going on in the UK when he lives on the other side of the Atlantic?

But the guy loves England so much that he left it the first chance he got.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely love the page header that shows at the top of the browser window

"RICHARD LITTLEJOHN: Makes you ashamed to be British!"

Couldn't put it better myself :)

BTW, let's ditch the false English Nationalism that our erstwhile Norman overlords imposed on us and go back to who we should have been without their endless competition with the rulers of France. White Dragons, Red Backgrounds. No more Three Lions, no more St. George's Cross. A real English identity.
  • Options
    FooxFoox Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    * Floridas
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No he doesn't. Perhaps you are thinking of Stephen Fry or Polly Toynbee - she actually lives in Tuscany. Maybe Coogan and Brydon will pay her a visit (on Friday).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    No he doesn't. Perhaps you are thinking of Stephen Fry or Polly Toynbee - she actually lives in Tuscany. Maybe Coogan and Brydon will pay her a visit (on Friday).
    Stephen Fry lives in Piccadilly, London. Near my office. I see him all the time.
  • Options
    FooxFoox Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

yeah he does

Littlejohn lives for much of the year in the United States
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    It's a drunken rant

Read what he says, and you'll see it's an astute article. Richard has always carried his patriotism lightly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Read what he says, and you'll see it's an astute article. Richard has always carried his patriotism lightly.
    All seems about 30 years out of date to me. Since when has the Union Flag not being flown, for example? It adorns public buildings, hotels, office buildings, and even entire residential streets at times. Does Littlejohn not remember the summer of 2012 at all?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's an entirely different question.... you said that because he lived in Florida he was no longer British, I simply pointed out the fallacy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Justabloke wrote: »
    That's an entirely different question.... you said that because he lived in Florida he was no longer British, I simply pointed out the fallacy.

Really? When did I say that then?:confused:
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    I cannot be arsed to read the article.

Who are "The Left"?
    Who is their leader?
    When did their leader release this declaration of war?
    What form will this war take?
    What is "English Patriotism" and how is it defined?
    Why is he ashamed to be British?
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does littlejohn still have an odd fascination with gays? Almost like part of him is replused, and part is attracted....

That's what I always got from his NoTW articles. And I'm sure it was picked up on in the viz too....
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a surprise, it's the DM saying this.

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he did say a few things I agree with, very few though.

"Politicians appear to hate the people they are elected to represent" being one, but what did make me laugh was "Labour embarked on a path of divide and rule" when the current government has done a bang-up job at creating divisions amongst the people of this nation, in my view.

If he wants people to be proud to be British he's going to have to wait for a government that encourages a sense of community, respect for your fellow countryman be he employed or not, disabled or not, Christian or not, brown or white, rich or poor, rather than one that pits people against each other and encourages division rather than unity.

ETA: The irony is, of course, that he works for a rag that encourages such division.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had to laugh at "I've never been one for jingoism."
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member

Indeed!!!!

"Top columnist", maybe in his wet dreams.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Well he did say a few things I agree with, very few though.

"Politicians appear to hate the people they are elected to represent" being one, but what did make me laugh was "Labour embarked on a path of divide and rule" when the current government has done a bang-up job at creating divisions amongst the people of this nation, in my view.

If he wants people to be proud to be British he's going to have to wait for a government that encourages a sense of community, respect for your fellow countryman be he employed or not, disabled or not, Christian or not, brown or white, rich or poor, rather than one that pits people against each other and encourages division rather than unity.

ETA: The irony is, of course, that he works for a rag that encourages such division.
    Absolutely.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    Patriotism, or rather nationalism in general is damaged by left and right.

The left, because they try to erase it, in favour of continentalism, or internationalism, and the right, because they try to limit it only to people with exclusive traits, such as colour, religion etc...

Littlejohn is too dumb to comprehend these things.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another desperately sad, baity thread from the OP.
  • Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member

PMSL

This post has a minus score for credibility, and that's even before I noticed it was a DM link:D
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did - and it read like a drunken rant