Options

The old forum layout

4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I can't even remember what it looked like. I do remember though the bleating that went on. Anyway, have you all got used to the new format now?

Comments

• Options
    rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooooh just you wait for the responses to this. The whole my eyes haven't adjusted and I use this app that makes me see the old forum as before and on and on. Just you wait.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember being very unhappy at the change and I'm sure I'd still like the old style much better. It really was one of those occasions where it appeared to be change for the sake of it and not an improvement at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Spot wrote: »
    I remember being very unhappy at the change and I'm sure I'd still like the old style much better. It really was one of those occasions where it appeared to be change for the sake of it and not an improvement at all.
    That's me too, I did prefer the old layout. But this one is cleaner I suppose, and therefore faster, so it's an improvement in that sense. DS has always gone for simplicity, so that's a plus.
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got used to it, yes. I think I was one of the whingers when it first changed, and I hated the new look. But someone posted a pic the other day of how it used to look and I thought it looked really dated! I still don't like the smilies though, and I wish they'd left them as they were.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looked gash before. Kind of like how Operating Systems looked in 1986.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    on a desktop im fine with the new layout now.
    though i dare not even bother trying to view it on my phone anymore, mainly for fear of huge adverts blocking the screen which appear to be impossible to get rid of
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I've gotten used to the new one, but still much prefer the old colour scheme. if anyone wants a reminder here is what it used to be like...

http://xkcdsw.com/dump/20110706-ds-sshot.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Terry N wrote: »
    Ah yes - the ol' energy-saving bulb threads...:D
  • Options
    LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got used to it, but I also use Stylish to put the blue back because the vast expanse of white was hard on the eyes.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got used to it, but I also use Stylish to put the blue back because the vast expanse of white was hard on the eyes.

How do you cope with reading a newspaper, magazine, or book? :p
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still have massive empty borders on either side of the forum.
  • Options
    Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Still have massive empty borders on either side of the forum.

Is that what it looks like on a wide monitor?
  • Options
    JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Also found the new look hard on the eyes, so downloaded Stylish and used the 'Digital Spy Forums - Retro' style.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry N wrote: »
    Is that what it looks like on a wide monitor?

Yeah, currently running at 3840x2160 and the borders take up more of the screen than the actual forum does.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`m using an old skin.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't post half as much as I used to, still dislike it intensely.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    I can't even remember what it looked like. I do remember though the bleating that went on. Anyway, have you all got used to the new format now?

I remember it. I think the reason why there was complaints about this one in posts was because people might have had their monitor brightness turned up too high (in my opinion). It looks fine to me as far as brightness goes. As it starts getting more and more darker outside, I just knock the brightness further and further down on the monitor. I do have to turn the lamp on eventually though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    At first is was a major problem, with a huge areas of very bright white that was harsh on the eyes, and light grey text for a few days.

But they did listen to some of the complaints, the white borders were replaced with grey, the text went back to black and the forum posts also have a slightly off white background. Much easier on the eyes.

Still a lot of wasted space either side of the forum itself on a widescreen monitor though, but that is undoubtedly for advertising in the future.

And the forum is still completely unusable on most mobile devices due to the huge amount of intrusive advertising that can sometimes be difficult to close.
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I'm more used to it now. Saying that I did prefer the colour before they changed it.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    NX-74205 wrote: »
    Yeah, currently running at 3840x2160 and the borders take up more of the screen than the actual forum does.

I'm at 1920 x 1080 and it's the same for me. Less than half the screen is the actual forum.

Much preferred the old colours.
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't mind the new colours, but the new font made "!" look like "l" so I downloaded Stylish to stay with the old font.
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    I don't post half as much as I used to, still dislike it intensely.
    Me too - and for me it's not just fewer posts, I now often go for days without even visiting at all.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had any problems with the new layout.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss the old layout still. One thing that I find with this colour scheme is that it annoys Mrs P2O more that the old scheme because its so much brighter in the dark when she is next to me in bed. Even with the brightness turned way down!