Would you ever really stop watching?

splodge9splodge9 Posts: 140
Forum Member
I wondered if the majority of us would ever really stick to our guns on those occasions when we say we are going to stop watching the show.

With all the maniupulation that goes on, on principal I know I shouldn't watch the show as it's not the show I grew to love from the first series. However I know that on those occasions when I think - this is a joke I can't watch this anymore, I know I won't follow through with this.

Even though it's lost the heart it had, it's still amazing television with everything it offers the viewer - there's drama, scandal, relationships, etc etc - it's like one big soap opera and each week I can't help but tune in to see how the next episode will play out.

Even thought the manipulation/apparent fixing has infuriated me, I don't vote so in that sense I don't feel ripped off, however I have been annoyed on behalf of those contestants it's affected/those who've voted last week for example who were doing so without being properly informed. But even in spite of this, I know I'll keep watching.

I was trying to think if there was anything else they could do -to me it seems in terms of the programme they've really pushed the boundaries as to what they/Simon can get away with - that would actually make me say -'No enough is enough I really can't watch this anymore' and I would actually refuse to watch it. Short of one of the judges holding up a puppy on stage and saying they would kill it live on tv if their act didn't win, I think I'm still too gripped by the show to stop watching. I'm disgusted with what they've done to manipulate it this year, but it's the kind of disgust that doesn't mean you change the channel.

What would happen on the show that would make you stop watching for real?

Comments

• rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No because I have never fallen in with the fix, manipulation crowd. I watch what I want, vote if I want and when its over carry on as usual.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    another channel at least trying to compete by putting something half decent on would be good for a start. I have not watched the show live and not on fast forward for a series and a half.
  • ManDingo1967ManDingo1967 Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I would only stop watching if I didn't like any of the acts and there's usually one I'm rooting for (this year's being Cher).

The auditions are a bit tedious and I don't like the live audience format one bit. I think that next year they should go back to basics, lose the gimmicks and ease up on the very obvious attempts at voter manipulation.
  • Music_boxMusic_box Posts: 1,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've watched about 4 shows this year.
  • FrillynixFrillynix Posts: 6,497
    Forum Member
    Yep - I stopped watching a few weeks ago. Husband, 15 year old son and I decided that the particular week we watched it was a complete farce - voting etc - and for once we have stuck to our guns.

I do admit to dipping in here the odd time to find out whats going on though:o:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    The show has stopped being compelling to me, & if I weren't a completionist, I wouldn't watch the final. I'm not quitting in protest; I just have no interest in most of the contestants, and the ones I do like are invariably stitched up (Lucie last year, Paije/Wagner this year), so it seems like there's no point. I can't see myself being enthusiastic about the next series, either.
  • Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I said I would stop watching after Sharon tactically voted Verity out and haven't watched a second since.
  • chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    I've stuck to my guns and stopped watching X Factor and Xtra Factor, but I do still come in here because I just love DS :D

The last episode I watched was when Wagner and Katie left.

I love the audition stages so I will definitely watch those next year, but depending on how the judges act, and the level of talent they put through etc, I don't know if I'll bother watching the lives again.

In my personal opinion, I think the talent this year has been dire, just look at the 4 finalists for pity sake! I know others think completely different to me and think this is the strongest year yet (:eek: !) but I think that, coupled with the meddling/fixing, it has made the show literally unwatchable.

I also wish they'd go back to the old auditions format. You know, no audience booing or cheering, just the judges and the wannabes singing right there and then in front of them with no music, post-production or anything like that.

That was the best way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    as much as i am appalled by how its been handled this year i still watch it, but not with that much enthusiasm. The other time it was on, someone called me on my mobile... and i actually answered it! I usually dont talk to people during the show... that was my way of protesting! But i still watch it
  • suniilsuniil Posts: 2,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching few weeks ago, but follow the thread here. It is much more entertaining than watching the program.

Still throw in few votes for matt and going to stop follow the XF from next year onwards.
  • KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get dragged in most years but not from the start, and I never watch to the end. Once my favourite - if I have one - is out, I don't bother. The rest is only sufficiently interesting to come in here and follow it. Talk of fixes and other conspiracies is still good. I just don't care who wins.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, people look too far into things and take it wayyyyy too seriously. I just enjoy it, really entertaining show.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stopped watching when Aiden was booted off. I keep up on here for the gossip and the DS fun.

I probably will cave in and watch the final though. Whether I will feel compelled enough to vote though is another matter.
  • philster1972philster1972 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I won't watch the final on Saturday and will stand by my guns. I'm sick of the crap that comes with it. After last Saturday, it was the last straw. However, it isn't just because of the fixing/manipulation,rigging, whatever you want to call it, it's due to there is no one I want to win the competition. This year is disappointing. I won't watch next year through the fixing though.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I know people who have stopped watching this year and I'm NOT watching next year.
  • splodge9splodge9 Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I also wish they'd go back to the old auditions format. You know, no audience booing or cheering, just the judges and the wannabes singing right there and then in front of them with no music, post-production or anything like that.

That was the best way.

Yeah I much preferred that format as well. It felt much more initmate doing them that way. With the audience there it just feels like I'm watching Britain's Got Talent auditions but just with singers.
  • mrellis33mrellis33 Posts: 2,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i always record it on sky plus so I can fast forward all the crap in between the performances. Haven't watched an episode all the way through since Leona's Year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    splodge9 wrote: »
    Yeah I much preferred that format as well. It felt much more initmate doing them that way. With the audience there it just feels like I'm watching Britain's Got Talent auditions but just with singers.

The live audience has killed the show as a singing contest as the contestants think if they can win over the crowd with a gimick the judges will put them into th enext round
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winterland wrote: »
    The live audience has killed the show as a singing contest as the contestants think if they can win over the crowd with a gimick the judges will put them into th enext round

I.e. Danyl Johnson (mike tossing) and Katie Waissell
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll carry on watching X-Factor as long as it's on. I always look forward to this when it's advertised for being aired.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i stopped watching a few weeks ago. I will watch the final though. i enjoy some of the singers but have no time for the judges or over production.
  • tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    once strictly has finished on a sat night theres nothing else on terestrial TV other than X factor, if there was anything else decent on i probably would wean myself off xfactor because it wants to appeal to a wide audience when really its just for tweenies with the horn for what ever pretty boy / girl act is currently on it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found this series tedious from the very beginning, and only vaguely watched the first few lives just to watch Aiden's performance, and then it'd go off. Since he left I haven't watched it at all. If I can be bothered on a Sunday I might youtube Matt and Rebecca's performances because I like them both and hope they do well out of it, but I don't care enough to watch the final. I think the X Factor has run it's course for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 336
    Forum Member
    Yep id never watch it , if it was just me , but it is about the only prog we watch as a family , so it is important in that aspect !
  • Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched most of the auditions and boot camp eps. I lost interest at the judges' houses and the live shows have been abysmal (in my opinion). I haven't actually watched many of them live, just on catch up on a Sunday afternoon.

I won't be watching the final on Saturday night, I just can't be bothered. My children (aged 9 and 13) are officially sick of it and want to rent a movie instead.