Options

Is this unfair dismissal ??

mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, Sorry this is long, and hope I have explained it clearly.
I'm asking on behalf of my son .
He is 18 years old with ADHD and learning difficulties and attended a special school
He started work with this company approx one year ago.
But he received a letter dated the 1st of May 14 stating ' Following concerns over the quality of your work at during the start of the 2014 we are extending your probationary period ..the initial probationary period was due to finish on 10th May 2014 ,but we will extend this by a further 3 months to 10th August 2014 if we do not see an improvement in your work during this period we may have to take further action, which could include the termination of your contract " ....
Well he finished his shift on the 10th May 2014 at 6pm and was called to the office and told as he had not improved he was dismissed .. No mention that he had in writing letter mentioned above ? He was very confused and came home in tears ..
This position closes during the winter months, staff have to re apply be interviewed and renew their contract)
My son was taken on again this year, being told he did very well last year and took up the same position in the company.
This seems very wrong to me, as leaving he was told no hard feelings, He was devastated and very confused being told in writing he has 3 months to improve, and had already worked at the same position during most of 2013 I will add he had done nothing wrong .... To give any reason to be dismissed on the 10th May without warning.
I would be very grateful for advice please, as this seems very unfair and has taken all his confidence away... Thanks x

Comments

• Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I would give ACAS a call.

To have not outlined to him how to improve and what was unacceptable, and then dismiss him and therefore going back on what they had written does not seem right at all, but I'm no expert and the ACAS people are.
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looks all above board to me i'm afraid.
    he can be dismissed with no reason as he has been employed for under 2 years.

also, why is the ADHD relevant?
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't say whether he was unfairly dismissed - ACAS may be a good start for you:

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=2042

But obvious (to me) questions are: Was he given clear instructions about what he was to do to "improve"? because he needed to know and understand what areas he was perceived to be not meeting requirements and what he could do to bring his work up to standard.

Did anyone work with him to help him achieve the required improvements and over the period, did they give him feedback as to how he was progressing? (Having looked again at the dates, it doesn't sound as if there was time for that).

There may not be anything to be done but understanding where improvement was needed (assuming this extension of the probationary period wasn't just a ploy to give the company a bit of wiggle room for a few weeks while they sorted themselves out) is something to build on for the future.
    chenks wrote: »
    Perhaps to give as clear a picture as possible... and to forestall the usual suspects piping up mid-thread with petty accusations about "drip-feeding" information.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seems unfair - maybe the chap who took the decision to review the employment wasn't aware of the extension. If your son did not tell him ..... (as I am sure he was stunned at the time)

I would ring on your son's behalf (if he is uncertain) and appeal / ask for a review.

I am pretty sure you could attend as a witness

Are the employers a "name" company, or just a small company. A well known company are more likely to know exactly how they should process employees according to the correct rules, I think
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would give ACAS a call.

To have not outlined to him how to improve and what was unacceptable, and then dismiss him and therefore going back on what they had written does not seem right at all, but I'm no expert and the ACAS people are.

Ok thank you, who are ACAS ?
  • Options
    scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    looks all above board to me i'm afraid.
    he can be dismissed with no reason as he has been employed for under 2 years.

It may be very relevant because if he has a disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010 then his employer has a duty to make reasonable adjustments to address any substantial disadvantage he may be at in the workplace due to the ADHD.

OP - I'd advise you or your son to speak to the Equality Advisory Support Service on 0808 800 0082 to discuss whether he may have been discriminated against.

https://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/
  • Options
    chattamanukchattamanuk Posts: 3,397
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seems unfair - maybe the chap who took the decision to review the employment wasn't aware of the extension. If your son did not tell him ..... (as I am sure he was stunned at the time)

I would ring on your son's behalf (if he is uncertain) and appeal / ask for a review.

I am pretty sure you could attend as a witness

Are the employers a "name" company, or just a small company. A well known company are more likely to know exactly how they should process employees according to the correct rules, I think

Thank you,
    it's run by a trust .. Yes stunned was the word he looked blank and very confused I have heard since others are having hours cut too.
    It's not the job going it's how he has been treated and he often worked extra hours without pay to help out. It's telling him he had three months to improve then 10 days later dismissing him without warning and he had only been in for 4 shifts in that time,.. I think that was very unkind and unfair his a good lad now he said he now understands why people don't bother to work,.. Done a lot of damage this has.
    Thanks for advice xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It may be very relevant because if he has a disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010 then his employer has a duty to make reasonable adjustments to address any substantial disadvantage he may be at in the workplace due to the ADHD.

OP - I'd advise you or your son to speak to the Equality Advisory Support Service on 0808 800 0082 to discuss whether he may have been discriminated against.

https://www.equalityadvisoryservice.com/

Ok I will do, thank you for that xx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with the advice given above for contacting the EASS.

It sounds as if things have been handled poorly.

If he was falling below the standards required they should have come up with a written Action Plan detailing the problem areas and what level of improvement was required within a reasonable time scale, also describing any necessary further training and support - to include reasonable adjustments in relation to any recognised disability.

Trusts want cheap labour, and are not necessarily good employers.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    To be honest it doesn't sound like unfair dismissal.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does your son have a social worker? They might offer help and also every Job Centre has a Disability Advisor and I'm sure they'd help. How did your son get the job in the first place? Were the job centre involved or was it a social worker?

Let us know how you both get on.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    He is 18 years old with ADHD and learning difficulties and attended a special school

Did he mention this at his interview?
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    To be honest it doesn't sound like unfair dismissal.

If the lad has learning difficulties it doesn't sound very fair to me. They could have arranged a meeting with him and a family member or social worker to discuss any probs before they wrote to him and suggested ways in which he could have performed better.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    tim59 wrote: »
    So you dont believe a buisness should have to make allowances, because someone has a disability,

Reasonable ones, but nobody can determine whether they have in this instance, and there was still no improvement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he worked their all last year, and they said how well he worked. Even finished his training and achieved well..
    But my main problem with them is on the 1st may they extended in writing his probation period from 10th May until 10th August then dismissed him on the 10th May ? With no warning? So he had no chance to improve ..

He worked there all last year, but as they close 2 months during the winter staff have to re interview and start again .. And they took him on again this January ....
    Be the last time he works for a trust that's for sure,.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Well he worked their all last year, and they said how well he worked. Even finished his training and achieved well..
    But my main problem with them is on the 1st may they extended in writing his probation period from 10th May until 10th August then dismissed him on the 10th May ? With no warning? So he had no chance to improve ..

He worked there all last year, but as they close 2 months during the winter staff have to re interview and start again .. And they took him on again this January ....

Yes, that doesn't sound right at all.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

That bit is a bit harsh, But you can be let go during probation so it is unlikely that it would be something that can be undone, That is the purpose of a probation period. Maybe since May 1st they have decided that there is no way a month will change anything, Or since then things have gotten worse and they decided they are wasting both parties time.

Just all guess work of course
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already made the point, but It struck me that the direct manager may have decided to dispense with the lad on the appropriate date - without knowing of the extension.

If the lad doesn't mind his mum getting involved, maybe it would be easier for her to make representations to the company as a first step. I wouldn't leave it too long, though. I think that would cause less waves for her son, than getting external agencies involved.

It sounded like the manager wasn't pleased to be dismissing the lad anyway, so maybe the organisation is having to cut back a little.

A phone call won't do any harm.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I would ring on your son's behalf (if he is uncertain) and appeal / ask for a review

If my mum had rang my employer to protest something on my behalf when I was 18, I wouldn't have gone back out of utter shame. He's not at school.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kippeh wrote: »
    If my mum had rang my employer to protest something on my behalf when I was 18, I wouldn't have gone back out of utter shame. He's not at school.

That would depend the lad has learning difficulties so it may be appropriate for mum to be involoved i am a Union rep, and in one place i worked we had a green card worker (used for disabled employees in the past) his mum had to be called in for every change.

He may not be at school but if he has a disability he may not be able to cope.

The green cards were done away with as the then government had an ideology about integrating the disabled into the main stream workforce,which does not always pan out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    That bit is a bit harsh, But you can be let go during probation so it is unlikely that it would be something that can be undone, That is the purpose of a probation period. Maybe since May 1st they have decided that there is no way a month will change anything, Or since then things have gotten worse and they decided they are wasting both parties time.

Just all guess work of course

Three months they wrote and said he had to improve. then only gave him 10 days. And he was only working four of those so instead of 3 months to improve he had only four days. Lot of difference as in 3 months he would have had
    time to improve or look for other work .. Waste of time writing to say extending probation time. As they then didn't? That's what I'm cross about. Didn't give him a chance did they...
    And he was doing same job as last year... Without problems.
    I have made enquiry now with links given.
    Thanks to those of you that helped especially as difficult to explain xx
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    We dont know he got the job all by his own doing
    And for the purposes of this thread, we don't need to.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    Agree with the advice given above for contacting the EASS.

It sounds as if things have been handled poorly.

If he was falling below the standards required they should have come up with a written Action Plan detailing the problem areas and what level of improvement was required within a reasonable time scale, also describing any necessary further training and support - to include reasonable adjustments in relation to any recognised disability.

Trusts want cheap labour, and are not necessarily good employers.

Totally agree with the above.

I don't like the way this has been handled. It sounds as though your son was totally misled by the 3 month probationary extension.

Reading between the lines, it sounds like some individual there wanted him out, and put pressure on the person with authority to dismiss.