The Need to change clocks back and fourth

Comments

• SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any major road around a town or city will be quite busy at 7 a.m., and it's extremely unlikely that the drivers of all the vehicles will have been tucked up in bed only half an hour earlier.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to go to bed at 10pm, sometimes I even go at 9.30pm!
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who gets up before 6:30am, unless they are involved in shift work or some early-morning occupation like milk/newspaper delivery.

Even if someone were to get up at 6am, that's still seven hours after an 11pm drop-off-to-sleep time.
    I guess mid Wales must be sparsely populated.
    Some of my colleagues start work at 7 to 730. I guy near me works in London and starts at 7 and he isn't the only one in at that time and his competitors will also be in in other London offices.
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting, looking at the European map, countries along the same meridians as us are already on CET anyway e.g. Spain and parts of France.

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/europe/eutimetwo.gif

cue the usual suspects saying "Well they should do the same as we do, they are the odd ones out, not us."

They are the odd ones out. No doubt they don't want to ruin their "European credentials". The truth is that if anyone should change their clocks it should be both France and Spain. To our timezone.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    I didn't do ours till this morning. I was annoyed because i couldn't get one clock back up and it caused 5 minutes of effort sorting it out grrrrr
    back at my parents my dad sorted the clocks on the Saturday evening ranging from 6pm to 10pm , always had to remember the real time was. Does anyone do it at 2am on the dot , not like it makes a difference what time it is done
  • jobbie8jobbie8 Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here in North Yorkshire, late June it starts to get dark around 10.40pm, Never really gets pitch black though. What's it like in the south that time of year? I remember watching the Olympic Fireworks on TV, London sky was dark but it was still light up here.
    I visited Edinburgh in July last year and noticed it light at 11pm.
    Love light nights
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the changing of the clocks is a pain in backside. I have had a busy week at work and it all starts again tomorrow.
  • kampffenhoffkampffenhoff Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live in London. It's never dark ever.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That time of year again, clocks go forward tonight!
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Sounds daft, but the following works for me.

I hate 'losing' an hour and hate even more having to adjust my timers and clocks before bed. Phones, iPad, radios and tellies do themelves, but I went around last night (when I had free time) and did all my clocks - so I have nothing to do tonight. As I don't have anything planned, I haven't confused myself yet!

Although my brother said he followed my idea and ended up getting up an hour earlier than he meant to this morning!
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    d'@ve wrote: »
    So Government should pick an adjustment based on some statistic or other and stick to that all year round. BST would do me fine.

And then we have to contend with never being sure how many hours ahead or behind the rest of the world is.

At least at the moment, apart from the week around changeover, we know central Europe is an hour ahead, New York is 5 hours behind and California is 8 hours behind.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And then we have to contend with never being sure how many hours ahead or behind the rest of the world is.

At least at the moment, apart from the week around changeover, we know central Europe is an hour ahead, New York is 5 hours behind and California is 8 hours behind.

Strangely I've rarely needed to worry about things like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    It annoys me.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know anyone who gets up before 6:30am, unless they are involved in shift work or some early-morning occupation like milk/newspaper delivery.

Even if someone were to get up at 6am, that's still seven hours after an 11pm drop-off-to-sleep time.

I'm up between 6 and 6.30 am, leave the house about 8 am for work. I'm in bed by 10 pm most nights (sometimes earlier) and usually asleep by 11.

I don't like the time change either way, as I get older it seems to take me longer to get used to it and I feel out of sorts for days.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meh. Most of my time pieces will take care of it without needing my help. I think just the car, cooker and microwave need intervention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    I'm up between 6 and 6.30 am, leave the house about 8 am for work. I'm in bed by 10 pm most nights (sometimes earlier) and usually asleep by 11.

I don't like the time change either way, as I get older it seems to take me longer to get used to it and I feel out of sorts for days.

Blimey. It's only an hour. What on earth would you do if you had to travel to New Zealand which is 12 hours ahead?
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I plan to permenantly resolve this issue tonight by putting all my clocks half an hour forward. That way I won't have to keep altering them by +/-1 hour, I'll just have the average time, all the time!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marlman wrote: »

Utter nonsense from the Telegraph. It fails to mention important stuff like we'd still have to change our clocks twice a year if we moved an hour ahead to CET. Never changing them again is not an option.

Sunrise in Winter would not be till 9:00am in London and 10:00am in Scotland.

We are in the right time zone for our longitude and latitude. France and Spain should be on our time zone too but they choose not to be. Although Spain has had discussions recently about changing back to the GMT BST timezone.

Portugal which is on the same Time zone as us tried going to CET in the nineties. People hated it and they went back to our time zone. Children couldn't get to sleep until midnight in the summer and were groggy and not alert in the mornings during winter due to the later sunrise.

The main aim of propenents of this change is to get us onto CET. They hide this by misrepresentation and pretending we'd never have to change clocks again.

I do wish these papers would give people the facts.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I plan to permenantly resolve this issue tonight by putting all my clocks half an hour forward. That way I won't have to keep altering them by +/-1 hour, I'll just have the average time, all the time!

The perfect solution. We should all do this.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    The argument has cropped up so many times. In fact I think I remember arguing about it with MTUK1 last time. ;)

I'm in the "move the clocks forward all year or to CET" camp, but I know many others prefer to keep the status quo.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    So Government should pick an adjustment based on some statistic or other and stick to that all year round. BST would do me fine.

How about picking a time zone that means that midday coincides with 12 noon? Like we did when GMT was invented?

Anyone who prefers BST could lobby to start work earlier, like they do on most of the continent. We could even have staggered school start times for Summer and Winter, or in different regions.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    Blimey. It's only an hour. What on earth would you do if you had to travel to New Zealand which is 12 hours ahead?

That scenario is never going to happen :kitty:

I like your thinking :D
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On CET sunrise in a central location such as Birmingham would move beyond 7 a.m. around the 21st August, with sunrise nearing 9 a.m. by late October when the clocks went back (as they still would)

Then in the spring, by round about now we would just about be getting sunrise at 7 a.m when the clocks went forward and plunged us back into moring darkness, with the after-7 a.m. sunrises finally disappearing around 21st April.

Meanwhile in summer, many people would be forced to go to bed in broad daylight at 10 p.m. or later.

I may have said this all before in this thread, so apologies if that's the case. But I do get offended by the assumption that this is something we would all prefer. The truth is that some would and some wouldn't. Many people - almost certainly a majority I'd say - would hate having to get up in the dark for so long each year. And some of us actually prefer a few hours of darkness in the evening. Summers as they are now are bad enough as far as I'm concerned.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

I permanently keep the clock that I use most, 30 minutes forward. It's great when I'm getting ready to go out or think I've missed a radio or telly show, to realise that I still have half an hour in hand.