Options

Multivitamin tablets - do they make any difference to your health?

phasesphases Posts: 255
Forum Member
Multivitamin tablets - do they make any difference to your health? Do you take multivitamin tablets? Been thinking whether it's worth taking them. How have they fared in comparison to when you didn't take them?

Comments

• Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for me, i'd put them in the same bracket as homoeopathy, or snake oil.
    if they give you a placebo affect then fill yer boots, but you don't see doctors prescribing said tablets.
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    for me, i'd put them in the same bracket as homoeopathy, or snake oil.
    if they give you a placebo affect then fill yer boots, but you don't see doctors prescribing said tablets.

Well a doctor may recommend a certain vitamin if said patient is deficient in it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Resonance wrote: »
    Well a doctor may recommend a certain vitamin if said patient is deficient in it.

yes but it'll be prescribed though
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    eat properly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes but it'll be prescribed though

Well yes, but I'm just pointing out the vitamins aren't necessarily snake oil.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well yes, but I'm just pointing out the vitamins aren't necessarily snake oil.

the OP said "Multivitamin tablets", not vitamins.
    properly prescribed tablets from a doctor clearly have a use.
    those tubs of Multivitamin tablets you see on the shelf in tesco are snake oil IMO.
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take glucosamine as a supplement, gp did not tell me to stop when we discussed as I do notice my arthritis worse when I stop it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phepia wrote: »
    I take glucosamine as a supplement, gp did not tell me to stop when we discussed as I do notice my arthritis worse when I stop it.

glucosamine is just a nutritional supplement.
    you could get the same outcome by adjusting your diet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the OP said "Multivitamin tablets", not vitamins.
    properly prescribed tablets from a doctor clearly have a use.
    those tubs of Multivitamin tablets you see on the shelf in tesco are snake oil IMO.

Multivitamin tablets contain vitamins. Vitamins are not snake oil, that's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Multivitamin tablets contain vitamins. Vitamins are not snake oil, that's all I'm saying.

your opinions varies from mine, but that's cool.
    the OP asked for opinions.
  • Options
    James_MayJames_May Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vitamins and minerals are vital in maintaining good health, no question about that, but the majority of foods you eat are fortified so unless you have a deficiency or malabsorption problem, you should be getting your required intake through a good balanced diet.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,516
    Forum Member
    James_May wrote: »
    Vitamins and minerals are vital in maintaining good health, no question about that, but the majority of foods you eat are fortified so unless you have a deficiency or malabsorption problem, you should be getting your required intake through a good balanced diet.

That's rather the point - taking multi-vitamins means less bother maintaining a good balanced diet.

I'm also rather dubious about "the majority of foods you eat are fortified", I wouldn't have thought so - particularly if you're on a 'good balanced diet'.
  • Options
    phepiaphepia Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A quick search said that you get it from shellfish.
    What do you do if you don't like fish, or can't afford the extortionate prices for shellfish (£10 for a lobster in local market in Birmingham yesterday! )
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're deficient in something then take a supplement, otherwise there is no need. I have to take high doses of iron to prevent anemia, but that's for medical reasons not because my diet is lacking.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What foods are high in glucosamine? I didn't think there were any. It comes from the shells of crabs, lobsters etc, or from bones and cartilage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phepia wrote: »
    A quick search said that you get it from shellfish.
    What do you do if you don't like fish, or can't afford the extortionate prices for shellfish (£10 for a lobster in local market in Birmingham yesterday! )

It's just the shells, there is very little in the meat. Unless you're eating the shells, you won't be getting any significant quantity of glucosamine.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Multivitamin tablets - do they make any difference to your health?

The ideal would be getting all the vitamins from a healthy, nutritious diet but a standard multivitamin and mineral supplement from the supermarket won't do any harm at all and it will ensure that you're getting a good supply of necessary micronutrients. The things to be wary of are the claims made for mega-dose vitamin supplements and I'd suggest steering well clear of them unless you're explicitly advised to take them by your GP.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, if you are deficient in certain vitamins/minerals.

Some people take them for 'general good health' but it really can be nothing other than a massive waste of money if you already eat properly and get enough light.

I don't get enough sunlight (Vitamin D), Vitamin C or B12 so I take them for this reason. I work nights so I live in the dark and generally just eat takeaways :D
  • Options
    culturemancultureman Posts: 11,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    Yes, if you are deficient in certain vitamins/minerals.

Some people take them for 'general good health' but it really can be nothing other than a massive waste of money if you already eat properly and get enough light.

I don't get enough sunlight (Vitamin D), Vitamin C or B12 so I take them for this reason. I work nights so I live in the dark and generally just eat takeaways :D

They cost less than 2p each when bought from a pound shop. At about 50 pence a month most people wouldn't consider that a budget breaker.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    They cost less than 2p each when bought from a pound shop. At about 50 pence a month most people wouldn't consider that a budget breaker.

I didn't realise they sold them at the pound-shops. I must admit, I'd be dubious of their credentials ;-)

I get mine from ASDA, 90 days for £3 or £4 I think.

Sure, they aren't expensive, but never the less you may as well just throw away that £3 in to a bin if you eat a normal balanced diet and get adequate sunlight.

Many multivitamins are far more expensive.
  • Options
    dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My immune system is compromised due to a condition I have, so I take a multivitamin.

I also have a knee that needs replacing (due to 11 years of caring for a disabled child) but they won't do it yet due to my age (i'm in my mid 30's) and because it's not bad enough yet. I take glucosamine sulphate for that.

I am rarely ill and my knee is in much less pain than it was before I started on the glucosamine.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people don't absorb nutrients very well. Mal-absorption syndromes and the like.

As people age they don't utilise nutrients very well.

During periods of ill health a person might be off their food.

A young fit healthy person might not need such things. Good for you!
    If the OP was talking in a broader sense of "supplements", then there is no doubt that certain supplements can be very beneficial for certain conditions that the medical profession couldn't really care less about.

Also in the UK a vitamin D supplement might be a good idea outside of the summer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phases wrote: »
    Multivitamin tablets - do they make any difference to your health? Do you take multivitamin tablets? Been thinking whether it's worth taking them. How have they fared in comparison to when you didn't take them?

My husband takes them daily and cod liver oil. He doesn't seem to get ill as much as I do or coughs, colds fever etc

I don't take them and often feel run down and my husband always gives me some to take with orange juice and after a few days I perk up.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After I last had a heavy cold I started taking Vitamin C tablets in addition to Multivitamin tablets. As I have rarely had much of a cold since, and fewer mouth ulcers, they might be effective.
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    far from making you healthy taking vitamin supplements increases your cancer risk. Studies listed in this article

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/opinion/sunday/dont-take-your-vitamins.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0