A frustrated Pixie Lott fan

2»

Comments

• TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Mrs Checks wrote: »
    I think she had some decent songs at the beginning of her career but have always found her presence and voice a bit too 'stage school' personally. She was never the 'hot' girl or the 'kooky' girl she was just kind of... there.

I can understand why she didn't inspire a huge fanbase, then the lack of good material later on made it even worse.

I think the fanbase she has got left (there is one honest!) like her that way though. I like seeing someone more 'normal' rather than the antics of someone like Lady Gaga which gets tiresome after a while.

Her remaining fans seem to love her though, her personality is actually a big part of what made me pay more attention to her as I find her SO likeable... I guess I have unusual taste! ;-)
    Forum Member
    Our predictions have come true - Pixie is appearing in a musical/dance show this summer. Not much info yet but at least one venue seems to have announced it early: http://www.theatreroyal.co.uk/whats-on/puttin-on-the-ritz

Good luck Pixie and I hope this will be a very successful venture for her!

P.S. Thanks to Pashulty on the DS Strictly forum for the heads up on this. :)
  • Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    Our predictions have come true - Pixie is appearing in a musical/dance show this summer. Not much info yet but at least one venue seems to have announced it early: http://www.theatreroyal.co.uk/whats-on/puttin-on-the-ritz

Good luck Pixie and I hope this will be a very successful venture for her!

P.S. Thanks to Pashulty on the DS Strictly forum for the heads up on this. :)

Oh, she's been keeping this quiet :D

This really suits her and she will be able to showcase her ballroom dancing with Trent.

I will be keeping an eye on the tour dates for this. Who knows I might just go and see it. :D
    Forum Member
    I went to see Pixie at one of her intimate shows in London last weekend and got to meet her! :D It made me love her even more, and to be honest that kind of small club venue really suited her... obviously as a fan I'd like to see her do well and perform in bigger venues again, but also I think that she probably works better in this kind of environment where it feels more personal and relaxed.

Anyway, Pixie sounded brilliant live and she was lovely to talk to. :) I was a bit nervous and probably made a bit of an idiot of myself, but she seems to talk like she knows you and puts you at ease. Also think she deserves credit for being such a pro despite doing 4 gigs and at least 1 other promo appearance in 2 days!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to see Pixie at one of her intimate shows in London last weekend and got to meet her! :D It made me love her even more, and to be honest that kind of small club venue really suited her... obviously as a fan I'd like to see her do well and perform in bigger venues again, but also I think that she probably works better in this kind of environment where it feels more personal and relaxed.

Anyway, Pixie sounded brilliant live and she was lovely to talk to. :) I was a bit nervous and probably made a bit of an idiot of myself, but she seems to talk like she knows you and puts you at ease. Also think she deserves credit for being such a pro despite doing 4 gigs and at least 1 other promo appearance in 2 days!

Ah, you managed to get to see at Pizza Express. I would have liked to have gone but I live in east central Scotland, so there was no way......:(

I can imagine she would have done all her well-known songs and to be honest, I'm not surprised about doing the 4 gigs in the 2 days. She is just so enthusiastic :D

However, it is difficult to know if she will be able to do a mini-tour; this was something she did promise a fan via Viber when she was doing the gig to promote her last album. (I watched the gig and Q&A on YouTube)
    Forum Member
    Thom001 wrote: »
    Ah, you managed to get to see at Pizza Express. I would have liked to have gone but I live in east central Scotland, so there was no way......:(

I can imagine she would have done all her well-known songs and to be honest, I'm not surprised about doing the 4 gigs in the 2 days. She is just so enthusiastic :D

However, it is difficult to know if she will be able to do a mini-tour; this was something she did promise a fan via Viber when she was doing the gig to promote her last album. (I watched the gig and Q&A on YouTube)

Shame you couldn't go, it was really good. No idea about a mini tour but she seems mega busy so I'd guess if it happens, it'll be after the next album release, which I guess will be later this year. I know what you mean about the enthusiasm though, and she just keeps smiling, which is quite infectious!

I can't remember the exact setlist but she did Lay Me Down, Mama Do, Broken Arrow, Cry Me Out, Ocean, Nasty, Boys & Girls, Gravity, Caravan of Love, Break Up Song and All About Tonight, plus a few covers. Interesting to see a fairly even spread of songs from the 1st and 3rd albums but just one from the 2nd. Cry Me Out probably got the best reaction from the crowd, as soon as the piano intro started people were getting quite excited!
  • stevie_nixstevie_nix Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    It was blatantly a record label attempt to cash-in on her being on Strictly Come Dancing which didn't quite work out.

Pixie certainly isn't the first person to have a rather premature Hits album; Scouting For Girls have a Greatest Hits album and it went top 10!

Are you a fan of both , pixie and s4g ?
    I agree , she's recently been posting lots of "new music" things on twiiter so hopefully something like album 1 will come around
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame you couldn't go, it was really good. No idea about a mini tour but she seems mega busy so I'd guess if it happens, it'll be after the next album release, which I guess will be later this year. I know what you mean about the enthusiasm though, and she just keeps smiling, which is quite infectious!

I can't remember the exact setlist but she did Lay Me Down, Mama Do, Broken Arrow, Cry Me Out, Ocean, Nasty, Boys & Girls, Gravity, Caravan of Love, Break Up Song and All About Tonight, plus a few covers. Interesting to see a fairly even spread of songs from the 1st and 3rd albums but just one from the 2nd. Cry Me Out probably got the best reaction from the crowd, as soon as the piano intro started people were getting quite excited!

Pixie is a right character :D

Makes sense if there is a tour after the next album, but this depends on how well it does, I suppose.

I did expect a lot of these songs to be played. I could always imagine that Ocean would sound great live. As for the covers, I'm sure she would do Higher and Higher, When Loves Takes Over and Use Somebody.

Nice to hear you enjoyed yourself and have a much greater appreciation of her :)
    Forum Member
    stevie_nix wrote: »
    Are you a fan of both , pixie and s4g ?
    I agree , she's recently been posting lots of "new music" things on twiiter so hopefully something like album 1 will come around

I used to quite like SFG; haven't listened to them for ages though but they're alright. They were just the first example I thought of, of someone with a hits album that didn't have many hits. To be honest I usually prefer more rock music, Pixie is my guilty pleasure that I don't feel guilty about! ;-)
    Thom001 wrote: »
    Pixie is a right character :D

Makes sense if there is a tour after the next album, but this depends on how well it does, I suppose.

I did expect a lot of these songs to be played. I could always imagine that Ocean would sound great live. As for the covers, I'm sure she would do Higher and Higher, When Loves Takes Over and Use Somebody.

Nice to hear you enjoyed yourself and have a much greater appreciation of her :)

Thanks! I already liked Ocean but like it more now. As for covers, don't think she did any of those actually - we got a Motown medley, 'Forget You' and a few other bits, including Ed Sheeran's 'Thinking Out Loud' which was really nice.

I hope she gets to tour properly soon, she seems to love performing live regardless of venue size.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to quite like SFG; haven't listened to them for ages though but they're alright. They were just the first example I thought of, of someone with a hits album that didn't have many hits. To be honest I usually prefer more rock music, Pixie is my guilty pleasure that I don't feel guilty about! ;-)

Thanks! I already liked Ocean but like it more now. As for covers, don't think she did any of those actually - we got a Motown medley, 'Forget You' and a few other bits, including Ed Sheeran's 'Thinking Out Loud' which was really nice.

I hope she gets to tour properly soon, she seems to love performing live regardless of venue size.

Now that is interesting about the covers. I do know that she sang a cover of Forget You for BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge and also on the tour she did back in 2010. As for 'Thinking Out Loud', I know she is a fan of Ed and that when she was a guest on The One Show back in early December last year (the night of the first BBC Music Awards), they showed her a short excerpt of the music video showing Ed dancing with his partner. Really like both songs, even though I'm not very familiar with Ed Sheeran.

Like yourself, I do hope that she does get the opportunity to tour soon, even if it means having to go across to Glasgow :D
  • poboppobop Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    I know of a mutual friend who was in a production team that was consulted on her last album. The label requested a load of blues/jazz inspired songs, but the demos were never returned upon. They never got an answer why.
    Forum Member
    pobop wrote: »
    I know of a mutual friend who was in a production team that was consulted on her last album. The label requested a load of blues/jazz inspired songs, but the demos were never returned upon. They never got an answer why.

That's interesting... and surprising. I was always under the impression that Pixie's label wanted her to make pure pop music, so that really has got me baffled! I still maintain that they don't really seem to know what to do with her though. She had said for a while she wanted to make a soul/Motown influenced album and IMO her last effort succeeded in delivering that, I also think its a very good album despite not doing well commercially.

At least if Pixie puts out music that she's happy with, she can be proud of herself as an artist regardless of sales.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting... and surprising. I was always under the impression that Pixie's label wanted her to make pure pop music, so that really has got me baffled! I still maintain that they don't really seem to know what to do with her though. She had said for a while she wanted to make a soul/Motown influenced album and IMO her last effort succeeded in delivering that, I also think its a very good album despite not doing well commercially.

At least if Pixie puts out music that she's happy with, she can be proud of herself as an artist regardless of sales.

To be honest, they probably don't care. I can picture Pixie not being able to get a lot of answers herself from her record label, she probably doesn't really know what's happening with her own career right now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've recently got more interested in Pixie Lott after being won over by her on Strictly Come Dancing - but the more I read about her career, the more frustrated I get as it seems to me that she is seriously underperforming, partly due to some really bad decisions probably made by her record label. I think part of the problem is they don't know how to market her, and seem to be trying to tick too many boxes and hoping she appeals to everybody. Needless to say its not working! I suspect her second album stuffed up her career as it seemed to throw away what made her debut appealing in favour of more throwaway pop to try and fit in with the latest trends in the chart.

There seem to be 3 sides to Pixie and her music:

1. Sweet girl next door type with a child friendly image who makes catchy pop songs
    2. Slightly raunchy pop starlet
    3. More mature, soulful singer with classic influences on a modern sound

I think someone needs to work out who Pixie is as an artist before her sales sink any lower - I'd like to think she could have a big hit again ('Nasty' went top 10 only last year!) but the main thing IMO is to hold on to those loyal fans she has left and keep them happy. I suspect that an indie label may be better for her now actually.

I don't think the raunchy stuff suits Pixie that well, she seems too 'nice' and I wouldn't want her going all Miley Cyrus on us, so I think she'd be best off releasing more of the ballads she says she likes performing best, with some classy pop songs too, and maybe accepting that the big hits have probably dried up. A few pop stars have done well by taking work in musicals and I could see her doing that well, as she's proved that she can sing, dance and act, and works hard. Maybe doing that and releasing new music on a smaller label is the way forward?

Even though I haven't paid Pixie much attention until last year I get the impression she's a really lovely girl who gets a lot of unfair criticism but she just seems to want to sing and entertain people. If someone like that who can sing, dance and act can't find a place in the music scene then I think that's pretty sad personally.

Anyone agree or am I just rambling to myself here? ;-)

Who?:confused:
    Forum Member
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    To be honest, they probably don't care. I can picture Pixie not being able to get a lot of answers herself from her record label, she probably doesn't really know what's happening with her own career right now.

Well she's over in the States at the moment working on a new album - a few tweets and things have implied it will be a pop/dance sound but we shall see...

I'd love to know how many albums Pixie is contracted to release, when it runs out I still think she should look at other options.