Options

Scam phone calls?

Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
Forum Member
✭✭
I assume they are, anyway..........

1) Frank from Switzerland, Indian sounding accent, loads of background noise. Wanted to know which aftershaves I used. Hung up quick on that one.

2) Woman claiming to be somewhere in Italy wanting to know what I thought of Italian food. I kept this one going for a while. Asked her why she wanted to know that. She said she was working for some pasta company. Told her I don't like such foods, and she actually accused me of lying. End of conversation.

What's the angle here? Obviously dodgy, but how are they hoping to gain anything from this? Anyone else received this sort of call lately?

Comments

• Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ordinary, run of the mill nuisance calls.
    The call could easily have been from people calling themselve Microsoft technicians saying you had loads of viruses on your PC which they would fix for a charge of course.
    Now that is a scam when payment is being asked for.
    In this case it's just a nuisance if no money was requested
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/scam
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes 10 calls a day.

Recorded messages recently or silence and I just hang up, I'm totally sick of it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Ordinary, run of the mill nuisance calls.
    The call could easily have been from people calling themselve Microsoft technicians saying you had loads of viruses on your PC which they would fix for a charge of course.
    Now that is a scam when payment is being asked for.
    In this case it's just a nuisance if no money was requested
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/scam

I get those calls, too, and I'm kind of used to those.

Like I say, though, what are these people hoping to gain from this? How does someone (probably in India or therabouts) asking me which aftershaves I use benefit them? I don't get it. I doubt they're doing this just for kicks.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get those calls, too, and I'm kind of used to those.

Like I say, though, what are these people hoping to gain from this? How does someone (probably in India or therabouts) asking me which aftershaves I use benefit them? I don't get it. I doubt they're doing this just for kicks.

She'd then have gone on to other products, insurances, etc. Then garble a paragraph about passing on your details to "partner companies". Finally, you'd be asked for a "password" so you knew calls were genuine. If I let them get that far, I usually say "cold callers are scum".

Then her company will sell your details to hundreds of companies.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    I assume they are, anyway..........

1) Frank from Switzerland, Indian sounding accent, loads of background noise. Wanted to know which aftershaves I used. Hung up quick on that one.

2) Woman claiming to be somewhere in Italy wanting to know what I thought of Italian food. I kept this one going for a while. Asked her why she wanted to know that. She said she was working for some pasta company. Told her I don't like such foods, and she actually accused me of lying. End of conversation.

What's the angle here? Obviously dodgy, but how are they hoping to gain anything from this? Anyone else received this sort of call lately?

You need to learn how to make stuff up quickly...

For "Frank" from Switzerland you should have said "Dusky Lady" - any queries point out that it's advertised on tv (McDonald's £saver) all the time.

Italian Lady, explain that you are gluten intolerant and pasta gives you a dreadful dose of the trots.

Any surverys, explain you only respond in return for payment in advance.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually get a couple of scam calls around lunchtime and then a couple more late afternoon. It gets on my nerves.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They may all be 'nuisance' calls, but there's not necessarily an 'angle' or a scam..

Lots of very genuine market research is conducted in this way (random phone polling).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think I'll just hang up much sooner from now on. It really is getting ridiculous now. Energy firms are another one. Bloody awful.