Options

HIGNFY: Angus Deayton and Paul Merton

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
Forum Member
These two seemed to disdain each other. What was the main reason behind it? I've heard all sorts of rumours but not sure of the truth. Merton didn't seem to hold back and he could be relentless at times.

Comments

• Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    No one knows but those 2 really, The common opinion is Merton didn't like the fact Deayton came across as the star when a lot of his stuff was scripted

Plus aren't there certain people who just don't get on? Maybe these 2 come in that category
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't be the first time two performers worked together successfully while not respecting each other. I don't think Ian Hislop had much time for Angus Deayton either, certainly not after his sex and drugs scandal revelations.
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul didn't like the fact that Deayton was always praised for his 'off-the-cuff' and improvised remarks even though they were heavily scripted by a team of writers and put on the autocue. This is in contrast with Paul, a genuine improviser.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allafix wrote: »
    I don't think Ian Hislop had much time for Angus Deayton either, certainly not after his sex and drugs scandal revelations.

I agree, although I do think Paul and Ian have a genuine respect for each other and seem to get on well.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wikipedia's entry for Deayton comes across as being written by an Angus Deayton fan, but it also suggests that although Merton found Deayton "arrogant and aloof", he didn't condemn his behaviour and believed he would be back on TV soon because "you can't keep talent like that down".

Interesting that Deayton was censured by the BBC for making a joke about Jimmy Savile's relationship with his mother on Would I Lie To You:

""Sir Jimmy is quite keen on seeing how blue mouldy bits develop," said Deayton.

"That's why he stayed with his mum so long after she died. The blue bit in cheese is in fact a living fungus that smells slightly off and serves no useful purpose - much like Sir Jimmy himself nowadays."

Curiously, Lee Mack thought Deayton was "well out of order" to make such an unfair remark. Those were the days, eh?
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seem to remember something about Angus not talking to the others after the show.

The continued lack of a permanent host is an uncomfortable reminder of how Angus was irreplaceable.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    The continued lack of a permanent host is an uncomfortable reminder of how Angus was irreplaceable.

Only because Xander Armstrong won`t take the job full-time.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seem to remember something about Angus not talking to the others after the show.

Irreplaceable? Obviously not, just about universally disliked perhaps.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »

Jack Dee would be good alternative permanent host, his demeanor is perfect for the show.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some of the hosts have been really good, and it helps that the show is tailored so that, say, Damien Lewis gets a different style of script from Victoria Coren Mitchell. On the other hand, some of the hosts have been awful. But Deayton was good because he was good at bringing a script to life, and the ones who are bad are bad because they're terrible at delivering the script.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Some of the hosts have been really good, and it helps that the show is tailored so that, say, Damien Lewis gets a different style of script from Victoria Coren Mitchell. On the other hand, some of the hosts have been awful. But Deayton was good because he was good at bringing a script to life, and the ones who are bad are bad because they're terrible at delivering the script.

Hadn't thought of that before, but yes Deayton, Lewis and Armstrong are all professional actors.
  • Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea what went of with Angus and Paul, but I do think Angus was a good presenter. Yes, of course the presenter has a script to hold the show together but, unlike Angus, some of the guest presenters struggle to read an autocue and deliver any of the scripted gags. He'd often chip in some off-script gags and I'm sure would have been able to hold his own as a panelists. Of course, there's always the rumours that the panelist see the film footage, headlines, etc, anyway, so have time to prepare their gags.

I don't know if there was some perception that he was the star of the show because he was the host, but that makes me wonder if that's why Paul and Ian don't seem bothered about having a decent regular host.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    This is in contrast with Paul, a genuine improviser.

He was. His early radio 4 stuff is truly funny, but now he just comes across as a consummate bore who may as well telephone his shows in.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul didn't like the fact that Deayton was always praised for his 'off-the-cuff' and improvised remarks even though they were heavily scripted by a team of writers and put on the autocue. This is in contrast with Paul, a genuine improviser.

I suspect that the best improvisors just have a good script (writer) and either a good memory or are able to read it without most people noticing.

I never liked Deayton but what really put me off him was hearing how hounded Frank Bough after his problems then fell to very similar (if not worse) problems himself/ I wonder if he ever apologised to Frank Bough?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    It's the other way around I think. He thought he'd got the gig after the 1st post Angus series and was disappointed when they decided to continue with guest hosts.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I wouldn't say that he was irreplaceable if his talent was down to his ability to read an autocue.
    In fact if they have a new host for each new show it proves that he can be replaced time and time again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like another poster said with variable results. Having a different host every week means that the host has to get into the HIGNIFY vibe. Some can, many can't. And a highlight of the Angus years was the ribbing from Paul and the in-jokes - Michael Winner's underpnats, his brown suits, in what way - which don't come up as often now they change every week.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    It died for me when someone decided Jo Brand could present it.

'i'm fat and I don't let my husband f*** me'

Deayton was Oscar Wilde compared to that.
  • Options
    BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    I don't mind Deayton as a presenter. He's quite good. Not sure how much is done by the script/autocue, but if you watch him in early episodes of Would I Lie To You and the radio show It's Your Round, he makes many of the same style of jokes, so if they were scripted, they were probably written by him. The show has changed without him, but I can understand why Paul wouldn't like the kind of joke that requires him to say something in order for Angus to respond in a scripted way. It's disingenuous and makes genuine off the cuff remarks not look as good.

Edit: I'd just like to add that in that infamous episode where Angus was in the news and Paul has the newspaper and the T-shirt, rather than finding it funny, I felt very awkward and even felt sorry for Angus. It felt like bullying. Paul was surprisingly malicious. Rather than being jokey about it (which could have been funny, like Sean and Jon's jokes about Jimmy Carr's taxes on 8 Out of 10 Cats), it just seemed mean spirited and almost an attempt to ensure that Angus can never work again. It was like watching a brutal argument between family members at Christmas where one of them says something they regret and then everyone feels uncomfortable and doesn't know where to look.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack Dee would be good alternative permanent host, his demeanor is perfect for the show.

I'd agree with this. He has fitted in well as the permanent host of I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue after they had a rota of hosts after Hump died.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the show would do with a permanent host now but Deayton, irreplaceable?! Really?!

He brought nothing to the show that wasn't scripted. Just needs a trained chimp in the seat.

I'm genuinely amazed someone would describe him or his on-screen persona as "irreplaceable".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blister wrote: »
    Edit: I'd just like to add that in that infamous episode where Angus was in the news and Paul has the newspaper and the T-shirt, rather than finding it funny, I felt very awkward and even felt sorry for Angus. It felt like bullying. Paul was surprisingly malicious. Rather than being jokey about it (which could have been funny, like Sean and Jon's jokes about Jimmy Carr's taxes on 8 Out of 10 Cats), it just seemed mean spirited and almost an attempt to ensure that Angus can never work again. It was like watching a brutal argument between family members at Christmas where one of them says something they regret and then everyone feels uncomfortable and doesn't know where to look.

Oh my what a delicate little soul you are.

He deserved it, he could have avoided it. No more to be said.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blister wrote: »

After the first batch of headlines the producers called Deayton in and asked if he had any more skeletons in the closet which the BBC should know about. He lied and said no. Everyone thought it'd blow over and they could move on. Then, just before the next series, the follow up story broke dragging down Deayton's reputation further and burnt any bridges he had left standing between himself and the production team/Hislop and Merton. But if there was any doubt about his future it was a scripted line about 'disgraced former MP Neil Hamilton' to which wife and panelist Christine Hamilton replied 'if he's disgraced then what are you?' Merton later said on Parkinson that the show could not work with a scandal-ridden Deayton at the helm as the key to it's success was taking the mick out of scandal ridden figures.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely right - it was definitely the Christine Hamilton incident that ultimately sealed Angus Deayton's fate.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sue Perkins and Victoria Coren-Mitchell both excellent presenters