Can I take my Virgin Media box to another address?

2»

Comments

• Steven L HunterSteven L Hunter Posts: 10,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will work as long as it's in the same cabled area like ex Telewest or ex NTL but if you live on a different exchange from the other person you will still get the channels you subscribe to but no interactive or on demand and if you have TiVo it wont be able to connect to the server to update the TV Guide but programs will still work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long does it take before Sky send you a warning? What if you was to disconnect a multiroom Sky box and use it at a different address for say 2 hours and then reconnect the box again at your own address? Even if Sky got suspicious, couldn't you just lie, by saying that there was an intermittent fault with the phone line? :confused:

They sent me one warning, then another about 4 weeks after (workmen had cut the line accidently) but sky were okay when i explained that i wouldnt have a working line for antother 2 weeks due to the workmen. I did say they could freeze the accoutn till then but siad no, its okay, they will do another check in a month. No problems since then! So in theory you could take a sky box to anywhere in the country, infact, anywhere in the EU (aslong as you get signal on 28.2e) and watch sky sports etc.. without problems.

That said, i find it much easier to use a slingbox
  • pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will work as long as it's in the same cabled area like ex Telewest or ex NTL but if you live on a different exchange from the other person you will still get the channels you subscribe to but no interactive or on demand and if you have TiVo it wont be able to connect to the server to update the TV Guide but programs will still work.
    Both the address I live at and the one my grandparents live at are ex NTL cable areas. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both the address I live at and the one my grandparents live at are ex NTL cable areas. :)

you'll be fine. Try it and see, and if it doesnt work, then oh well, and if it does, then great. NOTHING will happen to your box if it doesnt work so you're safe
  • fozzifozzi Posts: 1,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the L package allow access to BBC One HD? :confused:

Besides, I thought the smart card in my V+ box determined what package and functionality is available, not which address it is being used at? :confused:

Yes it is the card with the box that gives you the package. You can't move cards around - they won't work in other boxes without being paired up. But the box and the card is all they care about so whatever package you pay for you will get wherever you plug it in. I once phoned up and asked about this and they said that I could do this so long as it was temporary.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    mclarenf1 wrote: »
    They sent me one warning, then another about 4 weeks after (workmen had cut the line accidently) but sky were okay when i explained that i wouldnt have a working line for antother 2 weeks due to the workmen. I did say they could freeze the accoutn till then but siad no, its okay, they will do another check in a month. No problems since then! So in theory you could take a sky box to anywhere in the country, infact, anywhere in the EU (aslong as you get signal on 28.2e) and watch sky sports etc.. without problems.

That said, i find it much easier to use a slingbox

That works fine with the main box but it won't for long with a multiroom box,.

They won't cut it off but instead merely charge the full price if a callback from the designated phoneline isn't received after a certain time.

That's why I thought it odd you can move VM boxes around, seems very lapse particularly with multiroom subs.
  • AdderAdder Posts: 1,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j-in-sw2 wrote: »
    i moved from one area sw2 to se20 now that 2 different franchise areas still got the same tivo box the tec said it been multi platform for about 2 years now the only thing he had to is reprogram the box to get on to the right tivo server no card change no box change so kept all my recordings to :D

So I am not the only one then :D I wonder if I was the first though...