Bad neighbours

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,075
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Today we had a big problem with our neighbours in our estate. We recently bought a hot tub and we've had it for a couple of months now, and today we didn't use it. However, when we were in the garden I was helping my mum to hang some things up and our neighbour opened her window. I naturally glanced up at her, as this was my natural instinct. One minute later, her partner started slating us really loud and referring to me said '****ing poof'. Shortly afterwards, they carried on slating us and later in the evening they put their hi fi stereo in the garden and started playing it full blast but with the radio on but untuned. We shortly realised that this was to make it sound like the sound of our hot tub spa when the jets are switched on. This was left on for about an hour and then it was switched off. Shortly after this occurance, they were spraying the hose pipe over our fence and against our fence for ages, and started copying what we were doing earlier in the day and hammering (We were nailing a hanging basket up).

We are not sure what to think or do, as we used to generally get on with them and in the last few months they have turned on us because we have got the hot tub.

Comments

• ZentonZenton Posts: 883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe there are jealous of the tub. Why not write an invitation asking your neighbours to join you the next time you are going to have a nice and relaxing outdoor soak? It would be a good way to get know to your neighbours in a relaxing and intimate setting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Go round and ask them, but be nice about it. Nonconfrontational. Catch them completely off guard with your politeness - because he (or the partner anyway) sounds like the type of person who could be aggressive, and is itching for a scrap. Don't give him the satisfaction.

If they admit that they have a problem with your hot tub (or anything else come to think of it), kindly say to them that they should keep a noise diary, as you do with them, and that should they feel the need to get in touch with environmental health then you'll be only too happy to co-operate, just as you're sure they would be too.....

Seriously. If you're going to have to engage with them, do it in such a way that it plays with their mind. Give him enough rope to hang himself.
  • BowmaniBowmani Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    Seriously - baseball bat and knees!
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    Sounds like your hot tub and noise it generates has been bothering them for ages, but they haven't had the balls to say anything to you about it and are now acting like petty idiots.

I agree with MoleHusband, go round and confront them as politely as possible...
  • delazarousdelazarous Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bowmani wrote: »
    Seriously - baseball bat and knees!

Yes because violence solves everything :yawn:
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You know what to do. A dustbin each up against the front and back doors tonight........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get the noise complaints and annoyance at that, but what has calling you a "****ing poof" got to do with noise?

Now, if you were engaging in said sexual acts in the hot tub, that could be understood as to why he would say such a thing. Otherwise, I've no idea.

Side note, is this a council estate, as it sounds a lot like it!
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    If their radio up full blast sounds like your hot tub then there lies the answer.

Your hot tub is too bloody noisy, and if you don't like the sound of an untuned radio at full blast then that is also what your neighbours are having to put up with when you use your hot tub!

Also the mimicking is again letting you know the noise you made earlier in the day was just as irritating.

So I'm guessing they are trying to tell you that you are noisy, albeit they are doing it in the most immature way. So look at your noise levels before complaining about others.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
  • AtlanticAtlantic Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hot tubs are noisy aren't they? Is the hot tub inside your conservatory or out in the garden below your neighbour's bedroom window? Also is it placed against a wall shared with your neighbour? Hot tubs vibrate as well don't they?

Look ... if my neighbour was Salma Hayek then I'm all for a hot tub next door. However if it was you and your mum then maybe, no offence, I would be less enthusiastic about this whole hot tub scenario.
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would anyone want to sit in a bath, in the garden of all places, in the first place?

I don't understand:o.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim_smith wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to sit in a bath, in the garden of all places, in the first place?

And with other people usually worse for wear. I'm with you.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    tim_smith wrote: »

It is relaxing.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wench wrote: »
    If their radio up full blast sounds like your hot tub then there lies the answer.

Your hot tub is too bloody noisy, and if you don't like the sound of an untuned radio at full blast then that is also what your neighbours are having to put up with when you use your hot tub!

Also the mimicking is again letting you know the noise you made earlier in the day was just as irritating.

So I'm guessing they are trying to tell you that you are noisy, albeit they are doing it in the most immature way. So look at your noise levels before complaining about others.

Fully agree - they are hacked off about the noise but are not going about raising their concerns in a particular adult manner.

The neighbours of a colleague had a hot tub installed, which was pretty noisy. After getting nowhere with her neighbours, the colleague along with others approached the council who took noise measurements and declared the thing as a "statutory nuisance" and prohibited them from using it for more than 1 hour a day and between 6pm to 8am, and at weekends.