80 vs 40?

13»

Comments

• littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Icaraa wrote: »
    I'm talking about people who live a bit further away from the cabinet. They see Virgin Media advertising 120Mb and they are only getting 12Mb on FTTC but both are being advertised as "fibre broadband".
    To be getting 12Mb, they must be a very long way from the cab, probably getting on for 2 kilometres.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    Not really, calling it fibre is misleading, as many people on FTTC connections have slower connection speeds than many others on ADSL2 etc. Best to call it what it is, FTTC (and quicker to type, too!).

It's still a fibre connection in a way though. The data is still travelling through a fibre cable once it's past the cabinet, and coming back to the cabinet. It isn't a pure fibre connection though.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    littleboo wrote: »
    To be getting 12Mb, they must be a very long way from the cab, probably getting on for 2 kilometres.

You're missing my point a bit! I'm not talking about one specific person I've spoken to, it was just a made up example. But a lot of people have said that to me when they've been getting sub 25Mb speed. Lots of people are that far away from the cabinet.
    zx50 wrote: »
    It's still a fibre connection in a way though. The data is still travelling through a fibre cable once it's past the cabinet, and coming back to the cabinet. It isn't a pure fibre connection though.

I'm not sure what you mean here when you say past the cabinet. Anything after the cabinet is copper on FTTC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're missing my point a bit! I'm not talking about one specific person I've spoken to, it was just a made up example. But a lot of people have said that to me when they've been getting sub 25Mb speed. Lots of people are that far away from the cabinet.

I'm not sure what you mean here when you say past the cabinet. Anything after the cabinet is copper on FTTC.

I meant when the data is being sent out. After it passes the cabinet on its way out, or leaves the cabinet, it then travels through a fibre cable. On its way back, it travels through a fibre cable until it reaches the cabinet. It then travels the last bit of the journey over copper. I should have made it clearer.
    Forum Member
    I meant when the data is being sent out. After it passes the cabinet on its way out, or leaves the cabinet, it then travels through a fibre cable. On its way back, it travels through a fibre cable until it reaches the cabinet. It then travels the last bit of the journey over copper. I should have made it clearer.

The links between the copper cabinet and the fibre cabinet are copper, I think you probably know that but I just wanted to clarify.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member

I still think calling FTTC 'fibre' is misleading but I can see why people do it so it's no biggie.

ADSL/+ is fibre to the exchange, then copper between the exchange and home.

FTTC is fibre to the exchange and cabinet, then copper between the cabinet and home.

The main difference with FTTC is that there is usually less copper involved than before, so speeds can usually (not always) be higher.

If I had my way I'd call ADSL CTTE (copper to the exchange) and FTTC would be CTTC (copper to the cabinet). Only FTTP would be fibre, and perhaps that would encourage Openreach/BT to get their fingers out and actually create a national FTTP network!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d'@ve wrote: »
    I still think calling FTTC 'fibre' is misleading but I can see why people do it so it's no biggie.

ADSL/+ is fibre to the exchange, then copper between the exchange and home.

FTTC is fibre to the exchange and cabinet, then copper between the cabinet and home.

The main difference with FTTC is that there is usually less copper involved than before, so speeds can usually (not always) be higher.

If I had my way I'd call ADSL CTTE (copper to the exchange) and FTTC would be CTTC (copper to the cabinet). Only FTTP would be fibre, and perhaps that would encourage Openreach/BT to get their fingers out and actually create a national FTTP network!

It would be great if this nation had pure fibre connections. Hopefully in the future this will happen.
    Forum Member
    It would be great if this nation had pure fibre connections. Hopefully in the future this will happen.

There are plenty of people on BT's FTTP network you know, it does exist!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are plenty of people on BT's FTTP network you know, it does exist!

I meant it would be great if this nation had all FTTP connections instead of some being FTTP and others FTTC.