The fruit and veg growing thread

1353637383941»

Comments

• sueh21sueh21 Posts: 2,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Little heads up, went into Wilkinsons yesterday and they have Scarlet Emperor beans and early peas for one pound a packet and some nice looking strawberry runners for two pounds.
  • LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I have a gardening blog if anyone is interested? http://sunfloragarden.tumblr.com/ https://twitter.com/sunfloragarden
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    I have a gardening blog if anyone is interested? http://sunfloragarden.tumblr.com/ https://twitter.com/sunfloragarden

thanks Leightonisme for letting us know about your fabulous Blog
    It is really lovely to see how you are making your garden very special ..I will keep popping in to see your lovely garden and what you are all up to .. etc
    (( hugs for your little doggie too )) x
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am growing again this year. A fortnight ago I planted red onions, carrots and parsnips outside. I covered the onions and carrots with poly tunnels.

On my windowsill I have tomatoes and spring onions growing. They will need potting on very soon. I have noticed that not all of them have grown though which is a shame. Out of 20 tomatoes only about 15 have sprouted. And the spring onions haven't done well at all. Out of 72 seeds only about a quarter have grown.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to buy some ready grown plants today. I did that last year and had a great crop of tomatoes, green beans, peas, kale and brocolli and indoor chillies. This year I am thinking of growing pumpkin in the composter. Yes, a composter, a friend did that last year and she had more pumpkins than she could eat in a decade. I suppose I could do that with courgettes since I never seem to have any luck with them in the garden.

I wish the mods would pin this thread, I always have to go into search to find it.
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    I am going to buy some ready grown plants today. I did that last year and had a great crop of tomatoes, green beans, peas, kale and brocolli and indoor chillies. This year I am thinking of growing pumpkin in the composter. Yes, a composter, a friend did that last year and she had more pumpkins than she could eat in a decade. I suppose I could do that with courgettes since I never seem to have any luck with them in the garden.

I wish the mods would pin this thread, I always have to go into search to find it.

The heat that comes off the Compost is really really good for the squash and pumpkin varieties, so I would totally do that to improve your crop numbers :3 I would also have sweet corn in there as well and maybe some legumes of some sorts to help feed the plants!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The heat that comes off the Compost is really really good for the squash and pumpkin varieties, so I would totally do that to improve your crop numbers :3 I would also have sweet corn in there as well and maybe some legumes of some sorts to help feed the plants!!!

Thanks for the tip:)
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hello all! Am attempting a proper growing fest this year.

Currently sprouting are:

3 types of toms (including a plum variety)
    carrots
    spring onions
    spinach
    broad beans
    beetroot

The strawberries, raspberries and redcurrant are all happily blooming, hoping to get a good crop this year!!

Also just had delivered some more seeds so will be popping out later if the weather is nice to plant out:
    purple broccoli (last years crop got eaten... this year I am prepared for the little munching buggers!)
    more spring onions (guardsman this time, the others are the little bulb type)
    pak choi
    aubergine bonica
    peewee peas
    winter squash (uchiki kuri)
    earlybird sweetcorn
    carrots - paris market atlas.. they are little round ones
    cucumber crystal lemon (they are round like lemons! - never grown before!)
    cucamelon - they are the size of grapes and apparently taste like cucumbers with a hint of lime. Again a new one for me! very excited about the cucamelon and crystal lemons!!

:D:D

worked out I saved over £12 on my seeds as I didn't get them from the usual big seed companies, nearly had a heart attack when I saw how much they charge these days. :o

not going to bother with spuds or peppers this year as I never get a decent drop. will try and grow some hot chillis again as as managed to overwinter one that was a slow grower (some very hot variety.. happily flowering on the windowsill as I type)
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toning things down this year as I usually grow far too many tomatoes, chillies and peppers that I can't get into my greenhouse.

This year

- 2 Tomatoes - (1 Sweet Million and 1 Shirley)
    - 3 Chillies (The red hot Dorset Naga)
    - 1 Sweet pepper (Which I can't remember the variety)

My outdoor very small veg patch is just filled this year with Rooster spuds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My tomatoes have started flowering. Pumpkin and squash doing very nicely in the composter. I am hoping I have a good crop of courgettes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my runner beans are doing fine too.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My tomatoes are also flowering and my runners are going great guns. My parsnips are also doing well plus my red/ white / spring onions.

The only thing that is slow are my carrots. I planted Early Nandes (I think that's what they were called) and they have taken an age to start growing. I thought they would be in my belly by now !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My pumpkin and butternut squash doing fantastically. First time in 10 years. I got into garden after buying a house with a garden. I dont know what I'd do without a garden.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picked 2 kilos of runner beans. Pumkins doing great. Tomatoes not so well. Courgettes very badly. Had a bumper crop of strawberries.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gourgettes have picked up. I had a good number.
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    Our golden raspberries are ripe now and are absolutely delicious. Lovely and sweet.
    Forum Member
    Planning on growing Cucamelons next year. Does anyone know what they grow like? eg. Squash, tomatoes ect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone used an electric propagator?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have people stopped growing fruit and veg?
  • katiso41katiso41 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got potatoes, peas and carrots on the go this year, all in big containers.The early tatties are ready and the pea pods are starting to swell.
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not so much this year. Corn salad, some potatoes, plenty of beetroot (the yellow/pale kind not the red), tons of tomatoes as usual. A single pepper plant.

Last year had some pumpkins and beans too (tons of beans, had carrier bags full in the freezer was eating beans, beans and more beans for months)
    bornfree wrote: »
    Has anyone used an electric propagator?

Have in the past get one thats thermostatically controlled not all are. But mostly just start off toms and the like in pots in the greenhouse now. Sowed 'em in May they're now a good 2' feet high.