My Mad, Fat Diary

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    This brings back so many memories of my teenage years. I didnt self harm but I was over weight and scarred and never felt good enough to be with the group for friends.
    In a way Im enjoying seeing how other teens dealt with friends but its not comfortable viewing

I remember years ago when one of the lads at school called me frankinstein as I had scars on my head and I turned round for the first time ever and something like wow thats original do you have no thoughts of your own? He actually walked me part way home from school that day apologising

I think the teeenage years are horrible. You dont have self confidence to say shut up and you take every comment to heart
  • chasing_starschasing_stars Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    My interpretation was that Rae felt that her friendship with Chloe was changing and she felt like she couldn't discuss certain things with her, as her psychiatrist pointed out. Chloe shared with Rae her accidental pregnancy and Rae did the selfless thing of giving up on going to Knebworth to go with Chloe to the abortion clinic. They had a moment where Chloe said she asked Rae to go with her because she felt that she could trust her and that she wouldn't tell anyone.

Rae then plucked up the courage to share with Chloe that she'd been ill and that she'd hurt herself. With that the phone rang and it was Chloe's on-off boyfriend who wanted to see her and Chloe ran out on her to see her boyfriend - it was almost like Rae was good enough to be there for Chloe when she needed her but as soon as Rae decided to confide in Chloe she had somewhere else to be and wasn't prepared to listen, although she did say she'd talk to her about it later. Rae's probably more concerned now that Chloe will go and tell the rest of the group that she self harms.

I really like this programme as its so true to life and Rae really makes me laugh. I wasn't overweight as a teenager but I had massive confidence issues and used to hide away - I got absolutely mocked for it and in all fairness, I still have those scars to this day. As soon as my confidence hits a low, I tend to revert into myself and people don't really understand why I get like that. I find it difficult explaining to people and all these scars, I've had since i were a kid and at the end of the day, I am what I am.
  • How VeryHow Very Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Loving this show. I was the same age - 16 - as the character, in 1996.
    The depictions of female teenage friendship is extremely accurate, sometimes upsettingly so. It's certainly brought it home to me that I would never, ever want to be that age.

I wasn't 'mad' at age 16, but I was the largest of all my friends, and I remember all too well what it felt like not to be liked by boys (or at least I didn't think I was), and to be the 'funny' one when my best friend was fancied by EVERYONE. I was her shadow and the Rae/Chloe dynamic in the show really reminds me of that. I was obsessed by music and could chat to boys about bands but when it came to dressing fashionably or doing my make-up nice, I was lost.

I think I've had tears in my eyes at some point during each episode so far. Partly because it brings back the awkward teen angst years, but also because of the pure nostalgia of it. I did smile to myself at the scene when she was getting picked up to go to Knebworth and she was wearing little round tinted sunglasses... I had a pair of those and I spent most of 1994-1996 in band tees and baggy jeans also.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    No comments on this weeks ep? I'm really enjoying this now, glad I gave it a chance.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Muze wrote: »
    Still don't like it.

Self harm doesn't need any more attention or glamorising and the whole thing is terribly unrealistic.

:(

Whilst I agree it certainly doesn't need glamourising (although I don't think the show does in the slightest) I think it Definatley needs more attention.

I self harmed from 11 up until college, took od's and needed treatment. Now I'm in a better place and I just qualified as a psychiatric nurse this year (yay me). I think the way mad fat diary handles self harm is in a honest but still delicate way and I find it refreshing that characters struggling with mental health problems are portrayed as still normal people, rather than the stereotypical 'psychos' other media suggests.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    I think it's getting better each week. The first few episodes were a bit over the top with the characters in my opinion (maybe just the moody and judgemental Rae), but they're finding their feet now.

I really hope Rae gets with that boy. I had exactly the same experiences with boys in school, I'd like them but never do anything because I couldn't ever imagine they'd be interested in me, then my friend would take a liking and do something and they'd live happily ever after for a few months.
  • Lola UKLola UK Posts: 3,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love it! love finn! should get the recognition it deserves.
  • yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm another fan. wish my psychiatrist was as cute as Rae's though.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I am liking it as well, makes me long for the 90's when I was a college and uni!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I first saw the trailer I thought it looked like a load of rubbish. I gave it a watch and have been hooked since then. Again, I can relate to parts of Rae's life and maybe that's why I liked it so much.
    Hope that Rae and Finn end up together, I really like the chemistry they have.
    Forum Member
    When I first saw the trailer I thought it looked like a load of rubbish. I gave it a watch and have been hooked since then. Again, I can relate to parts of Rae's life and maybe that's why I liked it so much.
    Hope that Rae and Finn end up together, I really like the chemistry they have.

BIB- I thought the same and have completely changed my opinion.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this week's episode was my favourite so far, that or the Knebworth one. I suppose I'm biased because of more screen-time for Danny Two Hats, but I really enjoyed this lastest ep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this show.

For me it mostly about the music, I was at sixth form in 1996 and just love to hear the old songs I had forgotten about.

The story line is good, Rae is a well written character, her teenage angst makes me glad I will not have to return to that age ever again!
  • The22ndRachelThe22ndRachel Posts: 652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    i'm another fan. wish my psychiatrist was as cute as Rae's though.

I keep expecting to see a second face at the back of his head... Or for him to whip out a purple turban and wear that :D:D:D
  • Lola UKLola UK Posts: 3,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep expecting to see a second face at the back of his head... Or for him to whip out a purple turban and wear that :D:D:D

OMG Quirrel! :eek::eek::eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muze wrote: »
    Still don't like it.

Self harm doesn't need any more attention or glamorising and the whole thing is terribly unrealistic.

:(
    Yes it does, not talking about problems doesn't mean they don't go away.

I still self harm mainly hair pulling these days but I have no eyelashes. I see myself in Rae a lot... it took me a long time and many years to get to the place I am now in my head as I had a mental breakdown and was in a unit for a time when I was a teen too.

And none of my problems got solved by attention not being brought to them. Ignoring them never helped.

i like how Izzy was wearing at Rae's house Cher from Clueless's look, because that was all the rage in the 90s :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Yes it does, not talking about problems doesn't mean they don't go away.

I still self harm mainly hair pulling these days but I have no eyelashes. I see myself in Rae a lot... it took me a long time and many years to get to the place I am now in my head as I had a mental breakdown and was in a unit for a time when I was a teen too.

And none of my problems got solved by attention not being brought to them. Ignoring them never helped.

i like how Izzy was wearing at Rae's house Cher from Clueless's look, because that was all the rage in the 90s :D

Agree, and it also provides a great conversation starter to tell somebody they've have been self harming. Self harm needs a lot more of attention than it's getting.

I wonder if they'll do a second series :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    Lola UK wrote: »
    OMG Quirrel! :eek::eek::eek:

OMG! Can't believe I didn't notice! :eek:
    Forum Member
    indie.star wrote: »
    OMG! Can't believe I didn't notice! :eek:

You're not the only one!
  • BigDuckBigDuck Posts: 4,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was an amazing episode, it was interesting to see the focus on Tix. I wonder if she'll survive next week...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    I know we're supposed to feel sorry for her but I can't help but find Tix annoying. :o

Also I thought it was unrealistic that if she is suffering from an eating disorder they would let her have that exercise thing in her room and not check that she's actually drinking those shakes.
  • Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    Loving this show, getting better each week. Cant believe its such a short series... Anyone know hows its done ratings wise?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last one next week, I'll miss Rae :(
  • MolokoMoloko Posts: 7,871
    Forum Member
    This show has become a victim of poor, misleading marketing, which is a shame, as had Channel 4 not made it look pretentious and fluffy, it would have gotten wider exposure and even more positive responses. Hopefully based on the good reviews amongst critics and fans the powers that be recommission this programme.
  • off the pageoff the page Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I love this too.

I was a teenager a decade in the 80s, but it still feels like a totally true portrayal of the pain and the fun of those years.

Makes me want to be a teenager again - and makes me never want to be one again at the same time!

Really hope it gets another series and the recognition it deserves. Much better than the over-hyped (style-over-substance) Utopia.