Options

The Fast Diet - do you actually have to fast?

rewindrewind Posts: 2,636
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Today is my second day of doing The Fast Diet. I have got the book and have skim read it but understand the basic principles. I have plumped for doing it on a Monday and a Wednesday.

As I am at work (I had porridge at 8am and am now feeling hungry!), I can't check the book so was wondering do you actually have to fast completely between the period you have chosen? I have decided to have breakfast at around 8 - 9am each day and then dinner at 7.30 - 8.30pm in the evening. Do I have to eat NOTHING during this period or am I allowed to eat as long as my total calorie consumption for today doesn't go over 600?

I am going to try and be good and ignore the hunger and not eat anything until tonight but was just wondering!

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can have a snack yes, although to get the most benefits they recommend you fast for the longest period you can because there's where most of the other benefits come from.

Ease into the diet slowly if you want because the body does need time to adjust since it's a big change for it to get used to. By all means have some protein or whatever you are craving but they do recommend staying off starchy carbs for a fasting day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Area88 wrote: »
    You can have a snack yes, although to get the most benefits they recommend you fast for the longest period you can because there's where most of the other benefits come from.

Ease into the diet slowly if you want because the body does need time to adjust since it's a big change for it to get used to. By all means have some protein or whatever you are craving but they do recommend staying off starchy carbs for a fasting day.

Thanks. I will try and resist temptation! A black coffee might help later!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    rewind wrote: »
    Thanks. I will try and resist temptation! A black coffee might help later!

how did you get on ?

I can't go without food as i get moody lol..also is this the 5.2 diet ?

do they really work ? or do you pile it all on again
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,641
    Forum Member
    After years of just eating what I fancied and not doing any real exercise, I found my body looking distinctly 'middle aged' :eek: So about 6 weeks ago i decided to count calories rather than fast (tried but couldn't maintain it) I have been surpised at just how many calories some food - like cheese, contains. But equally, find that I can include 'naughties' like jam doughnuts (205 cals) and some biscuits/crackers. Tesco's own brand oaty crackers are only 65 cals for 4. I'm trying to aim for 1000 cals per day, although it's often over that but under1400. I have consistantly lost weight and my trousers are hanging very loosely :p I feel I could continue like this forever as I am not feeling deprived, just got a hang on really high calorie foods and avoid them or work them into my daily count.
    No cheese or Lurpak (have changed to Flora light and very sparing) Have always loved fruit - so that's what I have when I get that annoying ' I fancy something'. :rolleyes:
    Good luck to those who have fasting days - you have my full admiration. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    how did you get on ?

I can't go without food as i get moody lol..also is this the 5.2 diet ?

do they really work ? or do you pile it all on again

It went well thanks! :) Only done two days so far (last Monday and Wednesday) and had the following each day:

8am - Porridge
    8pm - M&S Fuller For Longer Dinner (under 500 calories)

And it wasn't too bad! Yes I was hungry at lunchtime and the afternoon but worked through it.

Definitely going to keep it up and see if I see any results.
  • Options
    GrandPlains206GrandPlains206 Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    After years of just eating what I fancied and not doing any real exercise, I found my body looking distinctly 'middle aged' :eek: So about 6 weeks ago i decided to count calories rather than fast (tried but couldn't maintain it) I have been surpised at just how many calories some food - like cheese, contains. But equally, find that I can include 'naughties' like jam doughnuts (205 cals) and some biscuits/crackers. Tesco's own brand oaty crackers are only 65 cals for 4. I'm trying to aim for 1000 cals per day, although it's often over that but under1400. I have consistantly lost weight and my trousers are hanging very loosely :p I feel I could continue like this forever as I am not feeling deprived, just got a hang on really high calorie foods and avoid them or work them into my daily count.
    No cheese or Lurpak (have changed to Flora light and very sparing) Have always loved fruit - so that's what I have when I get that annoying ' I fancy something'. :rolleyes:
    Good luck to those who have fasting days - you have my full admiration. :)

Well done on your weight loss!This is the best way to do it and not some silly fad diet! A little bit of what you fancy is the best way forward because if you deprive yourself of something you will want it more and more in the end and wont be able to stop! #

I would not worry to much about calorie counting.Though if you do I would say 1000 calories a day is no where near enough.