Options

Do you use Youtube walkthroughts for games?

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the title says do you use the Youtube guides? Sometimes the people presenting the videos have good humour and it's worth following along. :D

Comments

• Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Nope. I like to play the game and find out things for myself.

I do use IGN guides for cleaning up all the side stuff tho.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never for a first play-through. I want to find and discover things for myself. Once I like the look of a game from seeing E3 trailers or something I rarely watch any other footage until I have played the game through once.

But I do refer to videos when playing a second play-through for collectables and trophy hunting.
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch walkthroughs under 2 circumstances, 1. I don't want a game but fancy seeing it, 2. I get stuck and need some help with a section/puzzle or whatever.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Park done a scene where people were watching videos rather than playing the games. Found it quite funny.
  • Options
    Dan27Dan27 Posts: 9,652
    Forum Member
    Mostly not, but I do for some boss fights to get hints.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    South Park done a scene where people were watching videos rather than playing the games. Found it quite funny.

Yeah they had a two episode arc about it. It was more a piss take on live streaming rather than walkthroughs. It was quite good.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It depends. Sometimes I do if I'm really stuck but normally I prefer to play and figure it out myself. I used to use walkthrough books for Pokemon because some of the maps were really complicated (don't get me started on those dungeon areas! :o). I still have a whole shelf full of the books.
  • Options
    the ocelotthe ocelot Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    There are times where I look at WTs just to compare how good/bad I did at certain parts. Sad I know.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It depends on who is doing the narrating.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I might use them to get a tricky Trophy or Achievement, but I don't use them as a general walkthrough.
  • Options
    Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if online walkthroughs are very vague or aren't clear about something and I need an extra push in the right direction.
  • Options
    WellHiddenMarkWellHiddenMark Posts: 1,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got so bored of The Last of Us about a third of the way in that I watched the remaining part of the game on YouTube.

The gameplay mechanics - possibly the most appallingly bad stealth I've ever seen - made me want to rip my own teeth out.

The rest of the story was meh.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll only watch a play through if I have completed a game or I know if it's a game I won't play.
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Not usually as I like to get my money's worth out of games. Exceptions are finding the shines/coins in Mario games. And tips on beating the bosses in terraria.

And I dare anyone to complete discworld, without some kind of walk through.
  • Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not usually but I did in Final Fantasy IX. Those dungeons were just not fun for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rubrical wrote: »
    Not usually but I did in Final Fantasy IX. Those dungeons were just not fun for me.

What ? That game was simple. One of the easier Final Fantasies.
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, if I'm stuck. How soon I seek out something to help me depends on how patient I am feeling on that particular day.

I find the type of game I'm stuck on also plays a factor. If it's something where I feel the game is more about execution but figuring out what to do is supposed to be easy then I'll look for a walkthrough more quickly if in fact I can't figure out what to do. If it's something like a point and click game where you've got to combine the corrrect items together or use an item on something else, or a puzzle game including puzzle platformers then I try to hold off longer as the whole point of the game is figuring out what to do.

I used 2 today. 1 to figure out how to get an achievement after I already beat the game. Another because I was having difficulty doing what should have been a straightforward scenario in Train Simulator - I think my game is actually messed up as I have a red light where the person who played the walkthrough didn't and it wants to take me to the wrong platform at my destination station.
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not usually. but i do watch dspgaming quite a lot. watching him fail and do stupid stuff is hilarious
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not if i can help it, I prefer text on my walkthroughs if stuck.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    If the game is mediocre amd I'm playing to get rid of it - sometimes I have no idea what to do next so turn to a walk thru
    Also if its too hard to complete a game like dead space 2 ill watch the end sequence
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    I do not use let's plays if you mean to watch and see how it's done as I work out how to do it myself. But I do watch a lot of them simply for entertainment, especially of games I know I'm either going to never play, or ones I've beaten already. SSoHPKC, and RadBrad are fun and I always watch MajorSlackAttack too. Occasionally I'll watch SysFailure, iJustine, TheCreatures and KathleenEmms depending on what they're playing.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I'll sometimes use them to locate the tricky collectables on Assassin's Creed, or to do some of the puzzles. Especially if I can't be bothered doing the puzzles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    if I intend to play a game again, i'll more than likely use gamefaqs.com for a text based help guide to avoid stupid commentary or people thinking they're funny when im looking for things. and i'll only turn to them as a last resort

I tried to use youtube for a walkthrough and whenever I looked for a video, id get a load of videos to choose from, and then id have to filter through the video, which could be up to 20 mins long and try and find where I was stuck

I recently used youtube to find mask locations on far cry 4 and even they took a long time to get to the point because they went to all the loot chests, propaganda posters etc. before going to the mask.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if I'm really stuck or wanna see a game but not buy it.

Makes me laugh when someone has uploaded what they call a walkthrough but haven't got a clue what they're doing and keep dying over and over again.
  • Options
    RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    What ? That game was simple. One of the easier Final Fantasies.

Yeah, it was fairly simple but I wasn't enjoying it as much as I did the other games. I didn't find many of the random encounters fun, more boring and slow, like a chore.