should animals have human rights too?

yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
Forum Member
i was just watching planet earth and a mummy monkey was cuddling the baby monkey. that picture changed my whole entire mind on humans using animals for what they want, fur or killing them for trees and stuff. animals have feelings too and we humans should not ruin their lives (unless they are becoming pests)

IMO all the animals in the world should have human rights. for eg if someone murders a animal they should face the same jail sentecnes as someone who murdered another human.

should animals have human rights? 142 votes

yes animals should have human rights!! :D
28% 40 votes
no animals should not have human rights :mad:
53% 76 votes
sort of...... :)
18% 26 votes

Comments

• AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.

[/thread]
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Animals should have their own rights, surely?
  • yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    No.

[/thread]

yes

[thread]
  • ShellmanShellman Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    No.

[/thread]

What an amazing attitude you have to people who have different opinions to you.
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Animals should have their own rights, surely?

no one takes any notice of them and they hardly protect them at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Yappy :)

Animals should have animal rights is how I see it. They can't really have human rights as they are not classed as human.x
  • VashettiVashetti Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humans are animals too. We should all be treated equally.
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Hi Yappy :)

Animals should have animal rights is how I see it. They can't really have human rights as they are not classed as human.x

Yo lizzy::D

IMO the only way forward to protect animals is to give them human rights.

i have learnt about this thing called the UN declaration of human rights. basically the UN includes about 40 odd countries round the world. if they included animals as humans then there will be no more endangered animals in the world or animals that suffer horrific tortures like being skinned alive. animals are more like humans than we think!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody should have any rights.

Nobody asked to be born therefore life is a privilege rather than a right to life.
    Forum Member
    Vashetti wrote: »
    Humans are animals too. We should all be treated equally.

exacts, we are highly evolved monkeys, scientific fact
  • BorderReiverBorderReiver Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you deprive a Border Collie of work you seriously harm its' wellbeing. A Border Collie is at it's best, mentally and physically, working the sort of hours and tempo that would be illegal in most nations in the developed world.

How do we square this with giving animal's human rights? Or do we get the ones that thrive on working with humanity to sign wavers?
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peace and vegetable rights!
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Animals should not have human rights because they are not human. They should, however, be treated ethically and not be allowed to suffer unduly when they are being used in industries. They should not be harmed or killed for entertainment either.
  • Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    yappy wrote: »
    exacts, we are highly evolved monkeys, scientific fact

Wouldn't scientific fact dictate that we're highly evolved apes, not monkeys?
  • bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Animals have more rights than us. My father is dying of cancer, if he was an animal he would have been 'put out of his misery' by now , because it would 'be cruel not to'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One day small animals and insects don't have a heart, another day they should have human rights.
    Whats next in that box of tricks?
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Animals have more rights than us. My father is dying of cancer, if he was an animal he would have been 'put out of his misery' by now , because it would 'be cruel not to'.

Animal life is not considered sacred like human life is. Their lives are not widely protected under the law, it's not "murder" when you kill an animal.

I do hope in the future there is a rethink about euthanasia though. All animals (including human animals) should have the right to die when they are terminally ill.
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    There's an organisation called Animal Rights. I think that means that animals have human rights except that it's not because they're animals which therefore means that the name is Animal Rights. I think.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    Animals should not have human rights, but humans have a responsibility to animals.

They can have human rights when they are able to comprehend the rights of the other animals they interact with - foxes don't care about the rights of chickens, for example
  • Viscount ByronViscount Byron Posts: 1,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Animals should not have human rights, but humans have a responsibility to animals.

They can have human rights when they are able to comprehend the rights of the other animals they interact with - foxes don't care about the rights of chickens, for example

yeah but Foxes need that Chicken to carry on existing, as omnivorous homo-sapiens we can afford the luxury to pass on the Big Mac.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yappy wrote: »
    i was just watching planet earth and a mummy monkey was cuddling the baby monkey. that picture changed my whole entire mind on humans using animals for what they want, fur or killing them for trees and stuff. animals have feelings too and we humans should not ruin their lives (unless they are becoming pests)

IMO all the animals in the world should have human rights. for eg if someone murders a animal they should face the same jail sentecnes as someone who murdered another human.

How can animals have human rights? They aren't human. They should have animal rights though.
    Forum Member
    If you deprive a Border Collie of work you seriously harm its' wellbeing. A Border Collie is at it's best, mentally and physically, working the sort of hours and tempo that would be illegal in most nations in the developed world.

How do we square this with giving animal's human rights? Or do we get the ones that thrive on working with humanity to sign wavers?

why would that not be allowed? humans have the right to work too
  • Lain AndrewsLain Andrews Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Animals should have Animal rights.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member
    yeah but Foxes need that Chicken to carry on existing, as omnivorous homo-sapiens we can afford the luxury to pass on the Big Mac.

Nothing to do with the rights of the cow, and everything to do with how you view our responsibilities
    Forum Member
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    Wouldn't scientific fact dictate that we're highly evolved apes, not monkeys?

same thing basically