Options

Call The Midwife

Comments

• Options
    neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So sad and reminds me of a challenge of telling a story in just six words. The one that stuck with me was.
    "Baby boots for sale. Never worn"

Baby showers seem to be gaining popularity over here now but I am not sure that they are a good idea. I don't like to give a baby gift until the baby has arrived. It isn't superstition as much as not wanting to give the parents something that they have to make a difficult decision about if it is not a happy outcome.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    It's back to ensemble rather than too character specific. It opens up new stories having cast changes. For me this has always been about the midwifery stories.

I love the midwiifery side of it but liked the familiar feel of the midwives too
  • Options
    attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Trixie doesn't agree to that.

I'm worried that Trixie is going to leave at the end of the series :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    So sad and reminds me of a challenge of telling a story in just six words. The one that stuck with me was.
    "Baby boots for sale. Never worn"

Baby showers seem to be gaining popularity over here now but I am not sure that they are a good idea. I don't like to give a baby gift until the baby has arrived. It isn't superstition as much as not wanting to give the parents something that they have to make a difficult decision about if it is not a happy outcome.

That's understandable I think - but surely stillbirth is fairly uncommon, especially these days?
    I don't know the statistics but I would hope so.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    Don't understand the last sentence- the earlier the better, surely?

absolutely! Before scanning it was x rays which I had several due to confusion of dates. I often wonder what damage for the future for my at present healthy 38yr old daughter . I just hope we are the lucky ones and get away with nothing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    If/when they get married Trixie will have to forfeit her career and won't be allowed to carry on working.

Really? Is there no chance she would have carried on working in the 50s?
  • Options
    AgentPAgentP Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    HALibutt wrote: »
    That's understandable I think - but surely stillbirth is fairly uncommon, especially these days?
    I don't know the statistics but I would hope so.

Unfortunately not. 11 babies in the UK are stillborn every single day and a further 6 die within the first 4 weeks of life. The UK's stillbirth rate is among the worst in the developed world

I'm finding this series so far to be better than the previous one though I think Cynthia is a big loss to the programme.
  • Options
    Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AgentP wrote: »
    Unfortunately not. 11 babies in the UK are stillborn every single day and a further 6 die within the first 4 weeks of life. The UK's stillbirth rate is among the worst in the developed world

I'm finding this series so far to be better than the previous one though I think Cynthia is a big loss to the programme.

Women just don't really talk about it. My friend had to deliver her stillborn baby at 41+ weeks, it was horrendous for her and all her family and friends. It's more common than we think. I can't imagine much worse and the baby's funeral (thank goodness nowadays they can have funerals) was the worst funeral I've ever been to. And she was encouraged to see and hold the baby. When my mum had two late miscarriages in the late 60's the babies were taken away immediately, she didn't even know if they were boys or girls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oh blimey. Thanks for the info. I didn't realise it was that bad.
    That's very sad.
    I wonder why this country is so bad then in particular?
    I had assumed it was something that would be improving nowadays.
  • Options
    Kayjay2405Kayjay2405 Posts: 886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? Is there no chance she would have carried on working in the 50s?

I think it was compulsory to leave on marriage up until sometime in the 50's/early 60's?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kayjay2405 wrote: »
    Women just don't really talk about it. My friend had to deliver her stillborn baby at 41+ weeks, it was horrendous for her and all her family and friends. Then other women began telling her about their experiences. It's more common than we think. I can't imagine much worse and the baby's funeral (thank goodness nowadays they can have funerals) was the worst funeral I've ever been to.

That's awful. I can't begin to imagine how bad it must be. I'm having trouble just getting my head around it.
  • Options
    AgentPAgentP Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Oh blimey. Thanks for the info. I didn't realise it was that bad.
    I wonder why this country is so bad then in particular?

There are groups working to find ways to reduce the number. Routine scanning later in pregnancy, personalised measurement charts, monitoring of and reporting changes in movements. All sorts of research and studies into ways to decrease deaths. It was interesting that Abigail talked about her baby being quiet - there's a big push to get women to tell their midwives if the pattern of their baby's movements change so hopefully people watching tonight might take that on board.

Desperately sad but I was glad to see the little service for the baby at the end. I'm also glad attitudes have chdnged regarding the loss of babies and that parents are now encouraged to see their baby and say goodbye.
  • Options
    FanielleFanielle Posts: 1,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we've advanced in maternity care at the same rate as some other countries. Once you have your 20 weeks scan, a tape measure, a doppler, and a wee sample is all we really have.

We need a maternity unit should we require a scan, whereas some of the more advanced countries have them in doctors offices.

Personally, I feel that routine testing for GBS would also decrease the amount of babies that die either in the womb or shortly after birth. It's routinely tested for in most countries, just not ours unfortunately. And the information available to mums is pretty none existent unless you know to look it up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are groups working to find ways to reduce the number. Routine scanning later in pregnancy, personalised measurement charts, monitoring of and reporting changes in movements. All sorts of research and studies into ways to decrease deaths. It was interesting that Abigail talked about her baby being quiet - there's a big push to get women to tell their midwives if the pattern of their baby's movements change so hopefully people watching tonight might take that on board.

Desperately sad but I was glad to see the little service for the baby at the end. I'm also glad attitudes have chdnged regarding the loss of babies and that parents are now encouraged to see their baby and say goodbye.

Yes I found that bit strange - that they didn't get to look at their little girl.
    I suppose in those days it just wasn't something that was done - maybe the thinking then was that it could distress the parents more - but I'm glad it's different now.
    At least they got to name her and have that little service to say goodbye.
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dimsie wrote: »
    I really enjoyed tonight's episode, in a sad sort of way. Beautifully acted, as always. Can't imagine what it must be like to have a stillborn baby.

I cried buckets, firstly because my mother gave birth at 5 months to a live baby but they just put it on the side as there was nothing they could do back then (1948). Then whilst trying to expel the afterbirth, the nurse realised there was a second baby which also didn't survive. Mum asked if she could look at them and they said they weren't supposed to but let her have a peek.
    Move on 50 years and mum's granddaughter was expecting twins and one didn't make it. It was my sister's daughter and she has still not really come to terms with it.
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :o

What year did they start giving you ultrasound baby scans?

Anyone know? :confused:

My aunt had a baby in 1979 and was given a scan in a big teaching hospital. It must have been a new thing then as she said that all the available nurses were asked to come and look because most of them hadn't seen a ultrasound scan of a baby taking place. It all seems quite unbelievable now that someone wouldn't know that they were expecting twins but that's how it was then. Just before I was due to come into the world in the 1950's, my mother was told that she might be having twins and was booked in for an x-ray. Very fortunately, I was born on the day that she was supposed to have the x-ray (I wasn't one of twins, but was round the wrong way, so that may have been why they thought there might be two babies.)

I had a ultra sound scan of my baby in the 1980's but am disappointed that we weren't given a chance to have a photo of the scan like they do now.

I think this series of CTM is so far much better that the last series and seems to have gone back to basics. I am so glad that Chummy isn't in it at present and hope she doesn't come back for some time. She was just so unreal, "over the top" and silly with her talk of "young sir" etc and her jollly hockey sticks ways. It was making the programme more like a comedy than a piece of social history.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree but they are setting her up for a new story when she comes back.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chummy was too overpowering and a little ridiculous at times so glad that other characters are getting spotlighted now, we haven't seen much at all of the personal life or emotions of Sister Julienne and Patsy so this episode was very welcome.

Agreed and her story is told. Good that the character is taking a break.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also find this series to be better so far than last series as they weave personal stories in with history of medical care in UK. Nice balance this series.
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    I think it was compulsory to leave on marriage up until sometime in the 50's/early 60's?

Chummy is married and working but Vicar Tom might be more traditional than Sargent Noakes.
  • Options
    jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't watch live last night, have caught up with the episode this morning whilst getting ready for work. I don't mind admitting, I cried buckets - which was a bit embarrassing because then the electrician turned up at 8am to disconnect my old cooker! (Said cooker went 'bang' big style last weekend, new one can't be delivered until this Thursday - totally fed up of things that can go in the microwave!) I don't know who felt more awkward, me or him - even explaining, "I'm just watching Call the Midwife from last night - and it's a bit sad" just made me sound pathetic!

Stories like the stillbirth last night can't help but touch women in a special way - we're the mums/potential mums and certainly from my point of view (having lost one baby via miscarriage in between my two lovely girls 18 years ago) it stirs up all those old fears you have as a pregnant woman that nothing will go wrong - and I also remembering wishing so hard that the baby I'd lost would have a miraculous twin no one had spotted, but of course that was just my desperation and grief manifesting itself in vain hope.

But times have changed, as others have pointed out - back then they really didn't think it was best to let the mum see the stillborn baby - it happened to the mother of someone I know in 1965. One poster said they didn't like seeing the baby girl 'plonked' down on the draining board, but I didn't see Patsy 'plonk' the baby down (plonking, to me, suggests being thrust down with no care) she did lay it down gently and tenderly just recover it with the towel it was wrapped in). And, as someone else said, back in those days the focus was on the living first in those situations, then they dealt with the rest. It just seems harsh to our 21st century sensibilities, but it would have been 'normal' back then.

Loving this new series - like many others, I wasn't fussed about Jenny Lee, and I've invested in the concept of the programme and the stories it tells, not really individual actors in it. There are some I would be sorry to see leave, but if the story-telling is strong enough, and the cast can do justice to those stories, then it matters less if the faces change.

Right, off to work, having dried my eyes and waved off the electrician. I teach English to GCSE students, and I'm half wondering whether to go 'off piste' today and use that six word story idea today... it would make for a very powerful lesson.
  • Options
    MerityMerity Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this show - but does anyone know if Sister Evangelina comes back after the operation? She hasnt left the show has she? :(

She is one of my favourite characters!
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I liked the fact that all of the characters had a storyline last night. In the last series there was too much focus on Jenny, with the others just playing a bit part at times. However, I do miss Chummy and Cynthia (and even Jenny). I think a series like this can take one or two departures, but when several characters leave at once it loses something. I hope Pam Ferris isn't also taking a break from the programme.
  • Options
    GoinGagaGoinGaga Posts: 3,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women just don't really talk about it. My friend had to deliver her stillborn baby at 41+ weeks, it was horrendous for her and all her family and friends. It's more common than we think. I can't imagine much worse and the baby's funeral (thank goodness nowadays they can have funerals) was the worst funeral I've ever been to. And she was encouraged to see and hold the baby. When my mum had two late miscarriages in the late 60's the babies were taken away immediately, she didn't even know if they were boys or girls.

That's absolutely awful :( I suppose their thinking was it was kinder to not allow any further bonding with mother and baby perhaps. It seems like such a cold and heartless thing to do nowadays though.

As for this series, it's the best one yet so far. I know it's early days but I've enjoyed every minute of the first two episodes. I also like the new additions to the cast.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member

Compulsory for who to leave what? chummy's still working and married with a baby:confused: