Dreadful ratings show it's time to axe the soap awards.

spungerspunger Posts: 2,656
Forum Member
✭✭✭
TV soaps are not sports so why bother pitting one actor or show against another?
Multi voting makes these awards a sham anyway and made a bit of a joke when appalling actors like Anthony Cotton and the lad who played Dexter can win one. Ratings have plummeted as well so people are increasingly bored by pointless awards.

Comments

• jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It lost around 1m viewers on last year, presumably due to the fact that it took 5 days to air them so most people knew the results.
  • gcmacgcmac Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I think the problem is that the results were revealed on Sunday and the awards weren't shown until last night, it seemed like old news before they put it on TV.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Best thing would be to broadcast it 'live' instead of showing it so many days later.
    But would that create more problems - timing etc, advert breaks and so on. They don't know how long the speeches will be for a start!
    I love these awards myself!
  • Adrian_Ward1Adrian_Ward1 Posts: 13,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should have had it on the Sunday.
  • CorstemmeeCorstemmee Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ridiculous that everyone knew the results so far in advance. If it had all been kept quiet, I'm sure many more would have watched.
  • Soapfan678Soapfan678 Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corstemmee wrote: »
    Ridiculous that everyone knew the results so far in advance. If it had all been kept quiet, I'm sure many more would have watched.

I agree. I did not watch the show, because the results were already revealed before the soap awards were shown on TV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did air against bb and shark
  • bean_of_sbbean_of_sb Posts: 7,839
    Forum Member
    I'm sure they will learn their lesson and air them closer to the event next year.
  • HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't they use to air on a Wednesday and they axed the aftershow party show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's certainly not something i have any interest in watching. You can find out the results online without needing to sit through two hours of boring tv
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    I disagree. It was obvious ratings would be low due to the show being held 5 days later after the event. Could have peaked at 6million if shown last sunday or more so LIVE
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    We live in an age of 24 hours news and social media. It's so obvious results will be released even by people that went to the show. Results were being posted on Twitter as they were being announced. ITV is so clueless.

I am glad ratings fell. It serves ITV right.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anthony Cotton never won best actor, Adam Woodyatt did
  • tellymadmantellymadman Posts: 316
    Forum Member
    Make it live or film very close to transmission. Maybe get Paul O'grady back as host and make it more exciting during the evening
  • Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was disappointing that, by the time the awards were shown on Thursday, we all knew the results so there was no excitement. Do the winners know in advance if they have won an award?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I probably would have watched if I didn't already know who won.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Anthony Cotton never won best actor, Adam Woodyatt did

He did back in 2007.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, it should be aired live. It would get far more publicity. I knew Eastenders had reaped the awards so didn't care to watch it.

Also, the montages get progressively bad year on year. Nothing will top 2008.
  • VIP101VIP101 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh fgs! What a OTT thread!

This is the first year it's hit a very low! It was up against other stuff and the date it was on was just silly! Obviously next year they will learn and put it on a different date! There's no need for it be 'axed'!

Anyway, all soap ratings are at a low atm so doubt loads will tune in anyway.