Sorry, I know this has been said...

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    I don't think Bruce is homophobic but I do think he has a tendency to kill off any spontaneity on the show. Remember him batting away McFly when Harry won? Or last year, when all the contestants rushed to congratulate Louis and Flavia, he totally spoiled the moment by getting very grumpy with everyone and bringing down the atmosphere? I can't relax and enjoy the programme with him presenting because it feels like I am waiting for the next awkward moment.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,554
    Forum Member
    Malliday wrote: »
    I thought he was fine this week.

He was chuckling along at the Judges' and the guests' jokes.

He was congratulating all the dancers and pointing out the standing ovations they received.

His jokes are still laboured and painful at times, but to label him a "nasty, nasty piece of work" clearly crosses the line from a casual annoyance to an irrational grudge.

I suggest next week, as the show begins, you just take a deep breath, count to 10, maybe have a stiff drink to steady your nerves, and... just relax.

Let all your annoyances about Brucie just wash over you, and enjoy the show.

They have cut the length of his jokes I think the last couple of weeks. He still has the basic problem that he comes with 70 years of references for his jokes, and some of the audience has 20 years experience of a different world where there are fewer standard references. He might as well speak Tibetan to those people as tell jokes about Ena Sharples. Thats a problem though whoever does it. The old comics have the same references, most ramble more and tell longer jokes, much of the audience is over 60 anyway, and many wouldn't understand modern references, and there are no modern young comedians who are that funny, or suitable for 6 PM transmission.

There's a lot of people who don't get irony, and assume every word anyone mutters is true and not the act. There's also a lot of people who just don't understand that the basis of live TV is to get to the end with everything done in time. There's no time to let people do their own thing. Its the presenters job to keep them in line , on time. There may even be a voice shouting in his earpiece to move things on.

The alternatives are not obvious. Tess may need a co presenter. Claudia is too much of a rambling mess. Norton would be too negative. O Grady has similar faults to Bruce, and is less funny and less healthy. Vernon would be opposed by many. Zoe Ball could do it - as she has the knowledge experience and live presenting discipline - but she can speak faster than many of the viewers can think.

Basically, Brucie's been rather good this series. He's kept things going without any significant delays or dithering. His adlibs have mostly been to the point. He's done his job, of congratulating the good and interceeding for the over criticised, well. His jokes, with the exception of some early long ones that went over people's heads, have been shorter and better.
  • nedtheatomicnedtheatomic Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    The only thing Bruce has managed to pull off so far is a sickie.

Hanging on for dear life whilst everyone cringes - the game was up the week Claudia and Tess ran the show so slickly, the judges and the contestants seemed so much more relaxed.

I don't know how anyone can come to the conclusion that he is homophobic nor sadly how anyone can think he's had a good series so far, but folk do. The beeb will continue to prop him up so just got to roll with it for now and fast forward the Bruce bits.
  • gerry23gerry23 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Good Lord, if he was homophobic he wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes in the entertainment industry!
  • makeba72makeba72 Posts: 5,723
    Forum Member
    the game was up the week Claudia and Tess ran the show so slickly, the judges and the contestants seemed so much more relaxed.

I think that's the crux of the matter. It's always better without him.

Out of interest, my 80-year-old parents can't stand him, either.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alli-F wrote: »
    He really is homophobic for someone in the entertainment industry. He wasn't very impressed with Ben touching him at the time either. He really is incredibly loathesome.

To me, at first he seemed more startled than anything, then he slipped into his normal comedy act. And I think that most people would react in the same manner in that situation (back to the person, concentrating on, and talking to the judges).
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    That is part of his act, if something occurs, he tends to do that for a laugh. The shocked and what's going on act.

There are a number of people here who know it's his act and also we have seen this from the generation game and play your cards right.

I am unsure why do few get do worked up about one person?
    This I have to agree with.
  • crimsonlakecrimsonlake Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    I don't think that Bruce is a nasty person; I just think he isn't right for the show. It flows better without him and has a lighter, brighter vibe when he isn't there. When he isn't over-controlling things, the other participants get more chance to shine. Tess and Claudia aren't the greatest alternative, but they are a vast improvement. It's just my own view, but I prefer an all-female presentation team.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's not forget "Have you ever danced with a Nancy before?"
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    Tess is perfectly able to monitor the pace of the show. Bruce is just cringeworthy now, how he scowls and squints when trying to read the autocue.

I sincerely hope he quits soon.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a lot of people who don't get irony, and assume every word anyone mutters is true and not the act. There's also a lot of people who just don't understand that the basis of live TV is to get to the end with everything done in time. There's no time to let people do their own thing. Its the presenters job to keep them in line , on time. There may even be a voice shouting in his earpiece to move things on.

But the irony was that you tell jokes when producers tell you to make up the time for some background technical issues. He refused to wear ear piece as far as I know and when he's on the show he could go on and on about a 'joke' that we see the punch line a mile off and had to WAIT for him to finally get there. It's mighty frustrating. I don't want to be frustrated on Saturday evening when I am trying to relax and watch a really fun show such as SCD.
  • patricia50patricia50 Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grew up watching Bruce on many programmes and the indignant or annoyed act is just that - an act. It's his humour and always has been. Reading these comments and ones on other threads (not just about Bruce)it seems like too many people have had a sense of humour bypass. They take every comment as serious unless it's accompanied by huge peals of laughter to give them a clue it's funny. God forbid they should "get" anything that's tongue in cheek or subtle in any way. Too many people who think people like Keith Lemon are funny maybe. IMO
  • CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    To be fair, Bruce's job is to keep the show flowing (and he's probably being fed instructions from the gallery). The main show is live, and it's up to him to make sure it doesn't overrun. That means stepping in when unscheduled and unscripted things happen. Bruce doesn't always handle these things in the best way, but I think it's a bit harsh to put all the blame on him for stepping in.

As for homophobia - I don't get why people are claiming that Bruce's behavior was homophobic. I just thought he was annoyed with the unscheduled 'judges' table invasion' by Ben.

Bruce will not be getting fed instructions from the gallery because he refuses to wear an earpiece so apart from a floor manager frantically making "cut" gestures at him out of camera range, he just does his own thing.......the producers can't communicate with him so that's one reason why it runs more smoothly when he isn't there..... Tess, who IS wired up, keeps the timing much better, and when down on the main floor can keep Bruce in line.

The man is an egomaniac - and doesn't seem to realise that on a live show, time is of the essence, and especially in the early weeks, there just is not enough time for his ramblings, but the producers can't keep him under control.

I don't think he's homophobic in any way, it would be very difficult to be in show biz, but his problem is that as far as he is concerned, the Show is called Bruce Forsyth's Strictly Come Dancing, and he is the star of the show, so he hogs the limelight - often to the detriment of the show, and these days , to his dwindling reputation.
  • J.RJ.R Posts: 2,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think part of the problem is that when the show started the producers may have been afraid it would only appeal to a 'niche' audience. Having fronted many game shows and light entertainment shows Bruce will have been brought in to give it a more of a general appeal and told to do 'his thing'. I am sure having brought it along from scratch he sees it as his baby - unfortunately for him baby is up and running independently of him now. Under the circumstances I cant imagine the BBC being able to tell him they are bringing someone else in to do 'his' job. I personally think they should phase someone else in gradually, perhaps on his days off. The problem then is of course to pick the right person. Some of the people who have been suggested would be a turn off for many!
    Personally I don't mind him although I am finding his constant wittering while the judges are talking irritating - although I concede that he means well and its just his way of being supportive to the celebrity.
    I absolutely don't believe for a nano second that he is homophobic - considering he was a friend of Larry Grayson how could he be! He's a luvvie, having been in the business for 70 odd years there is no way on earth he would be even slightly shocked at the sight of one man kissing another on the cheek! He was just taken aback because he wasn't expecting it at that moment.
    The 'incident' with Ben is being blown up out of all proportion IMO. He does like to be in charge (was one of his catch phrases even) I think he sees it as part of his MC duties and of course at his age he isn't so 'on the ball' that he can react instantly but I saw nothing more than him doing his usual grumpy 'I'm in charge' act.
  • Caramel CrunchCaramel Crunch Posts: 4,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce's ego is way too big for SCD. He thinks it's all about him & wants all of the attention, all of the time.
    The show is far better without him.
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    patricia50 wrote: »
    I grew up watching Bruce on many programmes and the indignant or annoyed act is just that - an act. It's his humour and always has been. Reading these comments and ones on other threads (not just about Bruce)it seems like too many people have had a sense of humour bypass. They take every comment as serious unless it's accompanied by huge peals of laughter to give them a clue it's funny. God forbid they should "get" anything that's tongue in cheek or subtle in any way. Too many people who think people like Keith Lemon are funny maybe. IMO

Yup, when the audience didn't get his jokes, he prompts them to laugh or go aw.:rolleyes:
  • jinx2jinx2 Posts: 441
    Forum Member

Quite like (sometimes) Keith Lemon but I also love Brucie. Keith Lemon I can watch with my 23yr old son but Sir Bruce I watch with my 7 year old niece and she loves his jokes having never heard them before. :D
  • morrisleemorrislee Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMHO what rubbish ..He is no more homophobic than Craig ! It is called showbiz and acting up for the show .He does well for his age and I must be watching another show ?
  • morrisleemorrislee Posts: 1,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:)Exactly can't believe the stuff being spouted ..even for DS which is not known for it's love of people ;)
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly the sharp timing he used to manage when he put on his Mr Grumpy act is gone. So now he just appears to be a spoilsport. Nor to be fair has the Mr Grumpy act really been used much for SCD, so it seems very out of place and glaringly rude.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »
    Sadly the sharp timing he used to manage when he put on his Mr Grumpy act is gone. So now he just appears to be a spoilsport. Nor to be fair has the Mr Grumpy act really been used much for SCD, so it seems very out of place and glaringly rude.

Spot On.:)