The teenager hunting wild animals in Africa to try and get a TV show

Comments

• Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    What I really object to is that repulsive little redneck and her attitude.

Well, you certainly might have a point there but have we actually confirmed that to be the case?

It seems like most of the outrage is the result of a couple of pictures without any context and then, when the girl did attempt to discuss her participation in a project to tranq' rhino's, her comments were just disregarded.

I mean, for all we know she was given permission to go and slot a couple of gazelles because the local lion sanctuary needed fresh meat to feed some abandoned lion cubs.
    You'd never actually know that from a couple of pictures or the story as presented in the OP.

Course, she might just be a spoiled little rich kid who thinks being a girl who shoots stuff is a good way to get herself onto a TV show but she might also be an enlightened conservationist who thinks that a bit of "chicks and guns" publicity would be a good way to get the message of conservation into the public arena.
    We haven't actually (IIRC) seen anything that allows us to decide either way, though.
    We're just making assumptions based on the spin various media outlets have applied to a couple of pictures.
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I just dont see why humans are automatically in the top position when it comes to all this. Why should animals be killed to make room for more humans?

Disconnect your electricity supply, demolish your house, get rid of your car, burn all your clothes and then try surviving off what you find in your local woods for a couple of months and then get back to us.

Humans need lots of "stuff" these days.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Ah, so you actually hate coq au vin and steak pie, you eat animals for their own good.

Makes perfect sense!

There is not much point having a debate about this if you are just going to be hyperbolic
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Well, you certainly might have a point there but have we actually confirmed that to be the case?

It seems like most of the outrage is the result of a couple of pictures without any context and then, when the girl attempted to discuss her participation in a project to tranq' rhino's, her comments were just disregarded.

I mean, for all we know she was given permission to go and slot a couple of gazelles because the local lion sanctuary needed fresh meat to feed some abandoned lion cubs.
    You'd never actually know that from a couple of pictures or the story as presented in the OP.

Course, she might just be a spoiled little rich kid who thinks being a girl who shoots stuff is a good way to get herself onto a TV show but she might also be an enlightened conservationist who thinks that a bit of "chicks and guns" publicity would be a good way to get the message of conservation into the public arena.
    We haven't actually (IIRC) seen anything that allows us to decide either way, though.
    We're just making assumptions based on the spin various media outlets have applied to a couple of pictures.

If you have a look at her facebook page, there are some pretty horrible comments being made against her, especially when you consider that she has done nothing illegal or immoral. The TV show thing seems to have been a throwaway comment that HuffPo has fixed on to make her look bad.

She certainly has tons of stuff about both hunting and conversation on her page so she is clearly serious about it.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    There is not much point having a debate about this if you are just going to be hyperbolic

Ok then, I'll ask my serious question again:

What is the big offensive difference between an omnivore who gets pleasure from eating animals and a hunter who gets pleasure from killing animals?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What is the big offensive difference between an omnivore who gets pleasure from eating animals and a hunter who gets pleasure from killing animals?

I don't eat meat so I can not give you an answer. I apologise for spoiling your fun
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One likes wild boar and the other prefers a 12 bore?
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member

Is the hunter eating the animal? If so then that isnt an issue.

Someone who gets pleasure from eating meat isnt necessarily experiencing pleasure because they are eating an animal. Its just the flavour. They are also getting essential vitamins and protein. Animals eat other animals so its not unnatural to not be a vegetarian.

However the hunters who hunt because they want to hurt or kill something (not all shots kill) are completely different. Their pleasure is the act of killing for no reason other than to kill. If they arent eating the meat then whats the point?
    Forum Member

I'd say that the main one is that most people seem to be able to apply a mental disconnect between food on a plate and living animals.
    It's okay to be happy about eating THIS but you're a psycho-killer if you think it's okay to eat THIS.

And that's not hypocritical at all, nosiree. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    changing direction a tad what is going to happen to her now? University is going to become incredibly difficult for her now. Acting like a **** on facebook, which is really all she has done is hardly a crime.
    Forum Member

Someone who gets pleasure from eating meat isnt necessarily experiencing pleasure because they are eating an animal. Its just the flavour. They are also getting essential vitamins and protein. Animals eat other animals so its not unnatural to not be a vegetarian.

However the hunters who hunt because they want to hurt or kill something (not all shots kill) are completely different. Their pleasure is the act of killing for no reason other than to kill. If they arent eating the meat then whats the point?

Do you cook all your own food?

Is it okay for somebody else to cook food that you eat?

What if somebody actually enjoys being a chef and cooking food for other people to eat? :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't eat meat so I can not give you an answer. I apologise for spoiling your fun

Thwarted again! :D

You don't have to eat meat to answer the question. I'm genuinely interested.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Do you cook all your own food?

Is it okay for somebody else to cook food that you eat?

What if somebody actually enjoys being a chef and cooking food for other people to eat? :o

Whats that got to do with hunting?

Im talking about people who shoot for fun with no intention of using the dead animal for any other purpose than mounting part of it on a wall.

Where does cooking come into that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The rub is that you don't need meat to get those essential vitamins and protein.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    changing direction a tad what is going to happen to her now? University is going to become incredibly difficult for her now. Acting like a **** on facebook, which is really all she has done is hardly a crime.

I think the Yanks have a much more pragmatic view of hunting and guns generally than the urban halfwits calling for her head. I don't mind betting that showing a passionate interest in hunting and conservation will be an advantage when trying to secure a college place. After all, who do you think is a more rounded person; someone who has travelled and actually done stuff or somebody who has unthinkingly jumped on the latest social media bandwagon?
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was that guy recently punished in court for swallowing a goldfish as a show off prank.

Some others for kicking a cat like a football.

This is pretty much a posh version of it.

Disgraceful.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Yanks have a much more pragmatic view of hunting and guns generally than the urban halfwits calling for her head. I don't mind betting that showing a passionate interest in hunting and conservation will be an advantage when trying to secure a college place. After all, who do you think is a more rounded person; someone who has travelled and actually done stuff or somebody who has unthinkingly jumped on the latest social media bandwagon?

Dear me....:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thwarted again! :D

You don't have to eat meat to answer the question. I'm genuinely interested.

I think there is a genuine disconnect now with people and their food. In the age of supermarkets do we really associate that lump of meat on a polystyrene plate with something that is running about or even alive?

Eating meat is seen as using an animal. Since the natural world is one big food chain eating meat is a perfectly natural thing to do. We are using an animal for meat so it is seen as useful and needed, whereas hunting for no other reason then sport is seen as cruel and a waste of life.

Hunting for sport is a completely different type of pleasure when we compare it to food. Food is not about taking enjoyment in seeing something being killed since it is just seen as food.

I also think a lot of it is based on a knee jerk reaction to seeing the pictures or seeing it in the flesh. Seeing a lump of meat doesn't elicit any kind of visceral reactions in us, apart from possibly hunger, but seeing dead animals inevitably will. This coupled with our disconnect form where meat actually comes from will enviably lead to the issue you just posted.

That is just my take on it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am not so sure since all the sites I have seen where the outrage has been vented have been American.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am no halfwit and not everyone who does not enjoy blasting animals to death is either.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's one nasty, horrible, fame-hungry bitch.
    Anyone who hunts and kills animals for FUN like this don't even deserve to have people try and justify such deplorable behaviour - how can anyone even try and excuse this? That picture of her with the dead lion is particularly horrible to look at.
    What a revolting piece of shit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am no halfwit and not everyone who does not enjoy blasting animals to death is either.

Very true. Someone I saw who was seriously calling for her head described himself as 'a texas redneck who loves shooting and hunting'. Which is as far away from urban as you can get
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there is a genuine disconnect now with people and their food. In the age of supermarkets do we really associate that lump of meat on a polystyrene plate with something that is running about or even alive?

Eating meat is seen as using an animal. Since the natural world is one big food chain eating meat is a perfectly natural thing to do. We are using an animal for meat so it is seen as useful and needed, whereas hunting for no other reason then sport is seen as cruel and a waste of life.

Hunting for sport is a completely different type of pleasure when we compare it to food. Food is not about taking enjoyment in seeing something being killed since it is just seen as food.

I also think a lot of it is based on a knee jerk reaction to seeing the pictures or seeing it in the flesh. Seeing a lump of meat doesn't elicit any kind of visceral reactions in us, apart from possibly hunger, but seeing dead animals inevitably will. This coupled with our disconnect form where meat actually comes from will enviably lead to the issue you just posted.

That is just my take on it

We agree there is a disconnect, and Si summed up my feelings well. I see people choosing to bury their heads in the sand or bending over backward to justify deaths of some animals to satisfy their taste for flesh, while spewing some of the most holier than thou crap I have ever come across over the deaths of other animals.

If we actually needed meat for survival, then I might see their point. But we don't, as you know.
    Forum Member
    Whats that got to do with hunting?

Im talking about people who shoot for fun with no intention of using the dead animal for any other purpose than mounting part of it on a wall.

Where does cooking come into that?

In the post I responded to you were attempting to distinguish between why it's okay to enjoy eating meat but not okay to enjoy killing animals.

Part of your explanation seemed to revolve around the idea that it's okay to enjoy flavours in food but it's not okay to think about it being a previously living animal, or something, which is a bit silly so we'll just let it slide.

Beyond that, you seemed to think that it's okay to enjoy food because it fulfills a purpose whereas hunting, alone, may not.
    That being the case, you have to consider the morality of being a chef.
    Cooking food fulfills no purpose for a chef, they enjoy doing it and they often get paid.
    That's pretty much exactly the same mentality that drives a hunter.

Sure, you can argue that the food a chef prepares gets eaten by somebody but, then again, a hunter can probably claim that killing an animal served some purpose too.
    The fact is that in both cases, if we're honest, you've got people taking advantage of animals to do something which they find enjoyable or profitable.

So, why is one less acceptable than the other?
  • charlie1charlie1 Posts: 10,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the record my supermarket comment was aimed at the redneck bastards who enjoy canned hunting in America and elsewhere.

Not selected culling for conservation purposes by qualified rangers and vets.

And anyone who thinks this nasty little bitch is doing it to preserve wildlife is off their heads.

She probably get all hot, wet and bothered when she shoots an innocent animal dead.

Sickening. >:(

I've seen the picture of the bitch grinning inanely over the body of, what seems to be a young male lion.
    If this nasty little bitch was really doing it for wildlife conservation, she wouldn't be gurning like that.
    Hopefully the next shot she does will backfire!