Options

HTC Nexus 9 Tablet

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is probably a little too expensive to be an instant purchase but it is tempting. I'll have to see how rich I'm feeling after Xmas. My 2012 N7 is OK but the battery isn't what it used to be and it occasionally locks up.

No interest in the N6 though as it is far too big. Still happy with my N4 and my next phone is likely to be either the N5 or one of the Motorola models.
  • Options
    carguy143carguy143 Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have an idea roughly what time we can likely expect the Nexus 9 to appear for pre order in the UK?
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.pcper.com/news/Mobile/Google-Nexus-9-Powered-NVIDIA-Tegra-K1-Denver-64-bit-SoC

"and actually runs a custom instruction set that gets translated to ARMv8 in real-time.

A software layer and 128MB cache enhance the Dynamic Code Optimization technology by allowing the processor to examine and optimize the ARM code, convert it to the custom instruction set, and further cache the converted microcode of frequently used applications in a cache (which can be bypassed for infrequently processed code). Using the wider execution engine and Dynamic Code Optimization (which is transparent to ARM developers and does not require updated applications), NVIDIA touts the dual Denver core Tegra K1 as being at least as powerful as the quad and octo-core packing competition."

Funny, it sort of reminds me of Thumb, but just maybe it just caches the most used snippets of code? Confusing.

A 4/3 CRT shape screen is rather silly. It sounds like a cost cut exercise of the 2560 x 1600 Nexus 10.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know which UK retailers are selling the Nexus 9 or have it for pre-order???
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon de has the 16gb up for 399 euros (317 ukp), would guess the UK site will have it listed later today.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume neither the N6 or N9 have card slots?

I was wondering why this was, given that the latest KitKat (and then Android L) really has locked down the memory card for security purposes, meaning it would now seem perfectly safe to put a card slot in.

I know Google had other reasons given some time ago, but I do think that Google is missing a trick here. Does Google really want to have to be like Apple/Samsung have start having loads of different options (memory storage mixed with different colours).
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    I assume neither the N6 or N9 have card slots?

UPDATE / EDIT: The Nexus 9 does NOT have upgradable memory.

Which means both devices are an epic fail for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a way it's a good thing (financially speaking!). I'll keep my N5 and N7 and wait to see what comes from Sony and others early next year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very strange. They said pre-orders start 17th October.

On Google's site for Nexus 9 there's nothing showing at all. That's half the day already gone.

You have other Amazon websites who have it for pre-order yet nothing on Amazon UK.

Bit of a balls-up.
  • Options
    800ster800ster Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    Has been on pre-order on Amazon UK for a few hours. Need to search for Nexus 8.9. Guess Play Store will be in line with a US pacific time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    800ster wrote: »
    Has been on pre-order on Amazon UK for a few hours. Need to search for Nexus 8.9. Guess Play Store will be in line with a US pacific time.

Thanks, found it. I was typing in nexus 9. If you type in htc 8.9 it will appear.

16GB - £319
    32GB - £399
    32GB LTE - £459

Free delivery but very steep pricing. Don't like the thought of having to fork out £400 for 32GB.
  • Options
    flynnflynn Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the replacement for the Nexus 10, and priced accordingly...
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Thanks, found it. I was typing in nexus 9. If you type in htc 8.9 it will appear.

16GB - £319
    32GB - £399
    32GB LTE - £459

Free delivery but very steep pricing. Don't like the thought of having to fork out £400 for 32GB.

If I was going to get one, I'd get the LTE. Save me having to pay for a mi fi.
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »

16GB - £319
    32GB - £399
    32GB LTE - £459

Ouch, the pricing is certanly steep, but how does it compare to other tablets?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    The problem Google have with the N6/N9 is that people have become accustomed to their Android devices being cheaper than Apple/Samsung etc. Quite a lot cheaper in fact. Now Google have stepped up the quality, the price has gone up, but a lot don't like it.

The N9 is a very well spec'd tablet - much better than anything Apple have to offer under £400 in my opinion, and HTC are a tier 1 manufacturer. It's going to be interesting to see how these sell, but they are still by far the best way to experience native Android. I suspect if Google had gone ahead with their 'Silver' line, this is the price point they'd have been hitting anyway, so the Nexus has just filled that gap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    err No.

The price is identical to the original Nexus 10.
    And with several billion extra transistors in the GPU it is quite an upgrade.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    UPDATE / EDIT: The Nexus 9 does NOT have upgradable memory.

Which means both devices are an epic fail for me.

hmm that's disappointing, I wonder if you will be able to attach a USB drive though?

This looks like a great device though.

I think I would only consider a Nexus android device now, having been stung with an Asus tablet that is still on Android 4.2 - the only way i'm going to get a software update is to buy a new tablet >:(>:(

For anyone interested, this seems to be the only decent video of the device so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKUn31YkOU4
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For anyone interested, this seems to be the only decent video of the device so far. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKUn31YkOU4

Thanks for the video link.

It really does look bigger than the Nexus 7 (obvious i know!) but i'm surprised at how bigger the 8.9 tablet looks compared to the 7inch.

Anyway, i've bit the bullet and pre-ordered. If i don't like it i can always return it for a refund and stick with my Nexus 7 (2013) which will receive Android 5.0 in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the 32GB was £350-360 I would of bit.

An £80 charge for an extra 16gb of memory is too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    An £80 charge for an extra 16gb of memory is too much.

One bit of Apple you don't want to copy. Shame on Google really.

The LTE model version comes with a pretty big premium too.
  • Options
    BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    One bit of Apple you don't want to copy. Shame on Google really.

Can we PLEASE not turn this thread into another tedious Apple vs Google argument? :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wasn't a lead to that at all. Just a comment on the excessive pricing for more storage space.

Replace Apple with Samsung if you prefer. Point was, Google didn't used to do it when the Nexus line was designed primarily for developers.

I'm not sure this move to make Nexus stand on its own two feet, and compete at the top end with top prices is going to work. But I'll wait to be shown as wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, the Jury in me is out on this nVidia Denver.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/04/nvidia_transmeta_x86/

So, just like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmeta_Efficeon it "employs a software engine to convert code written for x86 processors to the native instruction set of the chip"

But not x86, they gave up on that and switched the design to ARM code conversion.
    I do wonder, with a change to the software engine, could it also become an x86 chip ?
  • Options
    Aldridge AndyAldridge Andy Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    I hate to say this as someone who moved from Apple to Nexus, but the whole idea of Nexus was awesome technology at a great price. The Nexus 5 was a great example of that.

Now with the Nexus 9 and suspected Nexus 6 pricing they are wading in to Apple's pricing territory and I have a feeling that for me and few others Apple will win.

I have no idea how and when pricing is set, but this could be the downfall of the Nexus 2014 range.