Options

COM8 running - has PIDs

Comments

• Options
    iiyama17iiyama17 Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm receiving two new audio-only channels from Winter Hill at 800 and 801 respectively labelled 'Test'. They are transmitting audio sweeps and impulse noises. Best not turn the volume up too high!
  • Options
    GreeboGreebo Posts: 1,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iiyama17 wrote: »
    I'm receiving two new audio-only channels from Winter Hill at 800 and 801 respectively labelled 'Test'. They are transmitting audio sweeps and impulse noises. Best not turn the volume up too high!

Interesting, I did wonder if there might be some equipment that finds and adds them. What are you using?

From hacking the data, I can see two services, one called "Test" and the other "Test." - both refer to the same audio and video PID - note the trailing full stop for the second service. The mux data makes no reference to the other Winter Hill muxes and vice versa. I see no LCN information - hence you got 800 and 801 assigned. I also managed to listen to the audio channel - yes - a fast audio sweep, low to high, repeating maybe every couple of seconds. It's not a test tone I've heard before, so wasn't sure I was hearing the real audio, but now you've confirmed it, yes I heard that too.
  • Options
    iiyama17iiyama17 Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm just using my LG smart TV.
  • Options
    jimbojimbo Posts: 16,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it is still on I will try to look for it after the football. If it has a video PID is this blank? Also, if it is TV configured it will be type 01. For Radio it is type 02.

HD would be type 19 (HEX).

Hope that helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    If it is still on I will try to look for it after the football. If it has a video PID is this blank? Also, if it is TV configured it will be type 01. For Radio it is type 02. HD would be type 19 (HEX). Hope that helps.

Types are: 31 (0x1f) and 112 (0x70) - here's the output of dvbsnoop decoding the NIT:
    me@pc:~/tvcard$ dvbsnoop -n 1 -nph 16 -crc
    dvbsnoop V1.4.50 -- http://dvbsnoop.sourceforge.net/ 

------------------------------------------------------------
    SECT-Packet: 00000001   PID: 16 (0x0010), Length: 42 (0x002a)
    Time received: Thu 2014-06-19  21:46:50.524
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    PID:  16 (0x0010)  [= assigned for: DVB Network Information Table (NIT), Stuffing Table (ST)]

Guess table from table id...
    NIT-decoding....
    Table_ID: 64 (0x40)  [= Network Information Table (NIT) - actual network]
    section_syntax_indicator: 1 (0x01)
    reserved_1: 1 (0x01)
    reserved_2: 3 (0x03)
    Section_length: 39 (0x0027)
    Network_ID: 12528 (0x30f0)  [= --> please lookup at http://www.dvb.org]
    reserved_3: 3 (0x03)
    Version_number: 3 (0x03)
    current_next_indicator: 1 (0x01)  [= valid now]
    Section_number: 0 (0x00)
    Last_Section_number: 0 (0x00)
    reserved_4: 15 (0x0f)
    Network_descriptor_length: 6 (0x0006)

DVB-DescriptorTag: 64 (0x40)  [= network_name_descriptor]
            descriptor_length: 4 (0x04)
            Network_name: "Test"  -- Charset: Latin alphabet

reserved_5: 15 (0x0f)
    Transport_stream_loop_length: 20 (0x0014)

Transport_stream_ID: 61440 (0xf000)
        Original_network_ID: 9018 (0x233a)  [= UK Digital Terrestrial Television | Independent Television Commission]
        reserved_1: 15 (0x0f)
        Transport_descriptor_length: 14 (0x000e)

DVB-DescriptorTag: 65 (0x41)  [= service_list_descriptor]
                descriptor_length: 6 (0x06)
                   service_ID: 61440 (0xf000)[ --> refers to PMT program_number]
                   service_type: 31 (0x1f)  [= reserved]

service_ID: 61504 (0xf040)[ --> refers to PMT program_number]
                   service_type: 112 (0x70)  [= reserved]

DVB-DescriptorTag: 127 (0x7f)  [= extension_descriptor]
                descriptor_length: 4 (0x04)
                descriptor_tag_extension: 4 (0x04)
                selector_bytes:
                     0000:  00 f0 f0                                           ...

CRC: 3924446783 (0xe9ea4e3f)
    ==========================================================

• Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    No COM8 detected from Sutton Coldfield, so appears to be a Winter Hill exclusive at the moment.

When I posted about the UHD trials, I did suggest use of the COM8 infrastructure. While some on the forums appear to be getting impatient about COM8 not carrying more HD channels, the powers that be won't have suddenly decided to do UHD tests. Once all COM8 is carrying regular services, it would become more costly to set up a specific test multiplex, and to be able to broadcast that test multiplex at a realistic power in order to properly simulate a normal transmission and reception chain. And without a mad stampede of channels wanting to be added to Freeview HD*, it makes sense to use the ready-to-go infrastructure for some tests.

(* or able to go on Freeview HD due to previously signed and binding distribution agreements with pay TV operators.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 37 on my TV I only get a carrier - no services found.

It looks as if my Panasonic only gets type 1 2 and whateverdata type the data channels are.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    Is Yorkshire part of France now? :confused:

It is on 5/6 July for Le Grand Depart - Stages 1 and 2 of the Tour de France. Excitement reaching fever pitch....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Yorkshire part of France now? :confused:

The Tour de France alternates starting countries, every other year it is somewhere other than France. This year the first two days of riding are in Yorkshire and the third is Cambridge to London.
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    What channel is COMS 8 on from Winter Hill ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    What channel is COMS 8 on from Winter Hill ?

It is on UHF channel 37 - that is 602Mhz.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi.

Has anything changed on this mux or is it the same as yesterda? Can anyone record the bursts of noise so we can actually hear what it sounds like to thosee who can get something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    All I get is 100% signal but no channels or test as of yet...
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congratulations to the person and participants in the most obscure and esoteric (and to most people nonsensical) thread ever to be posted on DS :D
  • Options
    figrin_danfigrin_dan Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the internet :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Congratulations to the person and participants in the most obscure and esoteric (and to most people nonsensical) thread ever to be posted on DS :D

I wouldn't say it was nonsensical - technical yes - but you sometimes need such info to establish what is actually on air.

Without the data listed above we would have no idea what was going on. If there was nothing on the mux, then I wouold agree with you, but usually it is not nothing for long and if you do find a test transmission, some of them can be rather strange to the outside world but all the information is very useful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimbo wrote: »
    Hi.

Has anything changed on this mux or is it the same as yesterda? Can anyone record the bursts of noise so we can actually hear what it sounds like to thosee who can get something?

As far as I can tell, it is running the same now as it was yesterday. It may have been briefly off air at around 15:07 yesterday - or my pc may have had a blip, I wasn't around to confirm anything.
    barbeler wrote: »

Accepted :-) (but one day when you own a UHD TV, please remember this thread...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Might be a daft question, but, when these UHD tests start will we only be able to see them if we have a UHD TV or will we be able to get a down scaled picture on a normal HDTV?
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Phil Owens wrote: »
    Might be a daft question, but, when these UHD tests start will we only be able to see them if we have a UHD TV or will we be able to get a down scaled picture on a normal HDTV?

You won't be able to see them, there's nothing publicly available that will view them (unless you want to mess around with Linux and a DVB tuner)
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You won't be able to see them, there's nothing publicly available that will view them (unless you want to mess around with Linux and a DVB tuner)

Linux and a DVB-T/T2 tuner sounds good if you have it! I wonder if we will see content turning up on you tube?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Linux and a DVB-T/T2 tuner sounds good if you have it! I wonder if we will see content turning up on you tube?

YouTube butchers anything sent to it which is why only still scenes on there look good. Even on a 720p screen, the artifacts in movement are obvious and that's playing at 4K resolution.
  • Options
    jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    It is on UHF channel 37 - that is 602Mhz.

This is the same frequency that Com 8 will be using at Wenvoe, I just checked that frequency via my Icecrypt T2300 HD, but the box found nothing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...but the box found nothing

Detecting signal strength/quality on the mux would still be something - virtually no consumer hardware is going to find any actual channels. We've had one report of iiyama17's unspecified LG tv adding the Test/Test. channels into the 800s as audio only - similar to how the BBC WM hidden radio stream was found by richjj1978's sagem PVR in the 800s before it was added to the EPG.

We've only had reports on here of COM8 being currently broadcast from Winter Hill. I suspect CP is also broadcasting it, since http://en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?liste=1&live=9&lang=en&mux=COM8 is seeing it - but no-one has confirmed it which I find quite surprising given CP's coverage.
  • Options
    kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greebo wrote: »
    I suspect CP is also broadcasting it, since http://en.digitalbitrate.com/dtv.php?liste=1&live=9&lang=en&mux=COM8 is seeing it - but no-one has confirmed it which I find quite surprising given CP's coverage.
    I can confirm that I am getting a strong signal on UHF ch 35 from Crystal Palace.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I can tune this from WH - hearing the audio, no video. Video is 36Mbits. Using Windows.
    Have T2 stick but don't know how to use it on linux. Linux is useless for desktop - nothing works.