Options

Christmas lights on the outside of houses

13»

Comments

• Options
    ChasingSundaysChasingSundays Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oo i love to see houses lit up with xmas lights, the tackier the better!

Makes me feel all christmassy and brings a smile to my face,:)
  • Options
    LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do like some christmas lights but they are usually subtle , tasteful and white. I'm not a snob but a house with red everywhere , flashing santas and reindeers just looks horrible and tacky.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LadyCake wrote: »
    I do like some christmas lights but they are usually subtle , tasteful and white.

Now to me that is just boring. :)
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mathertron wrote: »
    People a;ways go waaaay OTT in my treet, I love the kitsch, plus it does lok festive, it's just a shame that my house looks like super miserable in comparisin. I'll just pretend I'm a muslim or something. :D
    We have a turning down the road where each year they add more Xmas lights and it has now escalated into a competative thing between houses. I wouldn't mind but we are in one of the better neighbourhoods!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do people who festoon the outside of their house with hundreds of lights do it just to show off how much they can afford the electricity bill ? :D
    in a "Oooh, look at ME" kind of way!

The strange thing is...it always seems to me that it's the poorer areas and council estates that have more and more lights outside their houses.

Perhaps that's why they have no money or savings? They just spend every penny they get on useless crap?

:confused:
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I quite like lights in outdoor trees, but strings that are used in lines to mark out the edge of a house and it's windows look awful, IMO - not christmassy at all. Fairy lights look better "bunched" than in strings.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not seen anywhere near as many this year, I usually see loads :confused:
  • Options
    cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fella across the road from me has just put loads of those tube lights around his front doorway. Red and white they are.

It looks like a f****** nightclub.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    The fella across the road from me has just put loads of those tube lights around his front doorway. Red and white they are.

Maybe you should knock on his door and ask for a gin & tonic :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Maybe you should knock on his door and ask for a gin & tonic :D

I might do that later.

Me and the Mrs can get dressed up and go over there.
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You sure you don't live across from a barber's?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KBBJ wrote: »
    You sure you don't live across from a barber's?

I think he may have actually turned it into a nightclub.

If I see any tacky limo's pulling up later I'll let everyone know.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Perfect opportunity to blast some Abba at him then!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    lights are about the only thing I do like about Christmas. Really cheers me up to see nice displays on a cold/miserable/dark day/night.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Do people who festoon the outside of their house with hundreds of lights do it just to show off how much they can afford the electricity bill ? :D
    in a "Oooh, look at ME" kind of way!

Wait till you see this display then put up by none other than Paul Toole (and I'm not making that part up):

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/view/165845/Christmas-crazy-homeowner-lights-up-street/Christmas-crazy-homeowner-lights-up-street
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/somerset/hi/things_to_do/newsid_9176000/9176313.stm
  • Options
    Dave23Dave23 Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    The LED lights use very little power. I bought a string with 120 bulbs and it only uses 3.6W :D
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Around here there is a competition in the paper for it

There is one local house which always participates which is a mini-mansion in a very Conservative area. It's not just for the great unwashed :D I quite like it :)

If I had a house of any decent size which I owned I'd do it too I think!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    It's Christmas, liven up a little, miserable people :D