Options

Radio One trying to block X Factor winner from getting number one?

Lisa WLisa W Posts: 208
Forum Member
I'm not sure which forum this should go in but figured Showbiz might be best.

Do you think that Radio One's censorship and then u turn on Fairytale of new york was all a plan to get some press and news coverage in order for people to download the song and maybe make it top in time for Christmas?

;)

Comments

• Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You cannot be suggesting that it was all a publicity stunt??!! :eek:

Surely not. ;):D
  • Options
    Lisa WLisa W Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    You cannot be suggesting that it was all a publicity stunt??!! :eek:

Surely not. ;):D

Aye. A very good one too. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well if it keeps that ghastly XF song off top spot so much the better.
  • Options
    Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 are morons anyway. I haven't bothered listening to them and their tripe for years. They won't play songs by artists over 35, or something as equally stupid as that :rolleyes: IMO, it's the artists over 35 who are mostly putting out the best music, so Radio 1 play crap. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes they are and theres a lot of people behind them!!
    facebook groups and everything...have to say i'm in one of them-it's about time a song about christmas got christmas number 1 again! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soulmate9 wrote: »
    Radio 1 are morons anyway. I haven't bothered listening to them and their tripe for years. They won't play songs by artists over 35, or something as equally stupid as that :rolleyes: IMO, it's the artists over 35 who are mostly putting out the best music, so Radio 1 play crap. :mad:

Yes, I hate Radio 1 as well.

Totally full of their own self-importance, never mind the fact they play utter crap and to hell with the listeners.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    Hmmmm, I listen to Radio One all day at work and I haven't yet heard them actually play Leon's song...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmmm, I listen to Radio One all day at work and I haven't yet heard them actually play Leon's song...

Something not quite right about Radio 1 maybe its the whole BBC thing... cant put it into words but you're never getting the full picture and I agree they dont seem to care about the listener
  • Options
    Soulmate9Soulmate9 Posts: 7,407
    Forum Member

Totally full of their own self-importance, never mind the fact they play utter crap and to hell with the listeners.

Hasn't it occurred to them the reason why they've lost a couple of million listeners over the years is because they've alienated people who like good music? Nope, arrogant mules.
  • Options
    ShiftyDundeeShiftyDundee Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Soulmate9 wrote: »
    Hasn't it occurred to them the reason why they've lost a couple of million listeners over the years is because they've alienated people who like good music? Nope, arrogant mules.

So you think Leon's single is 'good music' and Fairytale of New York isn't?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they've got any right to "ban" a song just because it isn't to their taste.

Such arrogance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate radio 1. However, all this race to xmas number 1 business is stupid and i don't see why Leon should be number 1 just because hes from X Factor and its "tradition" :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The X Factor has ruined the tradition of the Xmas #1. It used to be a huge thing that everyone looked forward too, so even though I normally loathe radio one I support this campaign if its true .

Leon's song is drivel. Not to mention the fact that he shouldn't have won in the first place, but we have argued this ad-nauseum in the XF forum.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PoohBear7 wrote: »
    I hate radio 1. However, all this race to xmas number 1 business is stupid and i don't see why Leon should be number 1 just because hes from X Factor and its "tradition" :rolleyes:

I agree
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    Radio 1 is total pap. Moyles and Vernon Kay ... says it all really. It's neither down with the kids or fit for adults to enjoy.

I think the Fairytale thing was real, they wouldn't want to demonstrate what total idiots they are on purpose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The X Factor has ruined the tradition of the Xmas #1. It used to be a huge thing that everyone looked forward too, so even though I normally loathe radio one I support this campaign if its true .

Leon's song is drivel. Not to mention the fact that he shouldn't have won in the first place, but we have argued this ad-nauseum in the XF forum.
    Exactly.
    And wouldn't you rather get number 1 because your song was good rather than because you're from X Factor?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Radio 1 is rubbish. But I think X Factor and it's spawn just pips the post as being worse....
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is actually a noble cause from Radio 1, for once. The song is rubbish and...

[highlight]Rhydian was robbed![/highlight]
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    Maybe Radio 1 have blocked the X Factor song because it is dire.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Radio 1 has ever played any of the X Factor songs. Or at least not often.

I don't remember A Moment Like This being played all that much last year, and the same for That's My Goal.

In fairness there's only a week between it being available to play and it charting - I don't know how often their playlist meetings are?

Although if the Pogues argument stops XF making number 1, it's all good really.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have Radio 2 on at work and even they have only played Leon once I've heard (mercifully):cool:
  • Options
    KittyKinsKittyKins Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Leon song is dire, that's why they don't play it.

Utter balls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The song is balls no matter who sings it.

However, people really need to get over this X Factor "fix".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the number one slot was usually "bought" by these crappy reality shows anyway. It's become easy to ignore the Christmas No. 1 single these days because it's usually a crappy reality show product with a massive marketing campaign behind it.

I haven't listened to Radio 1 in years. London-centric; loud, in-your-face presenters with massive egos and shit music. Oh, and audio quality is pretty flat too.

I don't know what the target audience is for Radio 1, but I don't think I was ever a part of it! Come to think of it, I don't tend to listen to the BBC radio stations at all, because R1 is crap, as I mentioned before; R2 seems too "old" for me and I have no interest in classical music or radio plays. 6music is too trendy and obscure for my tastes.
  • Options
    mattshentonmattshenton Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radio 1 is the best station in the country, Moyles,Scott mills both dj'in gods.

Crap-factor shouldn't get a #1,

the xmas #1 should be a festive song not a reality show song or shawn the f'in sheep.

If radio1 ain't your taste just don't listen