The Queen could take a lesson or two from Pope Francis

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    AZZURRI 06 wrote: »
    Auf wiedersehen.
    You leaving the thread already? I didn't think you'd concede that quickly.
  • Options
    RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    You leaving the thread already? I didn't think you'd concede that quickly.

Unfortunately he has made a demonstrable fool of himself. Drink taken perhaps?
    I quite liked him until now...
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everything is provided for the Queen, so why does she need such a vast personal fortune? She certainly can`t take it with her.

Already answered in the post you quoted
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of Knighthoods the queen should be handing out iron crosses.

Godwyn's Law strikes again. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The name was changed from Saxe-Goburg Gotha in 1917. Because of anti German sentiment. Also Mountbatten`s real name was Battenburg. Piece of cake really. Putting on a clipped accent and wearing gloves does not change that. Instead of Knighthoods the queen should be handing out iron crosses.

You mean like the one that was given to Pope Benedict for his services to the nazis?
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pickwick wrote: »
    Ah, so the Queen must be British because...you don't want her to be German.

How very...religious that kind of logic is :p

(I think we'd have to ask the Queen what nationality she thinks of herself as, and she doesn't really have the liberty to say, so we'll never know. But I'd guess British. Less sure about Phil though.)

Phil is human like you and me, even though he's rich.

Sometimes he offends people, when he gives his honest opinion, get over it.
  • Options
    User name not foundUser name not found Posts: 3,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    Phil is human

What proof do you have? :p
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What proof do you have? :p

Well, he walks, he talks, just like you and me.:)
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Queen Mother was being shown around a commonwealth country, I think in Africa.

The Presidents wife said to The Queen Mum 'We natives get fed up by being practically told what to do by the English'

Quick as a flash The Queen Mum replied to her 'I know exactly what you mean. Us Scottish feel exactly the same'

:D
  • Options
    spaniel-loverspaniel-lover Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really would like to hear the Pope say that condoms are alright - it's time now.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I would imagine there are a lot of Vatican accountants and cardinals who have gone pale and cold and have set about hiding the family silver as we speak.

I'm interested to hear what Pope Francis's intentions are.

He clearly sees himself as a Vatican outsider, and an advocate for the poor. He could end up being another Pope John XXIII (1958-63)....a seemingly humble man when he got the job, and who was only supposed to be a caretaker Pope but who surprised everyone with his sweeping and radical reforms of the Church.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    I think we had all better wait to see exactly how Pope Francis conducts himself in office over a prolonged period before we can safely say he is in a position to adivse other people in such positions.
  • Options
    amyawakeamyawake Posts: 7,849
    Forum Member
    Let's hope that Pope Francis will take a lesson from his conscience and come clean, i.e. admit to the sexual scandals of Catholic priests. It brings shame on the Catholic religion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jane Doh! wrote: »
    Being against equality is traditional?

Er, yes.
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Cyclist wrote: »
    Er, yes.

How very sad. And backward.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    amyawake wrote: »
    Let's hope that Pope Francis will take a lesson from his conscience and come clean, i.e. admit to the sexual scandals of Catholic priests. It brings shame on the Catholic religion.

Even Pope Benedict did that. He referred to those priests as "filth" within the Church.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Freeman000;64790051Our horrible Monarch, and apparent head of the Church of England, on the other hand, wouldn't be seen dead in anything other than a state-of-the-art 4x4 or limo, paid for by the tax payer. Likewise, not only does she prefer to stay in a palace as opposed to a more modest property, she stays in multiple palaces, funded by the tax payer as opposed to her enormous personal wealth.

Also, can you imagine 'Her Majesty' kissing the feet of AIDS patients? She won't even shake the hand of a commoner without wearing gloves.[/QUOTE]

As head of state she represents the entire nation. It would reflect badly on the British nation if she attended events in a Fiat Punto, always assuming one could be armour plated. That would help relegate us to a lower league resulting in less credibility, less clout, fewer foreign sales, fewer international treaties supporting your pet topics (banning landmines, blood diamonds, child labour...). Privately things are reported to be different and Prince Phillip is rumoured to drive a taxi, not a limo.

As for kissing peoples bits, it is insanitary and nothing good can come of it.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bigot alert.....bigot alert......
    That word has lost all meaning. And besides, that is what the servants of Rome called the Protestants while burning them at the stake.
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, the truth hurts. Of course the ruling classes don`t want to go on too much about it, but the old sponger IS German.

Not like me to stick up for the royals, but her mother was British so surely she can only be half-German?
  • Options
    LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact is the English people were told to follow Henry or have their heads cut off. You have to admit that is a bit more brutal than allowing indulgences.

Henry originally defended the catholic church against the tide of protestantism, he only copped the hump with the pope when he couldn't get his first marriage annulled. His conversion to Protestantism was pragmatic rather than theological.

There was a lot of beheading and burning at the stake on both sides in the 16th century. No-one had a monopoly on that kind of thing.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LakieLady wrote: »
    Henry originally defended the catholic church against the tide of protestantism, he only copped the hump with the pope when he couldn't get his first marriage annulled. His conversion to Protestantism was pragmatic rather than theological.

There was a lot of beheading and burning at the stake on both sides in the 16th century. No-one had a monopoly on that kind of thing.

For every event like the deaths in the taking of the monastries, theres a crusade to march against the heretics, for every Thomas Moore and Cardinal Wolsey, theres the spanish inquisition. And both religions played their part in f3cking this country up
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flowerpowa wrote: »
    Phil is human like you and me, even though he's rich.

Sometimes he offends people, when he gives his honest opinion, get over it.
    ....I only meant he's more Greek than the Queen is German :D

Or is this just an auto-reply you have for whenever someone mentions him?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must say Pope Francis is playing a stormer so far. Paying an impromptu visit to a church in Rome this morning and greeting well wishers, addressing the massive crowd in St.Peter's Square completely off the cuff and without notes, posting messages on Twitter etc.

It seems he will be very much a "Pope of the people".